What do you do with your old tents (love the farm, leave no trace)

bexj

I always bring my tent home... and as a result, I've now got 7 mainly broken tents in the cupboard under the stairs.   I'm not keen on sending them to landfill, but most are too broken to viably repair.  I can't really move house to get a bigger understair space.... what do you do with them?

15 minutes ago, bexj said:

I always bring my tent home... and as a result, I've now got 7 mainly broken tents in the cupboard under the stairs.   I'm not keen on sending them to landfill, but most are too broken to viably repair.  I can't really move house to get a bigger understair space.... what do you do with them?

Seven? What the fuck are you doing to them?  How many years/festivals is that over?

Haha about 25 years of festivals and camping trips, some wombled ones and one that belongs to a friend who couldn't tell his (now ex) wife he liked festivals! 

3 hours ago, bexj said:

Haha about 25 years of festivals and camping trips, some wombled ones and one that belongs to a friend who couldn't tell his (now ex) wife he liked festivals! 

He couldn't tell his wife he liked festivals? Wow. No wonder it's ex wife. I didn't mean than nastily by the way. Realised when I typed it, it might have looked that way.

why couldn't he say he liked festivals?

sorry I'm no help on your actually issue. I have a broken one in my possession too!..

Long story Perks,  but he had a whole web of things he didn't tell his wife about. I don't know how he did for 15 years, but there you go... he's a good man.

So no better ideas than dump it at Latitude?

3 hours ago, bexj said:

Long story Perks,  but he had a whole web of things he didn't tell his wife about. I don't know how he did for 15 years, but there you go... he's a good man.

So no better ideas than dump it at Latitude?

No wonder she's his ex-wife, some severe communication issues in that relationship!  I love judging people from tiny snippits of information!

Send them to me.. I'll make something out of them.. No landfill.. Before I got my beddie I collected tents at each festival we went to then gave them to people how didn't have a tent either for camping or festival events. 

I own three tents, all in good condition mainly (ok one might have a few suspicious little holes in the groundsheet) - have only ever had to send one to landfill after someone rocking back and forth in a camping chair fell backwards and straight through the side of the tent (thankfully on the last night of the festival in question!) - there was no coming back for that one - shame to send it to landfill, but it was the only option as I had no use for the fabric or poles (and it was a Lidl purchased tent too - so wasnt losing much money on it)

12 hours ago, bexj said:

Christ!  What did he tell his then wife when he actually attended a festival?  "Just popping off to the shops love..."

If you tent is knackered it's worth putting the poles up on ebay. In 2015 I came back to my tent to find someone asleep on top of it, the 2 of the 3 poles had snapped - luckily I had some electrical tape so along with a couple of tent pegs I could bodge a fix that lasted to the end of the festival. Tried to find new poles but the manufacturer wanted a lot for them so it wasn't worth it, it was cheaper to buy a new tent.

My advise re tents is to buy a decent one, they you don't need to keep buying them every year. After mine got destroyed a bought a cheap one from Decathlon and I have no reason to think it won't last a good few years, so not sure why anyone would have a load of old tents in their loft.

Edited by Johnnyseven

I have to admit, I don't camp in tents that I need to take back anymore I use one of Glasto's many alternative options  - this is because I HATE taking my tent down on the Monday when I'm knackered and have been guilty at other festivals of just leaving everything.