27 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

With regard to you last sentence can you tell me which words I used or what sentence I constructed to indicate that the appropriate action to take was to not judge 'all the lazy, disrespectful hedge pissers because one of them might have a medical issue'?

Well, what point we're you trying to make then exactly? Your response seemed to be indicating this. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Glastoboy said:

Well, what point we're you trying to make then exactly? Your response seemed to be indicating this. 

The point I was trying to put over to you was that maybe you should think twice before you start calling somebody a dirty bastard and encouraging others to call that person a dirty bastard too. That trying to create a situation whereby people boo someone and deride them might be wholly out of order.

Just wondering who made you judge, jury, and executioner? I'm also asking you directly if you think it acceptable to take the risk that someone isn't incontinent before deciding to call them a dirty bastard etc. In addition I am asking you how you would feel if you were incontinent and were faced with a baying crowd? Do you believe that there should be outright prejudice against people with this disability? Do you think stigmatising somebody with this disability is a good thing? Do you have a soft spot for Hitlers eugenics program?

Sorry, I was being a little facetious at the end there. 

PS - By the way, would you piss yourself if you were incontinent, rather than whip your lad out and piss right there right then? I know Chawk said he would. I'm just wondering what other peoples views are on what they would do.

I think there are a few things which make it difficult to enforce- having been many times I have see attitudes change over the years and the litter and toilet issues get worse. 

1. Some  people hate the long drops and have buckets in their tents - may even have an extra tent in their camp just for wee/poo. They then leave it or just throw it away- I've seen a group of girls go this- couldn't even be bothered to walk up to the loos to empty it! At some other festivals ( latitude/V) they have portaloos with onsite stewards/cleaners and bog  roll!! So Glastonbury can come as a bit of a shock!! Their attitude was shocking too! People who clean up at the end of the festival find plenty of "toilet" tents left behind! 

2. Men pissing by sides of tracks in bushes and plastic sheeting at sides of stages or in the crowd - they have been doing this for years - but has been getting worse - particularly at key changeover points or at end of main acts. Thought there was an improvement last year but still bad

3. More people but not enough toilets - need to have more in some areas. 

4. Since coach packages increased so have the left behind tents- especially on a muddy one- people can't be arsed to drag their cheap "disposable " camping gear home on a coach. 

5. Cheap camping gear- why drag a big heavy muddy tent that they can't pack back up into the carry bag and other wrecked stuff back to the car when they can just buy another lot - if they decide to come next year. Some people just come to Glastonbury as a one off or as their one festival/ only camping experience so don't want to be bothered to take it back, or it might be part of a holiday or trip from abroad. Ideally this is where Worthy View should be helping. 

6. People are just lazy arses and too wrecked after 4/5 days and want to make a quick get away on Sunday and can't be bothered to pack up and lug it up the hill to the coach or car. 

I cant believe some of the stuff that's left behind each year or the disgusting behaviour of others who will pee etc anywhere - and they won't take any notice of a pledge unfortunately:(

we always take everything back ( to use the next year) no matter how tired or bag any rubbish up. I also take travel johns and  lady Tena pads for any emergencies!!  ( as older women might sympathise with!!) 

i hope that campsite stewards, green police  and worthy warriors can help make a difference- it was better last year but there are always going to be those irresponsible lot who won't comply no matter what we say unfortunately:( 

8 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Let me tell you a little story about what has happened to me twice while driving a car recently. So there I am the first time driving home from one side of Birmingham to another side. There's heavy traffic but I don't mind because I know I'm going to be seeing my wife soon, and that makes me happy. Then, completely out of the blue, the urge to urinate takes over me. However, this isn't the usual old I can keep this in until I get home, or to a place where I can piss in private in an appropriate place. This is a 'fuck me, I've got to piss right here right now moment', a situation that I have never encountered before or had any prior knowledge of how to deal with. To be honest it wouldn't have mattered if I had had prior knowledge - I had to piss, and I had to piss right then. So what did I do? I did what I was biologically incapable of avoiding - I pissed myself in the driving seat of the car. 

Then guess what happened about two weeks later? Yep, you've guessed it, the same thing happened and I pissed myself in the driving seat of the car again. It's never happened before, and it hasn't happened since. 

Now if this urge had in the past (or does in the future) come over me while walking along at Glastonbury while not within sufficient range of a toilet, let me ask you what your advice to me would be to do? Would you, in that situation, be brave enough to just piss your pants, or would you get your lad out and piss wherever you could? If it did happen to you and you chose to not piss your own pants, how would you feel if somebody came along and started calling you a dirty bastard, and encouraged others to call you a dirty bastard too? How would  you feel to hear those 'boohs' aimed at you when you really had very little choice? Ever watched a documentary or read a book about an injustice meted out to somebody and they've just had to take it, even though you as the viewer / reader can see that it's wrong, wrong, wrong?

Just saying.

I'd just empty my water bottle into the floor and piss in the now empty bottle. Aim might not be perfect if it's a narrow capped bottle but it'd catch most of it.

Or just look on the floor, a nearby bin, or in my hand for a paper cup to piss in.

Of course if I had an actual medical I would just manage it however I do in my normal day to day life.

