Block 9

fatyeti24

My first time going to a 'proper' club, not a 5 Jaegerbombs for a tenner type one was when DVS1 and Loco Dice played Fabric. The experience was unforgettable but the amount of booze I had definitely enhanced the experience. Also I think there's a snobbish attitude that comes with Techno fans that I can't stand. If you tune into a Boiler Room and there is a different genre of music on a.k.a Hip Hop, Grime maybe a interesting live band then the comments section is usually plagued with people begging for the DJ to play repetitive electronic music in 4/4. If it's a female DJ then there is usually a bit of sexism in there too. Especially if the DJ is going for a more selectors approach, you get a whole bunch of dickheads whining about the lack of mixing. Sexism is definitely rife in the music industry but that's a whole different can of worms.

Anyway to keep it on topic, NYC downlow line up looks awesome. Gonna try my hardest to get into Masters At Work. Hopefully Dan Shake will be in there as well. Is it usually busy on the Wednesday? Might try and arrive early to get a band so I don't have to queue up on another day.

Edited by BlackHole2006

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

My first time going to a 'proper' club, not a 5 Jaegerbombs for a tenner type one was when DVS1 and Loco Dice played Fabric. The experience was unforgettable but the amount of booze I had definitely enhanced the experience. Also I think there's a snobbish attitude that comes with Techno fans that I can't stand. If you tune into a Boiler Room and there is a different genre of music on a.k.a Hip Hop, Grime maybe a interesting live band then the comments section is usually plagued with people begging for the DJ to play repetitive electronic music in 4/4. If it's a female DJ then there is usually a bit of sexism in there too. Especially if the DJ is going for a more selectors approach, you get a whole bunch of dickheads whining about the lack of mixing. Sexism is definitely rife in the music industry but that's a whole different can of worms.

Anyway to keep it on topic, NYC downlow line up looks awesome. Gonna try my hardest to get into Masters At Work. Hopefully Dan Shake will be in there as well. Is it usually busy on the Wednesday? Might try and arrive early to get a band so I don't have to queue up on another day.

I'd hope that I'm not in any way snobby, but I know that no other dance genre gives me in anyway the same physical, tangible sensations as techno does. I've always just put it down to an undefinable 'something' that aligns me with that tempo and sound. And don't forget that almost all dance music is 4/4, BH...it's usually just the tempo or beat emphasis that is especially different! 

And as for your first experience - Loco Dice and DVS1 is one hell of a baptism!

Regarding gender? Anyone I would want to dance with couldn't give a crap about the dj's gender. All I care about is are they ripping the floor up. 

We should defo get a forum dance set meet in June - it'd be hilarious!

Ben

7 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

. Also I think there's a snobbish attitude that comes with Techno fans that I can't stand. 

That is not just techno heads, the snobbish attitude is "super fans" of any genre. (Radiohead super fans!) Trance has an awful snobbish crowd, so does techno, so does a lot of house music. So does DnB... the only dance music genre that doesn't is hard house. Ive never been a fan, but the crowd is always the best laugh, most up for it, friendliest crowd around.

As for techno... Nina Kravitz has been announced for Cocoon opening party at Amnesia, I am very pleased.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

20 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

That is not just techno heads, the snobbish attitude is "super fans" of any genre. (Radiohead super fans!) Trance has an awful snobbish crowd, so does techno, so does a lot of house music. So does DnB... the only dance music genre that doesn't is hard house. Ive never been a fan, but the crowd is always the best laugh, most up for it, friendliest crowd around.

As for techno... Nina Kravitz has been announced for Cocoon opening party at Amnesia, I am very pleased.

Interesting that if you took a raver from 1988 and asked them to pick out the 'house' record from a 2017 collection, they would probably fail, yet it still seems to have inherited the ethos of openness.

Or I may be talking nonsense, morning coffee is halfway through kicking in...

10 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I was hoping to be a bit more impressed. That was three and a bit minutes of the same chord sequence over and over (sequence being the operative word) plus a drum machine (or six).

