Going solo

FloorFiller

8 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Freaking out at the idea of doing it alone really, but freaking out even moreso at the idea of not being there at all. 

I think you should hold on to this thought and remember how much worse you would feel if you didn't try.

I hope the posts on this thread have helped convince you / allay your fears.

Personally I think the times that I have pushed myself out of my comfort zone have done me good, and I've felt more confident as a result.

I'm a bit nervous but overall I'm looking forward to my first solo festival and how good it will be to do what I want without worrying about others.

Best wishes :)

I'm not the most outgoing of butterflies, but if you want company for Radiohead, a few of my group will be heading for the front and you're welcome to stand and grin goofily along with us.

Trufax: one of said number is a 'random' off here who was dubious about going solo in '09. I made a similar daft offer then and now we've merged crews. :)

I've made my peace with going solo by accepting that I will get more enjoyment from the music and other performers by doing my thing, but that the payoff is I'm likely to laugh less.

As for meeting people I'm surprisingly shy at introducing myself, but once that's out of the way I'm fine!

Although I have a group of friends and acquaintances who go along, for the past couple or years I've not travelled or camped with them, and I spend 90+% of my time on my own. It's great great fun, but a couple of thoughts for if the going gets tough:

I would say that sometimes I can come to feel a bit lonely - haven't talked to anyone in a while, want to share the exciting experiences of the day etc. - which for me means seeking out and meeting up with a mate for a while. So, maybe worth having a plan for that, like the previously mentioned groups, or just a phone call/text to tell someone at home how great it all is.

The other time I find it can be a bit naff alone is at night. You can't easily chill out watching a band, venues/stages are often either closed or packed busy, and it's a bit more difficult to find/explore things. I've become something of a day-dweller, but any suggestions would be cool.

These things are just situations you might want to think about, but as everyone suggests going solo (as far as my experience is) is perfectly brilliant at the festival.

22 hours ago, comagirl said:

This is basically me! Seriously conflicted about whether to try in the resale tomorrow.The Camp Solo thing sounds great but realistically,  I'm a total introvert, rather shy and fairly awkward with new people. I'm much better after a few drinks of course, but still I'm not kidding myself that I would find it easy to simply camp up with a bunch of strangers! It would be my first Glastonbury too, and I'm worried about just feeling really overwhelmed and alone at such a huge festival by myself :wacko:

I spent 25 years going solo until i joined the first camp solo. 

The beauty as Spindles explained is that they are such are mixed bunch.  Every one differnet in their own way.  Some will group up and go off, others just sit quietly and do their own thing. 

What a nice thread. So many people in the same boat. If my friends are unlucky in the resale I may consider Camp Solo, it sounds really great.

I too am not great at starting conversations but am ok once up and running. I don't mind going on my own it is nice to have the freedom to roam and make your own plans, but it is also nice to share the experience with others too. if the coach can get me on site in time I'll at the very least aim for the efests meet.

If it was a choice between going solo or not going, I'd definitely go. I find Glastonbury to be such an extraordinary experience I couldn't possibly miss out.

On 19/04/2017 at 11:03 AM, FloorFiller said:

So since the main ticket sale the few people I was going with have decided for one reason or another that they no longer want to/can go this year, which is annoying. But I still very much want to go, and ticket success on Sunday pending, intend to go. So, advice on going solo? People who've done it before: was it worth it? Tips etc? I know there's this whole 'Camp Solo' thing going on here but as somebody who is very insular and initially shy in person that sounds like my idea of hell. Freaking out at the idea of doing it alone really, but freaking out even moreso at the idea of not being there at all. I really need to get some better friends.

(I know there have probably been a few of these already, but fuck you, I want my own).

I'm solo this year too man and atm I have no reservations about it....and that's ticket paid for too.

You might find it strange but sober/even drunk around people I've never met or don't know I'm the most nervy, anxious and shy person there is. I even have the whole thing that when it all gets a bit difficult end up going for a pee lol and once that is broke then it seems like every bloody 15 mins so you aren't alone. I don't like them but it's a killer lineup for you so experience this one different. 

