Don't vote Tory

dimus

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Hate to say it but I would be amazed if any of the above happens. I think we're stuck with Tory/DUP for as long as it is tenable. And I think May will stay for a good few months as they won't want to rock the boat even more for a bit.

I really don't think it's going to work. Even with the DUP she'll need every single Tory to vote with her to get anything through. And that's a tall order.

35 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

The queen doesn't make a decision.   She's not political. The whole business about 'asking her' is just a bit of tradition. 

We'll have another general election before Corbyn can do anything, because he can't come up with any sort of alliance that will give him the majority needed to rule. 

Yes - the queen doesn't 'make a decision' and the largest party have first dibs on forming a government.

10 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

I really don't think it's going to work. Even with the DUP she'll need every single Tory to vote with her to get anything through. And that's a tall order.

The critical issue is passing a budget. With such a slim majority (if we include the DUP) any budget will require broad support across the house. I can see this leading to a more socially responsible budget than would otherwise have been the case.

Additionally, May called this election to increase the Tory majority to dilute the hard-brexit message from the parliamentary tory party (she and her team always wanted a soft-brexit). The DUP are totally soft-brexit (read their manifesto) so in a roundabout way she now has more support for her soft-brexit plan. 

BUT watch for the messages from the Tory big guns when they finally decide to show their faces. Their stance will dictate the next steps. Anything from a rally round for May and a soft brexit through to another general election.

10 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Nice idea but would it even work? Doesn't Parliament have to be reformed before they can discuss it. By that point the DUP will be officially part of the government. 

An interesting point; chicken and egg. I really can't see May surviving the month, the question is who could take her place? 

The whole situation is a cluster fuck of their own making, can't imagine the EU are quaking at the prospect of tough brexit negotiations.

Edited by oneeye

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Would have to have a referendum first. North and south. Id vote no. Dont want the DUP or more Sinn Fein near Dublin. Theyre all c**ts.

This DUP thing is worrying on a lot of levels though. She should really know better than stirring the pot. Its an angry part of the world.

We need more Patience, true.

17 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

There'll surely be a bit of a power shift from the loony fringes of the tories (Rees-Mogg, Redwood etc) who had way too much as and air time to the Ken Clarke's and Anna Soubry's of the party.

They should now be empowered to vote against their weak leader if they don't like her version of Brexit which will then anger the aforementioned loonies.

Big fall out ensues...... fingers crossed anyway. 

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Hate to say it but I would be amazed if any of the above happens. I think we're stuck with Tory/DUP for as long as it is tenable. And I think May will stay for a good few months as they won't want to rock the boat even more for a bit.

This.

What a turn up.  I would never have guessed last Thursday morning that it would end up with May having to 'consider her position' as opposed to Jeremy. If she's not capable of running a decent election campaign what does it say about her competency to negotiate a decent Brexit?

7 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

What a turn up.  I would never have guessed last Thursday morning that it would end up with May having to 'consider her position' as opposed to Jeremy. If she's not capable of running a decent election campaign what does it say about her competency to negotiate a decent Brexit?

I'm betting if you asked the answer would be "Strong and stable"

ps. 

Edited by frostypaw

May is a dead woman walking.  She's only still in the job to get the, now painful (for the tories), formailities out of the way.  Somebody has to start the Brexit talks.  Her front line career and her dream job are over, and I'd bet she'd have gone yesterday morning if she could have.

Instead she has go get on with it - who else would want to be in that position right now?  No successor has yet come forward but the lack of support from her own party speaks volumes.  She got herself into this mess, she has to suffer the consequences.  I suspect many of her colleagues will be quietly enjoying watching her squirm her way through it.

Tories have never been shy at getting rid of those that fail to deliver victory, even when they haven't been as responsible for the whole shambles as May has in calling an un-needed election.  As such, I expect her to go over the summer and a new leader in place for the conference in September.

Then it'll be interesting to see if the new leader calles yet another election, which will be deeply unpopular with voters, or tries to struggle on with the practically unworkable coalition that was formed yesterday.  Rock, meet Hard Place.