2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Only if you pack it away and take it to the tent recycling point. Which most people don't do. 

I imagine some people leave their tent behind under the guise of 'I'm giving it to charity' and leave with a clear conscience without realising what actually happens.

The point I was trying to put over to you was that maybe you should think twice before you start calling somebody a dirty bastard and encouraging others to call that person a dirty bastard too. That trying to create a situation whereby people boo someone and deride them might be wholly out of order.

Well this is how the Green Police used to do things, with perhaps more humour and less 'dirty bastard' but the booing and collective shaming of those who could jeopardise the festival was how they went about things and were officially sanctioned by GFL. 

Just wondering who made you judge, jury, and executioner? I'm also asking you directly if you think it acceptable to take the risk that someone isn't incontinent before deciding to call them a dirty bastard etc.

Ah, the old who made you judge line, I was waiting for that one. I just give a shit about the continued survival of the festival and the massive headache this issue gives the Eavis'. I'm just not scared to speak up and call out this shitty behaviour.
Also, as self appointed heckler, if I boo and point at at a row of twenty people pissing in a hedge and one of them turns rounds and yells "I'm incontinent you insensitive, moralising w*nker" then fair enough. It hasn't happened yet though so yeah, I reckon it's worth the risk.

In addition I am asking you how you would feel if you were incontinent and were faced with a baying crowd? Do you believe that there should be outright prejudice against people with this disability? Do you think stigmatising somebody with this disability is a good thing?
This is a straw man argument. This isn't about prejudice. I would think anyone who genuinely suffers from incontinence in their day to day life would have a plan for how to cope at festivals. 

Out of interest how bad a problem do you reckon this is? Out of the thousands of people who go to Glastonbury and just piss where they like (up against urinal walls, fences, in crowds etc etc) how many do you imagine are medically incontinent and what percentage are just lazy, dirty bastards?
Two years ago, a bloke pissed over my daughters feet in the middle of the Pyramid crowd. Is this acceptable, even if the guy was incontinent?

This is my video that went viral after I posted it last year.

It still gets around 1000 views per month and with only 2 months to go, it is picking up views again as the festival nears.  It will probably be viewed and shared a lot and is a great way to see the problem.

I also know it's about to be embedded into an online "guide to festivals" by TIMEOUT and I've approached GFL to use it.

However, recently the number of negative comments are outweighing the number of supportive comments and I'd really like this to be addressed and essentially push the negative comments down the page further before the TIMEOUT piece goes live.

So, if you can, would you watch it and then add a supportive comment on the video comments section that mentions The Pledge or backs up my message?

(PS, the video was not planned, nor scripted and all came from the heart).

Cheers,

17 hours ago, Skoo said:

I do think the festival need to make it crystal clear that tents left behind don't get packed up and sent to refugees, as I think some people still believe that to be the case and so justify leaving it behind.

Maybe a clear sign in each camping area stating that only tents packed away and handed in can be reused, all the rest go to landfill.

I feel it's been clearly stated for years

another vote for the lenor bottle!! plus, I take a tiny bottle of very dilute bleach to wash it out with - very dilute, wouldn't want to burn anything....

Only ever pee'd on the land once - utterly desperate just before the Stones, we'd been there for a couple of hours, and thought we could hang on. Even discussed hanging on with other blokes around - decided we could do it. Then three girls pee'd, then the more desperate. I then thought, I know, I'll pee in a beer cup, keep it upright and do the right thing. Utter fail (who knew you can pee more than a pint!!) and never again. Lenor bottle now in rucksack.... So if you ever see someone looking relieved while seemingly shagging their rucksack - that'll be me.

1 hour ago, R95wilson said:

I feel it's been clearly stated for years

I don't. On this very thread at least one person has stated they thought the tents went to refugees.

It's not obvious, and when there are people within the festival telling others "oh yes, leave your tent, it will go to help the needy" it propogates the idea.

Not hard to have some signage.

5 hours ago, Glastoboy said:

Well this is how the Green Police used to do things, with perhaps more humour and less 'dirty bastard' but the booing and collective shaming of those who could jeopardise the festival was how they went about things and were officially sanctioned by GFL. 

Just wondering who made you judge, jury, and executioner? I'm also asking you directly if you think it acceptable to take the risk that someone isn't incontinent before deciding to call them a dirty bastard etc.

Ah, the old who made you judge line, I was waiting for that one. I just give a shit about the continued survival of the festival and the massive headache this issue gives the Eavis'. I'm just not scared to speak up and call out this shitty behaviour.
Also, as self appointed heckler, if I boo and point at at a row of twenty people pissing in a hedge and one of them turns rounds and yells "I'm incontinent you insensitive, moralising w*nker" then fair enough. It hasn't happened yet though so yeah, I reckon it's worth the risk.

In addition I am asking you how you would feel if you were incontinent and were faced with a baying crowd? Do you believe that there should be outright prejudice against people with this disability? Do you think stigmatising somebody with this disability is a good thing?
This is a straw man argument. This isn't about prejudice. I would think anyone who genuinely suffers from incontinence in their day to day life would have a plan for how to cope at festivals. 

