Working at Glastonbury - facilities?

deepkittycaz

Hi folks, I'm working (and attending!) the festival for the first time this year and will be arriving on the Tuesday. Does anyone know what facilities will be on site by then day? Specifically, will I need to bring my own food/drink/cooking equipment to last until the festival starts proper on the Weds?

There'll be a decent number of food stalls in the Main Markets opening gradually through Tuesday afternoon / evening.

You might not get the same level of choice as once the Festival proper kicks in, and if you're there early in the day you might have to wait a couple hours but overall you won't struggle to find something to eat.

Some crew areas also have staff catering (usually much cheaper than regular festival prices), so if this applies to you that'll be open as well.

9 hours ago, deepkittycaz said:

Hi folks, I'm working (and attending!) the festival for the first time this year and will be arriving on the Tuesday. Does anyone know what facilities will be on site by then day? Specifically, will I need to bring my own food/drink/cooking equipment to last until the festival starts proper on the Weds?

You should be sent all the info by whoever you will be working for 

Some crew sites will have their catering up and running ' but not all of them ' - it all depends on how many staff are working each day ' before the event opens ' - you wont starve as there will be places open early as there is thousands on site by Tuesday but not all of them - if you are stuck just ask someone who arrived on the Monday

here is what its like on the Tuesday evening and anyone who is working can use that bar and yes there is other bars open.{ but they may or may not use a special pass once the public is let in }

just follow people as the odds are they will be heading for a bar and there will be some food places open close to them.

2011-wbc-20.jpg

20 hours ago, deepkittycaz said:

Hi,

What are you doing?

You will not want to bother cooking on the Tuesday, believe me.  If you're not planning on cooking from Wednesday onwards, I wouldn't bother bringing stuff.  There are loads open, its a temporary city that sustains itself, you will be fine.

4 hours ago, deepkittycaz said:

Brill, thanks everyone, that's all really helpful :) I'll be working on the lockups. Really looking forward to it!

Well you will find some on here as I know that some lock-up Volunteers do post

As far as I am aware there used to be 18 lock-ups varying in size from portacabin size to reasonably sized marquees scattered around the festival

there is even a video as well so that you can see what it looks like

https://youtu.be/8Bicct70sas

last Volunteers list I saw it was made up from 

CND Cymru
Greater Manchester & District CND
Isle of Wight CND
Yorkshire CND
Youth & Student CND
Birmingham Friends Of The Earth
Brighton Peace Centre

In actual fact I have never used them - there was no lock-ups when I first started going but if there was I would certainly have used them.

Now I know the people who run the Information tents camp close to the WBC Crew site { near gate D } so it would be interesting to find out where you end up.

have a look at

http://www.wherever.me.uk/G2015/G2014overlay.jpg

you will end up within that area - be sure and pick up a map from a Campsite Assistant as they print out really good maps.

if its dry then its the best place in the World if its really Muddy you will swear you will never return. 

There's plenty of options for food. A good few stalls near to the Bread and Roses in the main markets were open on Monday and Tuesday last year, as was the (very, very good) pizza place in the Theatre and Circus area. There's also a fab and friendly Mexican place near Williams Green that was open pretty much 24 hours a day from Monday to Monday, which is highly recommended if you like spicy stuff - good veggie options too. I seem to remember that Proper Coffee at Williams Green was also open on the Tuesday. You'll not starve!