Don't vote Tory

dimus

34 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I'm a bit confused here. Your youngest has just manager to get on the property ladder with her partner but has had to sacrifice having children to do so, whereas you managed to buy a house on your own with two children, but you're saying things were just as difficult for you?

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding but that doesn't seem to make sense to me. If you were able to buy a house in that situation compared to her then surely you had it a lot easier?

I bought a house with my then husband then waited 2.5 years before having my first child ,, after a split I rented  with 2 children then started from scratch , a few years later got a very tiny property on my own with the kids... easy ??? far from it and no my husband didn't pay maintenance and didn't give me any equity out of our joint property ...there wasn't much to take .  I took any job I could and also tried to get a small business off the ground in-between... it can be done but far from easy . I lived on very little sleep and fed the kids before me 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bamber said:

No, If you accept that Imperialism/Colonialism was wrong then you can't somehow pick and choose which territories we hang on to. Most of the former empire has now rightly been returned to the original inhabitants, We need to finish the job. Let it go.

My family line includes a great uncle who went missing fighting the British in India in the 1930s. I don't need any lectures on colonialism from you thanks. Most British colonialism has been absolutely toxic and is a shameful part of our history. Most British colonialism subjugated the native population, took away their rightful autonomy and persisted with a legacy of death and destruction.

But you have very little understanding of the issues if you think NI and the Falklands are remotely comparable as situations. The Falklands is a pretty cut and dried situation. The local population want nothing to do with Argentina. It was invaded by an Argentinian fascist junta who made Thatcher look like Corbyn in comparison. It never belonged to Argentina.

NI is altogether much more complex, but saying we should just hand it back over because colonialism is empty headed and completely ignores those complex issues. It makes little sense to give the South a vote - surely only the people that live in the area should determine who governs them?

Don't we have to address two separate, but related, issues?  How Brexit will be negotiated and how the UK will be governed over the next few years? With or without Brexit the UK government has a lot of UK issues to deal with and decisions to take, such as levels of taxation, health and social care.

Interest rates, which impact on house purchase through mortgage rates and mortgage availability, tend to be fairly global these days.  No country can manage for long with a national bank base rate that it wildly out of kilter with the rest of the world.

Exchange rates are a different matter - the value of the pound against the Euro, Dollar or whatever will largely depend on how Britain's economy is viewed from both inside and outside the UK.  I've just come back from a holiday in Italy and decided, as I wasn't planning another European holiday in the near future, to cash in my left over Euros which I did on the morning of the election.  That night the value of the Pound fell, so at least I got a half-decent rate but still piss poor compared to a few years ago when we got almost two Euros to the Pound.

The Tories/DUP situation is like only having 6 players for your 7-a-side football team, and you have to ask anybody you can find to play at the last minute, just to make up the numbers. 

Even though the person you ask to play is a complete arsehole - it still allows the game to go ahead. 

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

Don't we have to address two separate, but related, issues?  How Brexit will be negotiated and how the UK will be governed over the next few years? With or without Brexit the UK government has a lot of UK issues to deal with and decisions to take, such as levels of taxation, health and social care.

Interest rates, which impact on house purchase through mortgage rates and mortgage availability, tend to be fairly global these days.  No country can manage for long with a national bank base rate that it wildly out of kilter with the rest of the world.

Exchange rates are a different matter - the value of the pound against the Euro, Dollar or whatever will largely depend on how Britain's economy is viewed from both inside and outside the UK.  I've just come back from a holiday in Italy and decided, as I wasn't planning another European holiday in the near future, to cash in my left over Euros which I did on the morning of the election.  That night the value of the Pound fell, so at least I got a half-decent rate but still piss poor compared to a few years ago when we got almost two Euros to the Pound.

I agree with what your saying but the currency thing is least of or worries. Historically GBP/EUR has only ever been at 1.70 max and that was back when the Euro was launched. There are pros and cons of either a strong or weak currency, indeed a strong currency is generally more of an issue and there are plenty of central banks who have intervened in currency markets to weaken their currency off. The Swiss have been trying all sorts of things over the last few years because people want to hold their currency but it harms their major manufacturers as a result, who export to the European countries around them. It certainly won't help us with inflation, but if you're an exporter you'll be running your hands.

