Best acts you have seen at the festival

grumpyhack

We've had lots of negativity about worst acts people have seen so I thought it might be nice to start a positive thread.

I'm too tired to put years to names and you'll remember them if you were there but amongst the tops for me would have to be Leonard Cohen a\nd Joan Baez.  Also the Ray Davies Choral Kinks, The Who and, always a must when they were there, Biggles Wartime Band (RIP Jolly Jock).  A couple of non-music standouts were Feeding The Fish (an amazing dance and light show in the Circus and/or Cabaret Tent) and Bill Ferguson, a comedy juggler in the outside Circus Field.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Stevie Wonder Glastonbury 2010. After an absolutely scorching 5 days Stevie ends the weekend with a massive party. Without a doubt the best headliner I've ever seen. 

Gotta agree. Muse on the Saturday as well back when they was still good. Absolutely cracking weekend, and kick-started my Glastonbury obsession big-time.

Arcade Fire - the bass made my trousers shake and it was just a wonderful high energy event.

Ryan Adams - made it to the rail and saw a great Park headliner that quickly told me I was right not to be in front of The Who.

The Districts - short set, mid afternoon in JP. Amazing.

Edited by Waapster

REM 99, Portishead 13 and Coldplay 16 stand out for me.  I know that Coldplay aren't exactly everyone's favourite act round here but they pulled out all the stops for a hell of a visual spectacular and the sight of that crowd was really something from where I was standing.  REM felt like I'd waited my whole life to see them and they didn't disappoint, Portishead were just sublime and the atmosphere in that crowd was really special.  When Machine gun kicked in....wow.

In terms of crown interaction, for me this wont be beaten I'm afraid. Portishead for crowd togetherness came close tho. 

"The World famous Glastonbury Dancers"

This vid followed on youtube, wouldn't have given it a second thought, just shows what a f##king awesome festival Glastonbury is.

Edited by whisty

Lionel in 2015 was magic; he just got it

also, for me Jonny Lang Avalon 2014 was superb. Can't find any decent Glastonbury footage, but here is a little taster of what a lot of people missed that night

Macca in 2004. The whole site was still echoing with Hey Jude on the Sunday night. Andy C on the G stage in 2007 dropping tune after tune. I was only suppose to be staying for half an hour before going to meet mates but everytime I tried to leave he dropped another banger.

Edited by Chipbarm
Rubbish at remembering years.

Great to read such positives and also to have my memory jogged by so many of them.  Waapster's "Made my trousers shake" conjures up a wonderful image.  I too, remember walking back singing "na, na, na nana, na, na" after Macca.

Great acts also have to include great discoveries - people I wasn't really aware of before or didn't realise were so good live.  An example would be Bonnie Raitt on Jazzworld a few years back - what an amazing woman.  Another would be Gogol Bordello, who I''d never heard of who were knockout.

Off the top of me head, the standouts from the ones I've been to..

2002 - Roger Waters, Doves, Queens of The Stoneage

2003 - REM, Manic Street Preachers, Love with Arthur Lee

2004 - Paul McCartney, Spiritualized, The Magic Band

2010 - Scissor Sisters, Lightning Seeds, Ray Davies

2013 - Smashing Pumpkins, The XX, Portishead

2014 - Manic Street Preachers, Massive Attack, Dolly Parton

2016 - Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott, ZZ Top