So, how did you handle taking a year off?

johnmcga

Been a while since I've posted here - used to a be a regular poster. I'm returning 'cause I'm feeling a need to get this out!

This year me and my girlfriend both decided not to pay off our ticket balances. My unbroken run of attendance goes back to 2007, and this will be the first she's missed since 2008. The festival has been a big, important, exciting part of our lives for a decade or so.

So, why not go? Well, we had a baby back in December and don't feel comfortable taking such a little one, especially if it turns out to be a muddy year.

I thought about going without my girlfriend. She'd be fine with that but my job has me travelling a bit this year so I don't think it's fair to spend more time away from home.

Anyway, I've come to terms with the decision mostly by not thinking about it too much! But it feels weird opting not to go when so many people would kill for a ticket - especially as this festival is an important part of our lives.

So, if you've ever taken a year off, how did you handle it? Did you skip the country (we're considering it)? Or did you embrace the live coverage with Brothers and the Grande Bouffe in your own back garden?

Needless to say, I'm praying for rain :p. (I've also done you all a favour, as it will almost certainly turn out sunny!) I'm also trusting you all to drink lots of ale, cover an unfeasible amount of ground, and shed a tear during The Flaming Lips' set.

Last year our group had a garden party and stuck the coverage on.. we got hammered and spent the entire evening anticipating ticket release date for this year. Luckily we all got tickets!

It's a nice chance to reminisce, and last year was undoubtedly made easier to swallow by the appalling conditions.

If you're working the Wed, Thurs and Fri then keep yourself busy as it's not actually as bad as you think. You just have to plod on with normality!

It's harder at the weekend, but if it's nice weather (which it's obviously going to be!) then make sure you go out and make the most of it - then come home, and crack on the Beeb with some alcohol and food on your choice in the comfort of your chair. And be thankful you've been part of the worlds greatest show for many years! 

And remeber that a years absence will only make the heart grow fonder for next time you're back on the farm! 

Edited by st dan

My first was 2002 and I've done 7 festivals so I've had a fair few gaps.. I dunno, really. I love the place, it is important to me and I'd love to go every year given the chance. First time I missed it was 2005, which by accounts was one of the muddiest ever so not too arsed to have missed that one.. Have had a few times when I've been sat in work day dreaming about where I could've been. I've only actually had one time that I've attempted to get tickets and failed and it's only been circumstances at the time that's stopped me attempting every time. Suppose rather than taking the odd year off here and there being something to "handle", I see it more as a privilege that I've been to the ones that I have.

I went abroad to lounge around in the sun and ignored the fact it was happening. I didn't even look at the line up. I don't normally have sun type holidays so it was a nice change and the festival didn't really cross my mind.

But I did see some photos of the mud on the Monday. Oh, how I laughed.

I've missed the last two after an unbroken run of 17 .  The first year we had an almighty 2 day party in the garden then watched a load of stI've on catch up. Last year we took a tent to the middle of Derbyshire and hid from the world for a few days. Both were hard but we managed.... and we've both got tickets for this year. Not bloody missing out again!

I missed 2013. What a year to miss. Failed at getting tickets in the Oct, and just couldn't afford the money in the resale. To be honest at the time I wasn't that fussed. I'd been to bearded theory the year before. Fell in love with small festivals. They felt more like what I wanted. But when the week in June came, the Wed and Thurs at work I found hard. But the weekend, a pal was getting married, so I didn't get to watch any coverage. Kind of forgot it was on. But I was well ready by the next Oct. I had to be back, and I fell in love with it all over again.

1 hour ago, johnmcga said:

Been a while since I've posted here - used to a be a regular poster. I'm returning 'cause I'm feeling a need to get this out!

This year me and my girlfriend both decided not to pay off our ticket balances. My unbroken run of attendance goes back to 2007, and this will be the first she's missed since 2008. The festival has been a big, important, exciting part of our lives for a decade or so.

So, why not go? Well, we had a baby back in December and don't feel comfortable taking such a little one, especially if it turns out to be a muddy year.

I thought about going without my girlfriend. She'd be fine with that but my job has me travelling a bit this year so I don't think it's fair to spend more time away from home.

Anyway, I've come to terms with the decision mostly by not thinking about it too much! But it feels weird opting not to go when so many people would kill for a ticket - especially as this festival is an important part of our lives.

So, if you've ever taken a year off, how did you handle it? Did you skip the country (we're considering it)? Or did you embrace the live coverage with Brothers and the Grande Bouffe in your own back garden?

