Recommendations for European festivals

chestwig

Not going to Glastonbury this year. 2016 killed it for me so need some time away from the UK and seeking a newish alternative festival.

anybody got any top recommendations for smallish European festivals? I'm looking for something a bit more alternative... perhaps in a beautiful location as apposed to large site with big impersonal stages. 

supersonic in Birmingham and previously glade I used to love. Great sound systems, alternative acts and more personable punters.

3 hours ago, chestwig said:

Not going to Glastonbury this year. 2016 killed it for me so need some time away from the UK and seeking a newish alternative festival.

anybody got any top recommendations for smallish European festivals? I'm looking for something a bit more alternative... perhaps in a beautiful location as apposed to large site with big impersonal stages. 

supersonic in Birmingham and previously glade I used to love. Great sound systems, alternative acts and more personable punters.

Define alternative. What bands are you interested in seeing? What month are you looking at going?

After something with a more personal touch really.  Not large big generic rock acts/Dance acts that you might see at the likes of v, leed or even Glastonbury and def not large impersonal venues either.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if I didn't even know the majority of the lineup. The Music has to just be interested and reasonable varied.

flexible on the time of year too.... if it looks right I'm there....

how close is sonar to the actual city?

Sziget was said by the Eavis to be the nearest thing to Glastonbury.

The headliners and main acts announced so far this year are not going down too well, but last year we really loved all the acts we'd never heard of. They have a 'World', 'Blues' and 'Reggae African Latin stage in a close triangle which is easy to just drift between. 

it has a wonderful international feel, it has some great off track areas just like Glastonbury. Theatre, circus, museum, sports, classical, games, old style fair, a chill out zone down by a kind of beach.....

They make the mistake of making their promos very glossy which I found a bit off putting before I went. In reality it is much more down to earth, the people are relaxed, friendly and just ready to enjoy whatever is in front of them.

The beer is cheap. Budapest is amazing.

2 hours ago, chestwig said:

After something with a more personal touch really.  Not large big generic rock acts/Dance acts that you might see at the likes of v, leed or even Glastonbury and def not large impersonal venues either.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if I didn't even know the majority of the lineup. The Music has to just be interested and reasonable varied.

flexible on the time of year too.... if it looks right I'm there....

how close is sonar to the actual city?

Sonar by Day is in El Raval and is about 20 minute walk from Las Ramblas, then the by Night stuff is a bit further away from the main city, but there are buses from the Day arena to the Night venues. The line up has some fairly leftfield interesting dance acts, I'm off to Dekmantel this summer for my overseas dance festival fix. 

3 hours ago, amfy said:

Sziget was said by the Eavis to be the nearest thing to Glastonbury.

The headliners and main acts announced so far this year are not going down too well, but last year we really loved all the acts we'd never heard of. They have a 'World', 'Blues' and 'Reggae African Latin stage in a close triangle which is easy to just drift between. 

it has a wonderful international feel, it has some great off track areas just like Glastonbury. Theatre, circus, museum, sports, classical, games, old style fair, a chill out zone down by a kind of beach.....

They make the mistake of making their promos very glossy which I found a bit off putting before I went. In reality it is much more down to earth, the people are relaxed, friendly and just ready to enjoy whatever is in front of them.

The beer is cheap. Budapest is amazing.

Yeah I have been to Budapest twice and find it a really lovely city.... And as you said very cheap. I think I've also visited the island where the festival is held. Is it literally in that one close to the city but in the middle of the Danube.

Funny you mention about the glossy website as that's also what puts me off.... Looks cheesy. DJ Shadow and major laser ain't to be sniffed at i suppose.

I wouldn't really fancy camping in such heat. Would you say it's pretty easy to get on and off the island if you staying in accommodation elsewhere? 

Very easy. We have air b&b accommodation like last year. There's a boat in and out of the festival til late from central Budapest, and a local rail link at Filatorigat.

Accommodation can be located fairly cheaply.

you are probably thinking of Margarit Island, and Sziget is on Obuda which is the next island along. 

I was really worried that it was a 'beautiful people' festival before I went because of the way it is presented, but although it is a much younger festival than Glastonbury, it is way more relaxed in that regard. We are in our 50s and never felt out of place. I thought the crowd were great, and seemed to just really get into whatever they turned up in front of! A bouncy friendly crowd who speak a hundred different languages but all speak English! 

it feels tamer than Glastonbury but I think that's as much as anything due to it being on flat parkland rather than hilly farmland! 

Plus us brits are a bit fucked up on drunks and drink... especially at Glasto

On 17/04/2017 at 4:15 PM, amfy said:

Very easy. We have air b&b accommodation like last year. There's a boat in and out of the festival til late from central Budapest, and a local rail link at Filatorigat.

Accommodation can be located fairly cheaply.

you are probably thinking of Margarit Island, and Sziget is on Obuda which is the next island along. 

I was really worried that it was a 'beautiful people' festival before I went because of the way it is presented, but although it is a much younger festival than Glastonbury, it is way more relaxed in that regard. We are in our 50s and never felt out of place. I thought the crowd were great, and seemed to just really get into whatever they turned up in front of! A bouncy friendly crowd who speak a hundred different languages but all speak English! 

it feels tamer than Glastonbury but I think that's as much as anything due to it being on flat parkland rather than hilly farmland! 

nbury 

Hi, I realise that this is a UK festival - but in terms of what you are looking for I would suggest Shambala. It is in a lovely location, has a very collective vibe about it and has things like hidden stages (I found a drum and bass tent with an entrance between two market stalls at 2am!) and a themed fancy dress day. There are also lots of arts and crafts activities. And it is very very uncommercial - check it out :)