Where have you got to travel from?

On 19/04/2017 at 11:29 AM, slash's hat said:

I went on my own my first year, and like you don't easily strike up conversations with strangers. Had a couple of wtf have I done moments - but then was my first one too. I felt much better when the Friday came and had plans for where I wanted to be. Did miss being able to point stuff out and banter with mates, and felt a little self conscious dancing on my own but I did get over that. As you've been before I reckon you'll be fine, and the bonus is not having to hang around for others to wake up etc.

Sure there's plenty on here who will have similar tastes to you and could meet up with. Ben went on his own first year and sure he did a thread on his experience of it too.

On 19/04/2017 at 0:18 PM, Tartan_Glasto said:

Is it bad that I actually never reminded my friends about the balance payment because I've started to like the idea of going on my own? They're pretty head screwed-on people so I'm sure they didn't forget to do it...but still a part of me that won't be bothered if they did forget! I don't know why, I'm ridiculously shy around new people, to the point where it's just awkward. I'm fine with a few drinks in me though.

Nope, if you have to remind people then they probably aren't that bothered about it anyway. There is usually chat in my group on the buildup to it.

Camp Solo is a delight, I'm quite a reserved person but decided to join up when I decided I intensely disliked the people I was meant to be going with last year. Was intending to just use it as a base but from the moment I arrived in Camp I had a blast. Spent a nice balance of time hanging out with people but also a fair bit on my own also. 

Really great group of people and brilliant times. Really helped me not be so nervous.

This message was bought to you by Camp Solo Inc. - Bringing People Together

10 minutes ago, serendipitous said:

Camp Solo is a delight, I'm quite a reserved person but decided to join up when I decided I intensely disliked the people I was meant to be going with last year. Was intending to just use it as a base but from the moment I arrived in Camp I had a blast. Spent a nice balance of time hanging out with people but also a fair bit on my own also. 

Really great group of people and brilliant times. Really helped me not be so nervous.

This message was bought to you by Camp Solo Inc. - Bringing People Together

I can echo this 100%. Totally transformed my experience. 

Just got a ticket in the resale to go alone. I've messaged @Scull99 but i'm really excited to see how the festival is alone. I can see Weds/Thurs being slightly sullen if i don't end up meeting others but the idea of doing EXACTLY what i want in regards to music and the like excites me. No compromising or anything like that. Just watch who i want and chill out with a beer. 

I'm also doing Glastonbury solo, a bit nervous when it comes to meeting new people, but hoping to meet some lovely people with Camp Solo. its reassuring to know I'm not alone in feeling a bit nervous, but also positive stories from those who have previously done the festival solo.

On 19/04/2017 at 9:30 PM, neil_d said:

Although I have a group of friends and acquaintances who go along, for the past couple or years I've not travelled or camped with them, and I spend 90+% of my time on my own. It's great great fun, but a couple of thoughts for if the going gets tough:

I would say that sometimes I can come to feel a bit lonely - haven't talked to anyone in a while, want to share the exciting experiences of the day etc. - which for me means seeking out and meeting up with a mate for a while. So, maybe worth having a plan for that, like the previously mentioned groups, or just a phone call/text to tell someone at home how great it all is.

The other time I find it can be a bit naff alone is at night. You can't easily chill out watching a band, venues/stages are often either closed or packed busy, and it's a bit more difficult to find/explore things. I've become something of a day-dweller, but any suggestions would be cool.

These things are just situations you might want to think about, but as everyone suggests going solo (as far as my experience is) is perfectly brilliant at the festival.

Hi, I get what you mean about nighttime entertainment. Have you checked out the Small World Stage/tent in the greenfields? Really chilled atmosphere, music (obviously perhaps) on the 'hippy' side but really good quality. Stage goes on late and is also open Wed night. As the name implies it is small.! Another option is the circus big top, world class acts in there and can be a little risque in the early hours. You won't be out of place on your own in either of these.