Not long enough!

Yeah, it takes a certain type of specialness to listen and like that sober at home. I've done some of my finest work while listening to that set though - it's my go to piece of music when I just need to knuckle down and get on with something.

10 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Dan Shake is in there, which is sublime news. Wednesday is usually alright - same as early on Thursday, but after about 10pm Thursday can be a write-off; name dependent. Certainly easy to get a band before it all gets properly under way though (by band we mean moustache).

If we're talking musicianship from live electronica, I've yet to see better than these:

It's Beardyman, better known as a beatboxer, but has become a fully fledged electronic improviser now.  Some great keyboard work, as well and singing and some beatboxing.  Not a sequencer to be seen, it really is quite extraordinary what he's able to achieve here.  If you've ever tried to make electronic music yourself, you'll know what I mean!

On 4/18/2017 at 3:42 PM, Matt42 said:

absolutely stellar mix from start to finish. If you want to see the maturest and most polished form of house music about then Steffi is the one.

Really enjoyed this yesterday afternoon to the point of leaving myself a post it to come back and upvote today (yesterdays quota was regrettably depleted). I need to check out some more of her stuff but may soon be added to the 'Must see acts you didn't know existed a week ago' list for me.

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

My main clubbing era was during the early-mid 2000's when Subliminal were on top of their game. Anything here remotely similar?

Obvs Harry Romero but anything else I should look out for? 

I can't see anything on there that would match my own memories of Subliminal stuff, Morillo in Pacha on a Thursday in Ibiza was very much my jam the first couple of times I went to Ibiza. I may well listen to the Mixmag Presents Ibiza 4am album today though, as way of reminding me of those heady days.

2 hours ago, Tuna said:

Dan Shake is in there, which is sublime news. Wednesday is usually alright - same as early on Thursday, but after about 10pm Thursday can be a write-off; name dependent. Certainly easy to get a band before it all gets properly under way though (by band we mean moustache).

If you already have a (very impressive) moustache (read: luscious hipster beard...) does that count for NYCD? More than happy to buy one, of course, but might be tricky to wear...!

Ben

5 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

If you already have a (very impressive) moustache (read: luscious hipster beard...) does that count for NYCD? More than happy to buy one, of course, but might be tricky to wear...!

Ben

I think it does, and obviously things were different a few years ago before the fashion for beards came in. I bought a fake one anyway. 

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

They make my bearded other half buy one, but he does queue up with me in the non-hairy face queue and has a habit of being picked on by drag queens. They don't force you to stick it on your face though.

6 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I can't see anything on there that would match my own memories of Subliminal stuff, Morillo in Pacha on a Thursday in Ibiza was very much my jam the first couple of times I went to Ibiza. I may well listen to the Mixmag Presents Ibiza 4am album today though, as way of reminding me of those heady days.

Ay they were my "glory days". Morillo was my fave DJ back then.

Will have to have a dig through the list and see what takes my fancy. 

50 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

is there anything here where its like very euphoric kind of dance / house? Is that type of stuff in NYC?

I would head for the glade area of the festival, not announced yet but I'm assuming Sasha & Digweed will be playing there, Dave Seaman & Nick Warren are usually there, Henry Saiz was great last year, would love to see Hernan Cattaneo play the glade again too. Check some of these DJ's out as I'm guessing this is the sort of sound you are after rather than the camp disco vibe in NYC :)

11 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

glade is a really good area to just drop in on a see what's on, i don't go enough really! GT3's suggestion is probably better than mine

I spent far too much time at the glade last year as it's so easy to nip to a beer or to the loo and then get back to the dance floor quickly, has a really friendly crowd and within the various mini venues, there is usually something on thats up my street musically, I really struggled to be bothered to goto SE corner for more than an hour or two over the whole weekend last year with the mud and crowds etc.

Here is Dave Seamans set from last year at the Glade... 

Edited by GT3