This whole situation is entirely the fault of the Tories.  From Cameron calling an unnecessary EU referendum to May calling an unnecessary election, both of which have blown back in their faces.  An omnishambles entirely of their own devise.

Forgive me if i haven't yet stopped chuckling at the c**ts.

Cameron didn't want to deal with Brexit, neither did Johnson. The tories have made their bed and now they have to deal with the shit.

May will remain in power as long as no one else wants to be the pilot for the impeding crash that is Brexit. No doubt she will have a secure future away from government once this is finally concluded. 

3 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

An omnishambles entirely of their own devise.

Forgive me if i haven't yet stopped chuckling at the c**ts.

It's incredible really. I can't believe how quickly it has disintegrated for them. 2017 feeld so much better than 2016 on this front at least. 

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Cameron didn't want to deal with Brexit, neither did Johnson. The tories have made their bed and now they have to deal with the shit.

May will remain in power as long as no one else wants to be the pilot for the impeding crash that is Brexit. No doubt she will have a secure future away from government once this is finally concluded. 

I can't think of any job that May would be qualified for? Career Politicians have very few options when they fail.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Tory/DUP is already untenable though, given the serious risk it poses to the stability of NI. Plus of course any power-sharing demands the DUP make will go down like a lead balloon with the more liberal side of the conservative party let alone the rest of the nation.  

May has landed the Tories in an truly awful position, it's quite remarkable really lol. Wouldn't be at all surprised if she's gone by this time next week, if they don't rock the boat some more straight away they face capsizing it altogether in a years time.

Question is I think, are the Tories more concerned with doing what's right for the country or what's right for the conservative party? It's them putting their party first that has lead the country into this awful brexit situation, and then they've made that 10 times worse with the unnecessary snap election called for party political purposes.

It'll never happen, but I think they should step aside and let a progressive alliance have a go at steadying the ship for the greater good.

2 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Tory/DUP is already untenable though, given the serious risk it poses to the stability of NI. Plus of course any power-sharing demands the DUP make will go down like a lead balloon with the more liberal side of the conservative party let alone the rest of the nation.  

May has landed the Tories in an truly awful position, it's quite remarkable really lol. Wouldn't be at all surprised if she's gone by this time next week, if they don't rock the boat some more straight away they face capsizing it altogether in a years time.

Question is I think, are the Tories more concerned with doing what's right for the country or what's right for the conservative party? It's them putting their party first that has lead the country into this awful brexit situation, and then they've made that 10 times worse with the unnecessary snap election called for party political purposes.

It'll never happen, but I think they should step aside and let a progressive alliance have a go at steadying the ship for the greater good.

Quite clearly it's their party. The referendum was Cameron's method of getting them elected, as a carrot to a growing pool of UKIP voters. The snap election was a means of getting a bigger majority to make things easier for them. Both times they've very arrogantly underestimated the population and the oppositions ability to campaign against what them. The absolute mess that is Brexit shows there was no consideration for it being voted for and absolutely no plan in place, they gave the country a vote they absolutely didn't need and mostly didn't want to further their own interests, now they've done it again less than a year later.

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

A question for those that understand the Irish situation better, could Sinn Fein decide they want to take their seats in Westminster after all to combat the influence of the DUP?

This has crossed my mind too.

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

A question for those that understand the Irish situation better, could Sinn Fein decide they want to take their seats in Westminster after all to combat the influence of the DUP?

They'd never swear allegiance to the Queen so wouldn't ever consider  taking their seats 

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

A question for those that understand the Irish situation better, could Sinn Fein device they want to take their seats in Westminster after all to combat the influence of the DUP?

They could but would have to swear and oath to the Queen!

So no.

Just now, babyblade41 said:

They'd never swear allegiance to the Queen so wouldn't ever consider  taking their seats 

Quite why any of our politicians need to swear allegiance to the Queen is something that has always escaped me to be honest.

Republican.

29 minutes ago, bamber said:

I can't think of any job that May would be qualified for? Career Politicians have very few options when they fail.

I doubt she would work again but will be well looked after financially. Why else would you take the most unwanted job in Britain?