Beers

weeksy97

2 minutes ago, Eks101 said:

San Miguel is another beer from the Carlsberg stable, so I'd imagine it will just be the company allowing mixing their beers across different bars.

A couple of things to note about small breweries - most of them will only produce the amount of beer they know they can sell, and their breweries are geared up to this level of production (staff, materials, equipment, casks/kegs).  Many of them will run at 100% capacity.  To expect one of them to run a fully stocked bar at Glastonbury would mean they would likely have to divert their entire operation (during one of their busies times - beer festival season) to the festival and all the logistics around doing this. The net result would probably mean a lot of effort for not much profit than they would ordinarily make supplying bars/bottle shops, who would now be miffed because the brewery they supported all year chose to to prioritize a festival over them.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is a stretch and I'd imagine would need to be done as a generic craft beer bar with multiple breweries involved.  At that point I could see Carlsberg kicking off and putting beer supply of the entire rest of the site at risk.

What makes you think Carlsberg have that much power?  There are other suppliers available.  I doubt they really have that much leverage.  

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What makes you think Carlsberg have that much power?  There are other suppliers available.  I doubt they really have that much leverage.  

There are only a few that could supply across a huge site like Glastonbury and all of them will have similar restrictions and their commercial interests come first.  Glastonbury need them more than the other way round. 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Drinks/Beer/Glastonbury-signs-up-Tuborg

They do all the festivals. 3m pints drank during festie season. They're festival fit but they are slowly poisoning everyone.

1 hour ago, justtinw said:

Adnams Ghost Ship was by far the best warm beer for me last year. Also comes in those mini kegs

Are security cool with those kegs going in? If so I might take a couple with me as well. 

Bath Ales Gem is readily available in those as well so that could be a game changer.

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Carlsberg Export was pretty widely available for a while from what I remember.  I think I vaguely remember @glasto-worker saying it was phased out because it didn't sell very well?  Although the chances are I made that up!

I certainly made comments but ' I don't think I mentioned Sales ' - some marketing genius thought up Tuborg - in fact if you were a drinker in say 1970 it was very common to see Tuborg bottles in Nightclubs - it certainly did not taste anything like the current ' Tuborg draft ' .

In the past 30 years the main draft lager in the main bars were - not in any DATE order

Budweiser
Carling
Carlsberg { which was later called Carlsberg Cold }
Carlsberg Export
Tuborg

now at what point this marketing genius thought up Tuborg I cant say all I know is Carlsberg Cold is miles better than Tuborg.

going by the price list - I think it may have been close to 2008 when Tuborg first went on sale.

I still see Carlsberg Cold and Carlsberg Export but only in small kegs and its years since I have seen it within ' Public Bars '

These Beer Contracts run for 7 years - Now in Ireland the Company that won the current WBC contract was in fact Heineken so you never know what may happen in the future.

Now its easy to target a Company but the WBC looks at many things and top of the list is 

Can the lager supplier produce enough to meet demand ? - this reduces the list to a very small handful.

If I was in charge of Carlsberg I would ditch Tuborg and switch to mass production of Carlsberg Cold and Carlsberg Export.

sure Carlsberg Export did cost a bit more but I never really picked up on any one being upset that it was a bit extra - sure drink prices at festivals is high but drop into the 02 or Wembley Stadium and its like £8+ 

glasto-price-list.jpg

price-list-young.jpg

Edited by glasto-worker

17 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

I certainly made comments but ' I don't think I mentioned Sales ' - some marketing genius thought up Tuborg - in fact if you were a drinker in say 1970 it was very common to see Tuborg bottles in Nightclubs - it certainly did not taste anything like the current ' Tuborg draft ' .

In the past 30 years the main draft lager in the main bars were - not in any DATE order

Budweiser
Carling
Carlsberg { which was later called Carlsberg Cold }
Carlsberg Export
Tuborg

now at what point this marketing genius thought up Tuborg I cant say all I know is Carlsberg Cold is miles better than Tuborg.

going by the price list - I think it may have been close to 2008 when Tuborg first went on sale.

I still see Carlsberg Cold and Carlsberg Export but only in small kegs and its years since I have seen it within ' Public Bars '

These Beer Contracts run for 7 years - Now in Ireland the Company that won the current WBC contract was in fact Heineken so you never know what may happen in the future.

Now its easy to target a Company but the WBC looks at many things and top of the list is 

Can the lager supplier produce enough to meet demand ? - this reduces the list to a very small handful.

If I was in charge of Carlsberg I would ditch Tuborg and switch to mass production of Carlsberg Cold and Carlsberg Export.

sure Carlsberg Export did cost a bit more but I never really picked up on any one being upset that it was a bit extra - sure drink prices at festivals is high but drop into the 02 or Wembley Stadium and its like £8+ 

glasto-price-list.jpg

price-list-young.jpg

Right now (not sure when this changed from the old Tuborg you mention), Carlsberg and Tuborg are exactly the same beers (as confirmed by the channel manager I know). Carlsberg use it for festivals as they view Carlsberg as a more premium product and insist on higher standards (such as it must be served  at a certain temperature etc), hence branding it tuborg at festivals etc.