38 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Hi, I get what you mean about nighttime entertainment. Have you checked out the Small World Stage/tent in the greenfields? Really chilled atmosphere, music (obviously perhaps) on the 'hippy' side but really good quality. Stage goes on late and is also open Wed night. As the name implies it is small.! Another option is the circus big top, world class acts in there and can be a little risque in the early hours. You won't be out of place on your own in either of these.

They have stuff on in the cabaret until about 1:55 if you like comedy. Usually some pretty good comedians and quite relaxed. 

First yr I went I was practically on my own due to going with a couple & we didn't want to see the same bands or go the same places. So just went off most of the time, can echo what everyone else has said in that it's not a scary place & there's always someone to chat to if you need to. Had a wonderful time exploring & doing my own thing in my own time.  

Definitely would consider going on my own if it came down to it without a doubt 

Good morning fellow solo campers. I have finally returned all the messages I have received this week (apologise for the delay ive been away with work).

Look forward to hearing from you all and seeing those wonderful faces on the green in June :)

Much love

Scully

Welp that was a bad time for my internet to decide to crap out :lol: although thank fuck it decided to fix itself before Sunday. Managed to find some people to go with in the end (or at least set my tent up next to) so this whole thing is now null and void, although glad to see others finding use with it, and (ticket pending, of course) I may still take up some of the offers that have been given, although knowing me when drunk/at festivals I'll forget to do any of it and just stumble about the place alone and somehow make it back to my tent every night.

Last year I was alone for quite a lot of the festival.  My daughter was working so I camped with her in Goose Hall but she worked 8 hours a day and even when not working we didn't necessarily want to do the same thing.  A daughter of a friend and her boyfriend were also there and I met up with them occasionally.  But as I said, a lot of time spent alone.  My thoughts:  it was great to be able to wander around without caring what other people wanted to do.  For instance, a couple of times I was at something I really wanted to see but wasn't feeling it, so I left and did something else - I didn't have to try and work out whether whoever I might have been with felt the same.  I missed the sharing of good things.   I did get chatting sometimes to people but not as much as I thought.  I think funnily enough the mud might have had an impact on this as it was difficult to just sprawl around.  I am a middle-aged woman - I really don't know if this would make any difference one way or the other.  

I am currently considering my position for this year.  I haven't got a ticket (yet!) as failed in the main sale and yesterday.  Was trying for myself and my friend who is very keen to go as have never been able to before as she worked in a school.  But when I input her reg number it wasn't valid.  She is away in Colombia.  I have sent her a text, a Whatsapp message and a FB message.  But although the Whatsapp has been marked as seen, she hasn't replied yet.

In the excitement of last night I was really up for going on my own and tried my utmost to get a coach ticket for myself.  Then this morning I started doubting myself and wondered whether I could do the best part of a week on my own.

But now, having read this, I'm in and will be trying for a ticket on Sunday.  And would love to be part of Camp Solo - sounds ideal.  I considered it last year but the "luxury" of camping in the staff field was difficult to resist!

Sorry for the length of this post - I'm rambling!

On 19/04/2017 at 0:56 PM, JMDS said:

The only pre-requiste for camp solo is to partake in power ballad yoga on the thursday morning.  If not you will be put on the camp fire and told stories by wolf from the gladiators.

But really it's a place to camp if you want to mix it with singing dentists and fake welsh accents it's totally your choice.  If not you can slope off an enjoy glasto totally solo or even in a coma?

On 20/04/2017 at 10:43 AM, fluff164 said:

I spent 25 years going solo until i joined the first camp solo. 

The beauty as Spindles explained is that they are such are mixed bunch.  Every one differnet in their own way.  Some will group up and go off, others just sit quietly and do their own thing. 

Thanks for the encouragement! After much deliberating, I decided to just go for it and managed to secure a ticket in the resale yesterday. I know it's going to be the right decision. ^_^

So, um... see you there I guess!

56 minutes ago, comagirl said:

Thanks for the encouragement! After much deliberating, I decided to just go for it and managed to secure a ticket in the resale yesterday. I know it's going to be the right decision. ^_^

So, um... see you there I guess!

The best decision!