Beers

weeksy97

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried any craft ales?  They can have the refreshing crispness of lager, but taste ok at room temperature. I'm very keen on these:

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/13-Guns/288780011

But to answer your question more directly, I don't think any proper lagers taste nice warm.  I would recommend looking for another beer than gives you what you're looking for from lager.  Or just buy from the bar.

28 minutes ago, weeksy97 said:

Any lager drinkers on here that could reccommend a decent one that still doesn't taste that bad after the glasto sun has been on it ,took cider last year and was fine but more into lager now.

Desperadoes. Taste good still warm, get you nice and rattled too.

14 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Two tips:

1 Leave cans under your tent over night. This will cool them down.

2 Leave em floating in some water. This will also cool them down.

3 Leave them in the water and go and buy a nice cold cider

FTFY ;)

15 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Two tips:

1 Leave cans under your tent over night. This will cool them down.

2 Leave em floating in some water. This will also cool them down.

Another tip. Save a pint cup and dispense your cans into it. Nothing worse that holding onto a can while the hot sun turns your ale into something that resembles alcoholic tea.

While we're here, can I change the subject away from lager?

I drank Abbott Ale last year - wasn't a bad choice. Cheap and cheerful, and goes down well warm. I'm usually a 100+ IBU IPA sort of guy, but that shit is less than ideal for consumption warm when hungover to fuck. I think the sweeter 4.5 to 5% ales are the way to go. Anyone got any nice malty ones to recommend that are around in 500ml tinnies?

Ahhh so good to see booze related threads appearing, shows we're started to get close now :D. I personally always take some Budweiser, I don't really drink it outside of the festival but I know that I can drink about 20 cans of the stuff in an evening and be okay, plus I can tolerate it warm. But as I'm currently swigging on a can on Brewdog Elvis Juice, I'm seriously considering taking some of Brewdogs wares this year, not sure how they would hold up warm though ...

31 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

While we're here, can I change the subject away from lager?

I drank Abbott Ale last year - wasn't a bad choice. Cheap and cheerful, and goes down well warm. I'm usually a 100+ IBU IPA sort of guy, but that shit is less than ideal for consumption warm when hungover to fuck. I think the sweeter 4.5 to 5% ales are the way to go. Anyone got any nice malty ones to recommend that are around in 500ml tinnies?

yes. you want wychwood hobgoblin for malty, its actually a very nice ale which i had dismissed prior but i got some on offer and it was just dandy.

if you like a brighter, hoppier ale I personally love Moorland Old golden Hen (not old speckled!) this is a lovely blond session ale but with a hoppy bite at the end. I would recommend this to the OP too, its not a lager but it is a beer that drinks nicely when only partially cold. 

Old Golden was just on offer at waitrose. Cider wise they just had stowford press on offer too. I also find the golden hen cans taste better than if you get glass bottles. Cans are definitely the future, far superior taste to bottles for me - particularly for brash hoppy craft beers but also for most beers!

Edited by Memory Man

15 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Ahhh so good to see booze related threads appearing, shows we're started to get close now :D. I personally always take some Budweiser, I don't really drink it outside of the festival but I know that I can drink about 20 cans of the stuff in an evening and be okay, plus I can tolerate it warm. But as I'm currently swigging on a can on Brewdog Elvis Juice, I'm seriously considering taking some of Brewdogs wares this year, not sure how they would hold up warm though ...

A few craft cans go down a treat as perhaps one or two per day to break up the less good flavoursome stuff! I had an american IPA i forget on sunday last year and it was still fine - you don't have to be too worried about them being 100% icy cold. The aforementioned bucket of water or under the tent job will do fine.  

30 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

A few craft cans go down a treat as perhaps one or two per day to break up the less good flavoursome stuff! I had an american IPA i forget on sunday last year and it was still fine - you don't have to be too worried about them being 100% icy cold. The aforementioned bucket of water or under the tent job will do fine.  

Yeah I think I might just take about 12 of the stubby Brewdog cans to have as and when I need some flavour injections. I bought a lot of beer from the bars last year for the first time which was nice, however with the line up looking the best since I've been going for me, I might not have time for bar visits!

Maybe the worst thing about the festival. The beer is utter slop. And don't be coming at me with the Otter's Pocket or whatever weaktea they serve in the AveInn. That the likes of Siren/Beavertown/Cloudwater etc don't have a single keg on site is dire.