I am very behind on glastonbury prep due to obsessing over the election - I was so stressed out about I couldn't concentrate on listening to new music etc. Then just before the exit poll, rumours started leaking out that the Tories had secured a 100 seat majority and I was devised, then the exit poll came out and I went to sheer joy (then worry again, then joy when I woke up and all was well!).

So do you think there's a good chance Jeremy Corbyn will turn up at Glastonbury? He was due on leftfield last year but had to cancel due to the leadership contest. John Mcdonnell is there this year (also was due last year but had to cancel) as is Clive Lewis (who was very good last year) 

57 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I am very behind on glastonbury prep due to obsessing over the election - I was so stressed out about I couldn't concentrate on listening to new music etc. Then just before the exit poll, rumours started leaking out that the Tories had secured a 100 seat majority and I was devised, then the exit poll came out and I went to sheer joy (then worry again, then joy when I woke up and all was well!).

So do you think there's a good chance Jeremy Corbyn will turn up at Glastonbury? He was due on leftfield last year but had to cancel due to the leadership contest. John Mcdonnell is there this year (also was due last year but had to cancel) as is Clive Lewis (who was very good last year) 

It would be fitting if he was there.

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

It would be brilliant. I'd miss anything to be there.

The atmosphere this year compared to last after Brexit is going to be ace. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

Leftfield isnt big enough. A main stage might be the the only place you could do it.

6 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Leftfield isnt big enough. A main stage might be the the only place you could do it.

Yep, I was thinking pyramid like they did with Caroline lucas a few years ago and the dalai lama last year

Where could they fit him on the Pyramid though? The line up is already packed. Of course had they known they could've easily shuffled one of the Pyramid acts elsewhere, but a bit hard to do that now.

Agree that Leftfield is way too small - even I'd like to see him now but didn't really have much interest before the election as I'd assumed it was going to be after a disastrous defeat!

11 hours ago, babyblade41 said:

As for student debt re" tuition fees " I actually think it's a pretty fair system as it is:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes

I don't think the current system is hugely unfair, I think people who reap the benefits of university should pay back into when they're older, especially as they have a greater earning potential. But plenty of people are still alive who had the benefit of a free or cheaper university education. I don't think it's unfair to ask them to pay in too.

A graduate tax at a similar level to the current loan repayment (9% on everything over 20K) would raise a fuckload. Realistically it could be a lot smaller (1% on everything over 20k) and make the same or more money.

7 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Where could they fit him on the Pyramid though? The line up is already packed. Of course had they known they could've easily shuffled one of the Pyramid acts elsewhere, but a bit hard to do that now.

Agree that Leftfield is way too small - even I'd like to see him now but didn't really have much interest before the election as I'd assumed it was going to be after a disastrous defeat!

There's no issue with putting him on between acts - he's not going to need a full band setup and soundcheck.

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

There's no issue with putting him on between acts - he's not going to need a full band setup and soundcheck.

Would it mess with other acts' setting up and their sound checks etc? Or could that all happen at the same time?

The Pyramid would seem the best fit but unless he has a pretty short speech it may be an issue.

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

The pyramid crowd is so full of tories he'd get the same response as Lucas..

I thought this was all about love to all not love to all as  long as you support a political party ... you'd be surprised how many tory people will be in the crowd ... 

1 hour ago, arcade fireman said:

Would it mess with other acts' setting up and their sound checks etc? Or could that all happen at the same time?

The Pyramid would seem the best fit but unless he has a pretty short speech it may be an issue.

It shouldn't be an issue. Actual soundchecks are done overnight so it's just mic and lead checks - you'd probably want to allow ten minutes of a completely empty stage for that but things can be wheeled on and off and plugged in and out while he speaking. It's how it was done in the past too with speakers at Glastonbury and is par for the course with gigs that have MCs