Those of us with a ticket have all taken Da Pledge. I understand why they've done it and I completely support it. They're fighting an unenforceable battle but they need to do something and anything that draws attention to pissing on the land, leaving tents and generally treating the farm like your enemy's back garden is welcome.

My question: do you think it'll work?

I'm ashamed to say that in the past, I've been guilty of urinating against the plastic wall of the men's urinals, where the waste flows directly onto the land. I took no pleasure in doing so and felt immensely guilty the entire time, but that's irrelevant. I still did it, and I did it because I needed to go so badly, I'd run out of Travel Johns, and the queue was absurdly long. Something happens in the mind of somebody who desperately needs a piss. All sorts of justification narratives pop up in our heads but when you've got to go, then you've got to go, I suppose.

My answer? More Travel Johns. I'm taking a load this year, and even though it's awkward to accomplish in a crowd, it's much better than going on the land, or up against the back of a stranger's legs as has happened to many of us, I'm guessing.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People not taking things home is the worst . A group of people camped. Next to us last year . Nice group 6 of them in two tents. They left Sunday night we woke  up Monday morning . They had left everything and I mean everything 

Yeah sorry Kalifire, I usually love what you put but, whilst I admire your honesty, I can't condone your action.  

Please don't piss on the land, please don't pollute the streams, please pick up your rubbish and please leave your camp spotless.  I'll stick to the pledge but then I have been doing for donkeys anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Ollie9917 said:

Don't the tents that  can be salvaged get salvaged and sent to refugees etc??

Some of the tents that are packed away and left at a donation point are used in this way. The vast majority of broken, filthy tents that are left for the tent fairy to magic away end up in landfill.

20 minutes ago, sweetsounding said:

This year I'm official pee patrol so I shall fight for the pledge all festival, give me strength festival keyboard warriors :dwarf:

Is the Green Police or an equivalent back again this year?

I liked that idea. 

I volunteer for a Somerset school, for the past 5 years they've had a control gate to man but this year they have changed it and we are to patrol and advise the punters to make the right choices and protect the land so glasto are pretty seriously putting investment into it, I've two 9 hour shifts and a 6 hour shift where it is my only job, don't pee on the land people or you will run into me and I shall not be happy :aikido:

3 minutes ago, chatty said:

What damage does pissing on the land do? 

Im not phrasing that as a defence for pissing on the land btw, genuinely asking because isnt pissing on the land more natural than pissing in plastic made shells? 

Pollutes the river and kills the wildlife http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/green-glastonbury/please-dont-pee-on-the-land/

Edited by Lucy92

I have my don't pee on the land message  on my pyramid hat ... must admit I've been guilty previously( wasn't quite aware of the seriousness )in the early hours but now I come prepared with Lenor , its the people that make it inside the urinals and piss on the walls I can fathom !!

1 minute ago, chatty said:

What damage does pissing on the land do? 

Im not phrasing that as a defence for pissing on the land btw, genuinely asking because isnt pissing on the land more natural than pissing in plastic made shells? 

Normally when you go to the toilet, your waste goes through a sewage system where it is treated before being released back into the environment.

If thousands of people are peeing on the land, this acidic urine goes untreated, into the nearby rivers and water system, altering the profile of the water and killing wildlife.

There are several water testing points throughout the festival, and if the levels get too high, the whole thing can get stopped.

Not 180k people pissing in a valley which runs into the water supply and rivers, festival pays thousands of pounds (out of the money that's supposed to go to charity) every year in fines and it really does threaten the festivals existence as the event could be denied its license to run

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

If you're an adult, pissing in a toilet really isn't that hard. 

I was in the pub today and they are currently moving stuff about so the gents is the old ladies........ yet the blokes (apart from me and  a few others) seemed incapable of flushing the loo or hitting the target!!

Literally 'Walking in Man Piss" is what it took to have  a wee!

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I was in the pub today and they are currently moving stuff about so the gents is the old ladies........ yet the blokes (apart from me and  a few others) seemed incapable of flushing the loo or hitting the target!!

Literally 'Walking in Man Piss" is what it took to have  a wee!

My other half has a wonderful aim, never a spill.

When his mates come round however, our lovely toilet starts to resemble a long drop. 

Piss. Everywhere.

They're animals :( 

38 minutes ago, Ollie9917 said:

Don't the tents that  can be salvaged get salvaged and sent to refugees etc??

34 minutes ago, bexj said:

Some of the tents that are packed away and left at a donation point are used in this way. The vast majority of broken, filthy tents that are left for the tent fairy to magic away end up in landfill.

I think most of them are sold off to raise money for charity. Either way, that only happens if it's packed away and handed in.

Edit: That's most of the tents that are handed in, not most of the tents that are left behind. The majority just end up in landfill.

Edited by musky

I do think the festival need to make it crystal clear that tents left behind don't get packed up and sent to refugees, as I think some people still believe that to be the case and so justify leaving it behind.

Maybe a clear sign in each camping area stating that only tents packed away and handed in can be reused, all the rest go to landfill.

1 minute ago, sunnydaysblue said:

I would never dream of weeing in public like people do. That said I am a woman. Maybe that's the problem - it's too easy for men to carry out this act. I ts really unpleasant to see little willys out everywhere streaming away :rolleyes::wacko:

and big willys too !!