Needless to say, I'm praying for rain :p. (I've also done you all a favour, as it will almost certainly turn out sunny!) I'm also trusting you all to drink lots of ale, cover an unfeasible amount of ground, and shed a tear during The Flaming Lips' set.

I had 2014 off,  decided for person reasons. I hid away ..didn't watch any of it on TV opted out of all group chats I was in with friends that were going. pretended like it wasn't happening.

the actual weekend of the festival was the worst I was the grumpiest bastard ever.  I was determined that 2015 I would go . wouldn't you know it I didn't get a ticket. I could have killed. I was so desperate to go after missing a year I had a friend who changed his mind so I used his ticket taking the risk I wouldn't get in. (I normally wouldn't do this, but I couldn't miss two in a row) I got in and all was fine.....

it wasn't too bad just puts more pressure on getting a ticket the year after

Missed out in 2014, me and the wife plus another couple were the only ones to miss from our group. Made worse by a fail on the payment page of the unannounced resale...so fled the country, went to Italy and acted like it wasn't happening 

Had to bail on the 2014 festival for a medical thing: felt really bad leaving the site on the Saturday morning. But was the right thing to do. 

Treated myself to a facial and the rest of the weekend on the couch, wishing those still there an amazing time in my absence. 

2 hours ago, johnmcga said:

Dear Sir,

We have reviewed your application to run the Glastonbury Secret Sets Twitter account for the 2017 Festival and are delighted to offer you the role. Congratulations!

Please report to @stuartbert two hats for your familiarisation and orientation session. 

Regards. 

;-)

In the years when I haven't been lucky with tickets I have completely avoided TV coverage, until at least after the festival has been on. I think I went camping one year with some friends and they neglected to tell me that we would be close enough to the site that we actually drove past some of the signage! Last year I was at a mates BBQ, they stuck on some of the coverage for a bit but I just avoided it where possible.

We took a year off last year to get a loft conversion done so our kids have separate bedrooms, the building work was done just before the festival so I had loads of decorating to do which motivated me as to why I wasn't going, I watched the tv coverage and was actually ok. My wife however had a bit of a cry watching Foals and Wolf Alice.

I can't wait to get back this year as I feel the year off will have refreshed my love for the place, I remember going back in 13 after the fallow year and as daft as it sounds there's something very special about having that two year wait to return to the farm 

I missed 2015 for medical reasons but handled it well.

Denial - I'm too old to be sleeping 5 days in a tent seeing bands that I've seen before in a muddy field.

Anger - why do I have to miss this festival in a year when the lineup really appeals to me and why did my friends agree that we shouldn't try for tickets.

Bargaining - each and every competition I could enter despite not trying for the resale.

Depression - I'm just not going to watch any of it and avoid efestivals from now on.

Acceptance - more booze than I'd take to the festival and the red button.

Not very well....   I missed 2005.  I missed a number before, but those were intentional, whereas in 2005 I wanted to go.  I was in Ukraine when tickets went on sale, so left boyfriend in charge of getting tickets and he failed.  In his defense, apparently it was a particularly messy year for sales.

I was working when the festival was on and watched Sky News in the morning, where they interviewed June Brown (Dot Cotton from Eastenders) who had just arrived on site.  I actually cried.  Nothing against the woman (good on her, actually), but it felt so unfair that she got to go and I couldn't.  Haven't missed one since.

36 minutes ago, cammie81 said:

I missed 2015 for medical reasons but handled it well.

Denial - I'm too old to be sleeping 5 days in a tent seeing bands that I've seen before in a muddy field.

Anger - why do I have to miss this festival in a year when the lineup really appeals to me and why did my friends agree that we shouldn't try for tickets.

Bargaining - each and every competition I could enter despite not trying for the resale.

Depression - I'm just not going to watch any of it and avoid efestivals from now on.

Acceptance - more booze than I'd take to the festival and the red button.

First time I've seen Elizabeth Kubler-Ross' theory used on here...

We ( myself and "Lingle")  missed out on tickets last year.After feeling sorry for ourselfs for a short while .Decided couldnt be around watching on tv. Quick search for another festival on same dates . So ensued a roadtrip from Aberdeen to Holland to Down the Rabbit hole festival.Was brilliant and can honestly say we hardly gave Glasto a thought till we got back.With all the trip pre planning etc and the festival itself .Was fantastic experience.Saw bit of Belgium and Holland on the way and the locals were great.Weather was fab to .Thoroughly recommend it to anyone for the Glasto ticketless blues .

Missed last year just being unlucky in the ticket sales, went camping down on the coast that week as couldn't bare to watch it on tv and cried myself to sleep most nights.

Only just recently been back on here after securing a volunteering place.