Non-essential essentials

MetaKate

Just curious what everyone brings that wouldn't be considered "essential". Stuff that is outside of the obvious packing list (wet wipes,  alcohol, etc) but definitely improves your time or provides  bit of fun. 

I like to bring a giant bag of mini chupa chups. Last year when I saw someone look at mine in envy I gave them a lolly. Giving candy to adults is slightly less creepy than giving candy to children :lol:I met quite alot of people this way last year and intend to bring a bag again this year!

Any unusual "must" packs from you guys?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so much what to pack but I never bother bringing a lighter, I find asking to borrow a light a good way to start up a convo with strangers if I'm in a small group/lost all my friends. Last year I bought a few cans of 'Ting' that saved my life on the Sunday morning so will be doing that again :)

3 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Loads of tinned fruit.

Take them out to the SE corner or anywhere where people are enhancing their evening and watch their reactions when you offer them a tinned peach.

Tinned fruit is fantastic when on MD.

Cup of tea with sugar for me on MD. Lovely stuff. May have to pack some tinned peaches though and give it a try! 

13 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Not so much what to pack but I never bother bringing a lighter, I find asking to borrow a light a good way to start up a convo with strangers if I'm in a small group/lost all my friends. Last year I bought a few cans of 'Ting' that saved my life on the Sunday morning so will be doing that again :)

Do you meet people with no need of a lighter, but who carry one for the same reason?

8 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Loads of tinned fruit.

Take them out to the SE corner or anywhere where people are enhancing their evening and watch their reactions when you offer them a tinned peach.

Tinned fruit is fantastic when on MD.

I'm going to be in the SE corner wildly searching for someone with tinned fruit and my friends are going to think I've lost it. 

7 minutes ago, Skoo said:

I always take a bucket and use it to have a bit of a wash in my porch, I can even manage to wash my hair if I'm really in need of a sort out. Biodegradable shampoo/shower gel of course.

Really sorts you out.

Strongly considering taking a bucket/tub and a flannel(s) instead of baby wipes this year. 

Baby wipes just don't cut it.

This year's luxury will be a bottle or two of handwash.  Proper liquid soap.  

On the Sunday last year, someone had left some handwash at the sinks. Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhh.  It felt nice.

I'll keep a small bottle back for myself, but plan on leaving plenty at the taps.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

I have recently started taking a camping stove and hot water bottle.

We always head back to the tents for a refuel in the evening, and before I head out, I sort out the hot water bottle and leave it in my sleeping bag. When I roll back in at silly o clock in the morning, my sleeping bag is toasty warm!

I also enjoy making the odd cup of tea/coffee if I'm slow to get going in the morning.