Non-essential essentials

MetaKate

Just now, MetaKate said:

Stuff like this just amazes me. I wish I had a the evil genius to plan something equally amusing and harmless. 

The fuckers that dug a big hole covered by a huge puddle by the cider bus one year on the other hand...

...that drew quite a crowd of expectant drunken onlookers. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, naughtygeorgie said:

Having now read the fake dog poo thread, fair play to fake dog poo being above glitter...I bow down to the fake dog poo :P

I couldn't believe it was being sold at Glastonbury tbh and what's worse people apparently bought them as some dude later was pretending to have a poo sandwich, his joke failed on me lol

After reading this site last year I road tested the Lenor bottle idea at a little festival. I'm in my mid 40s and after a good session can't make it through the night without needing to let the spirit run free at least once. The Lenor bottle saved me having to leave the tent in the middle of the night on a few occasions and is now an invaluable part of my festival kit. When taking it to be emptied at the loos the next day others said that it was a brilliant idea and were similarly inspired. 

I'm now monitoring the fabric softener situation in the house closely to ensure that the bottle doesn't get hoyed out with the recycling. 

Edited by Trout Mask Replica

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You'd be surprised how many people stick those bottles in the bin, which is most unpleasant for the cleanup teams.

But Travel Johns are supposed to be a good option for crowds (aren't they?), not that I've ever been able to pluck up the courage to buy an adult nappy. Actually, might be talking rubbish on the Travel Johns. Anyone used them in a crowd?

Yes... and there are two issues... 1. You then have to carry a warm bag of piss until you locate a bin. 2. If you have drunk a particularly large amount of cider, you'd be at risk of an overflow situation. Personally I just reserve them for the use in my tent. 

23 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Yes... and there are two issues... 1. You then have to carry a warm bag of piss until you locate a bin. 2. If you have drunk a particularly large amount of cider, you'd be at risk of an overflow situation. Personally I just reserve them for the use in my tent. 

I always found they were fairly decent at soaking the piss up.

1 hour ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

After reading this site last year I road tested the Lenor bottle idea at a little festival. I'm in my mid 40s and after a good session can't make it through the night without needing to let the spirit run free at least once. The Lenor bottle saved me having to leave the tent in the middle of the night on a few occasions and is now an invaluable part of my festival kit. When taking it to be emptied at the loos the next day others said that it was a brilliant idea and were similarly inspired. 

I'm now monitoring the fabric softener situation in the house closely to ensure that the bottle doesn't get hoyed out with the recycling. 

I've just purchased mine .. now need to ensure 83 loads of washing before the festival :)

10 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

s-l300.jpg

They weigh next to nothing, pack flat to the size of a dinner plate and add so much to your culinary pleasure.  Just sit them on top of a camping stove/burner and you can get a toast factory going in no time.  Beans on toast, pate on toast, scrambled egg on toast, marmalade on toast.  All so much more appetising than just on bread.

Oh I like this. Where do you get one from? Jam on toast at my tent. Oh yeah. I'm in. Cheers dude.

4 hours ago, Perks said:

Oh I like this. Where do you get one from? Jam on toast at my tent. Oh yeah. I'm in. Cheers dude.

Just Google camping toaster.  This one is from Cotswold Outdoor - five quid.  http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/highlander-camping-toaster-d3422063

19 hours ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

Good idea. Nice smelling too!

21 hours ago, Woffy said:

I like whoever it was on here who bought a shitload of children's plastic sunglasses and gave them out to spangled people who subsequently thought their heads had swollen. 

Good skills whoever you are. 

That was me, which made me do flamingos last year, still debating what to do this year

20 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Stuff like this just amazes me. I wish I had a the evil genius to plan something equally amusing and harmless. 

It wasn't really planned we just found a few boxes of them clearing out a garage so we packed them, once we were there we did probably make the evil plan actually :-)

On Thu Apr 13 2017 at 4:06 PM, p.pete said:

Do you meet people with no need of a lighter, but who carry one for the same reason?

I am that sort of person. Always good to have one with a logo of a band or something that you like, too.

on the food front, chocolate haystacks are piss easy to make and robust enough to pack in any kind of last-minute haphazard way. i took about 30 in 2014 and dished them around camp neighbours. went down extremely well, especially as the last time you probably had one you were 7 years old. 

43 minutes ago, liamium said:

on the food front, chocolate haystacks are piss easy to make and robust enough to pack in any kind of last-minute haphazard way. i took about 30 in 2014 and dished them around camp neighbours. went down extremely well, especially as the last time you probably had one you were 7 years old. 

Chocolate haystacks? Are they a bit like rice krispie cakes?

Took hot water bottle last year and has now made the list of "essentials" just a tiny half size one and its perfect for chilly night at camp and to toast sleeping bag. Always take a box worth of lighters 40-50 as find folks so grateful when you let them keep it,plus I lose shit loads. Like to take my hookah pipe as awesome to share with neighbours,just don't forget plenty of mouth tips,also I know it's partly glass but I'm careful and probably no more glass then a bottle of perfume of make up mirror. Also plenty of lollipops,great for a dry mouth plus great to share. Top tip for folks who take bucket to wash,it sounds mad but works. Take a beer box with 5walls still intact I.e only open one end,stand so open end is up,brace box with couple of bands of insulation tape(I take this as find its better then sports tape for sore knees) put a bin inside another(use the free Glasto 1s as their strong as hell) then put inside box. You can safely half fill,but don't use boiling water,warm ok. Then once done lift both bags out and empty,just don't try and move box when filled.Seriously it sounds mad but first tried it 4-5years ago as badly needed a freshen up and been doing it ever since

1 hour ago, glastolover19 said:

Like to take my hookah pipe as awesome to share with neighbours,j

And you'll be a camping where? That's a cool thing to do. :-)

got some great ideas of this thread. Ace