Edited by justtinw

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Are security cool with those kegs going in? If so I might take a couple with me as well. 

Bath Ales Gem is readily available in those as well so that could be a game changer.

No problems with it last year. Managed to pick a couple up for £11 each in Tesco. A steal

Im tempted to bite the bullet with cost and buy 20 cans of Sierra Nevada (Nectar of the gods). Having a can of my favorite tipple on stand by every time i start to get bored of warm lager/ale will be worth it!

Its a shame Laguinitas doesnt come in cans yet, my missus absolutely loves the stuff so it would have been nice to surprise her with a case. A few people have been slagging it off since it got bought out by Heineken but its still a bloody good beer.

"Full can of Red Bull comes with the measure of Vodka"

Why is a single spirit and cola £3.50 yet with Red Bull it is £5.70 when a small cola on it's own is only 60p less than as a can of Red Bull?

Edited by Eks101

6 hours ago, justtinw said:

Right now (not sure when this changed from the old Tuborg you mention), Carlsberg and Tuborg are exactly the same beers (as confirmed by the channel manager I know). Carlsberg use it for festivals as they view Carlsberg as a more premium product and insist on higher standards (such as it must be served  at a certain temperature etc), hence branding it tuborg at festivals etc.

Well if you look back at previous threads you will find thousands of posts from Customers who are not keen on Tuborg and whatever they have done its not the same as normal Carlsberg.

I have never seen anyone claim its the same product - No one who works for  Carlsberg has ever made that claim either.

With regards the temperature the WBC spends a fortune to control the temperature so be it Tuborg or Carlsberg the end result is the same but they taste far different.

what changes they have made I cant say all I know is demand for Tuborg is well down.

Edited by glasto-worker

8 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

what changes they have made I cant say all I know is demand for Tuborg is well down.

Thank fuck its not just me. I like a nice cold lager to freshen the pallet between ciders but avoid Tuborg like the plague. It really reduces the number of pints of lager i drink at the festival. Hopefully the downturn in demand will drive change to something nicer.

18 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

Well if you look back at previous threads you will find thousands of posts from Customers who are not keen on Tuborg and whatever they have done its not the same as normal Carlsberg.

I have never seen anyone claim its the same product - No one who works for  Carlsberg has ever made that claim either.

With regards the temperature the WBC spends a fortune to control the temperature so be it Tuborg or Carlsberg the end result is the same but they taste far different.

Carlsberg, Carling, Fosters, Tuborg - all terrible lagers. I can't tell the difference.

What is different with Tuborg is it seems to be a festival brand, but in a bad way. It's got an association as that crap lager you have to drink because you're at a festival and you don't have any choice.

I've no idea if it's the same drink as Carlsberg, but the brand is heavily tarnished - I don't think their strategy has worked.

18 minutes ago, maclauk said:

Thank fuck its not just me. I like a nice cold lager to freshen the pallet between ciders but avoid Tuborg like the plague. It really reduces the number of pints of lager i drink at the festival. Hopefully the downturn in demand will drive change to something nicer.

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Carlsberg, Carling, Fosters, Tuborg - all terrible lagers. I can't tell the difference.

What is different with Tuborg is it seems to be a festival brand, but in a bad way. It's got an association as that crap lager you have to drink because you're at a festival and you don't have any choice.

I've no idea if it's the same drink as Carlsberg, but the brand is heavily tarnished - I don't think their strategy has worked.

from a Carlsberg site 

Can you tell Carlsberg from Tuborg ? 

While some people are fiercely loyal to their preferred brand, others just can’t tell them apart

Carlsberg and Tuborg are both medium bitter pilsners, but Carlsberg is slightly more bitter and has a more accentuated hop aroma and fruitiness. Tuborg has more acidity in the taste.

--------

yes I would agree as I certainly would not drink Tuborg - lucky enough the bar I work only uses Pub Kegs so we will grab all the Carlsberg but many large bars only use Tankers .

its a shame but the last time I saw a Tanker with Carlsberg in it was nearly ten years ago.

Image9889894981.thumb.jpg.d04e31a22b3c4b561def7b54efd0d4aa.jpg

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Completely agree with this. Served freezing cold as they always are they taste absolutely identical and I'm convinced if you did a blind taste test the vast majority of punters wouldn't get it right.

6 hours ago, PorkSoda said:

Does anyone know the best place to buy craft cans. I'm looking to get some Elvis juice and best I can see is Amazon. But was wondering if any good sites possibly with a welcome offer 10% off that sort of thing?

Not sure if this is cheaper than what you saw on Amazon;

https://beerhunter.co.uk/brewdog-elvis-juice-330ml-6-562.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2-bHBRDEh6qk5b6yqKIBEiQAFUz29tShfQLHkASCcNwFjAr0YCnhCz6IChvXaNs0oUnYx-waAuio8P8HAQ#152=61

If it is cheaper, then you might want to email them first to check that it is cans you are buying and not bottles, as the overall advert says cans but the check out says bottles.