Out of interest how bad a problem do you reckon this is? Out of the thousands of people who go to Glastonbury and just piss where they like (up against urinal walls, fences, in crowds etc etc) how many do you imagine are medically incontinent and what percentage are just lazy, dirty bastards?
Two years ago, a bloke pissed over my daughters feet in the middle of the Pyramid crowd. Is this acceptable, even if the guy was incontinent?

Look mate, you're probably right and I'm wrong. I too care about the continuation of the festival, even though I'll probably never go again after this year (if I get tickets). I've been to it 20 + times and always had a ball there. I think it's fair to say that it's a British institution now, and long may that be the case. You are right in that 99.99% of those pissing up hedges etc are total knob heads. I was just pointing out, after my own recent experiences, that there may be that 00.01% who piss wherever they have to because the alternative is to actually just stand there and wet themselves. I was in a car on both occasions when it happened to me so was alright. I think that if you were forced to piss your own pants in public then it would be overwhelmingly humiliating. 

Have a great festival. :)

@Yoghurt on a Stick, I'm with @Glastoboy that on balance, it's worth mocking people who are pissing out in the open because they're much more likely to be lazy than suffering from a medical condition.  As observed, there are medical products available to help people with chronic incontinence (essentially adult nappies), so the number of people with genuine medical conditions that were unable to make previsions for their condition should be very low.

However, I really think you should go to the doctor straight away about those episodes though.  Could be something simple and harmless, could be much more serious.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

@Yoghurt on a Stick, I'm with @Glastoboy that on balance, it's worth mocking people who are pissing out in the open because they're much more likely to be lazy than suffering from a medical condition.  As observed, there are medical products available to help people with chronic incontinence (essentially adult nappies), so the number of people with genuine medical conditions that were unable to make previsions for their condition should be very low.

However, I really think you should go to the doctor straight away about those episodes though.  Could be something simple and harmless, could be much more serious.

Hello stuartbert,

I know what you are saying about the on balance bit, but must confess that it is still sitting slightly uncomfortably with me. The reason for this is twofold. If I can use a military context to explain the first - if a country, such as the UK, goes to war, does it do so knowing and accepting the fact that there will be friendly fire kills on it's own troops? If it does, at what percentage is it deemed to be acceptable? Now if we transpose this on to the pissing in a hedge at Glastonbury situation - is it acceptable for people to call everyone pissing in a hedge a bastard, knowing that there may be an underlying medical condition that has caused a person to piss right there right then? Like me, that person may not have known of their condition beforehand ie it's just struck them right there and then for the first time ie they were never given the opportunity to make provision for that situation. Should we err on the side of caution and not say anything in the spirit of not discriminating against the disabled, or should we, as Spock would say run with the notion that  “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" ?

In terms of my own medical situation, as said before, if it happens again then I will go to my doctors. Strangely enough on both occasions when it happened ( it really did happen Rubber Soldier, despite your lame eristic suggestion that it didn't) I was driving my speed dealer around. She normally uses a taxi and so hasn't, in the past, actually paid any attention to the routes that were being taken to her customers ie. she's let the taxi driver take the strain. Now, she's asked me a few times to help her take her to places, probably because she's realised that it's far cheaper than taking a taxi. The net result though is she's fucking clueless as to how to get to the places she wants to get to. So, on the afore mentioned two occasions I've been in the car with her for a fair while. After eventually dropping her off on both occasions I have found myself in heavy traffic and then all of a sudden needing to piss urgently but having no way of getting my car to a side road etc in order to have a piss ie I've been trapped in the car. These are the only two times that this overwhelming urge has hit me. Maybe that's because normally I'd go to the toilet in my house before that kind of pressure has built up. Don't know. Will wait and see. Thank you for your concern. :)

1 minute ago, scott44 said:

This thread is a joke. As much as  I support the pledge it is a bloody festival and not a church outing. So what if a few people pee in the bushes. They are probably having a much better time then some of the people who spend all their time preaching on this forum. I think a few of you seriously need to stay at home let proper festival people have your tickets!

just out of interest do you care about the future of the festival ?

Just now, scott44 said:

Of course I do (I said I support the pledge) but I also care about having a good time and not wandering around the site preaching at people. This is Glastonbury not a village fete!!!

thats good ..and I'm sure you are aware off the power of the internet .. and that the festival licence is threatened by pollution in the rivers .. so if its something that people can get behind so proper festival goers can attend then its worth doing :)

27 minutes ago, scott44 said:

This thread is a joke. As much as  I support the pledge it is a bloody festival and not a church outing. So what if a few people pee in the bushes. They are probably having a much better time then some of the people who spend all their time preaching on this forum. I think a few of you seriously need to consider staying at home and letting proper festival people have your tickets!

You know the answer to that, just as you know it's not just a few people.

Yep, some of them probably are having more fun, and some of them will be having less fun. That's the way it goes.

For someone who supports the pledge you're going out of your way to excuse the inexcusable*. Nobody is expecting you to take people who piss on the land to task, but there's no need to mock a simple request by the festival.

Edit for Yog: Inexcusable for people without sudden incontinence problems!

Edited by musky