Non-essential essentials

MetaKate

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, James96 said:

Do people genuinely take Lenor bottles, I've got the bladder of a child so I could do with one. Do people not wonder what the fuck you're doing?

They're for tent use usually, I believe. On a year like 2016 where it can take 10 minutes to get your boots on without getting covered in shit, they're very handy.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They're for tent use usually, I believe. On a year like 2016 where it can take 10 minutes to get your boots on without getting covered in shit, they're very handy.

What's the consensus on me filling one of those bad boys up so I don't lose my decent space at a stage? 

What's the consensus on me filling one of those bad boys up so I don't lose my decent space at a stage? 

Long coat / poncho / whatever. Be subtle: not if you're in a crush at the front. And don't just dump it there but pour it away in a long drop / urinal later. Basically, if you can do it without anyone noticing, do it. 

2 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Long coat / poncho / whatever. Be subtle: not if you're in a crush at the front. And don't just dump it there but pour it away in a long drop / urinal later. Basically, if you can do it without anyone noticing, do it. 

Yeah I'd definitely put it in a toilet after, I'm not a monster. 

Yeah I'd definitely put it in a toilet after, I'm not a monster. 

You'd be surprised how many people stick those bottles in the bin, which is most unpleasant for the cleanup teams.

But Travel Johns are supposed to be a good option for crowds (aren't they?), not that I've ever been able to pluck up the courage to buy an adult nappy. Actually, might be talking rubbish on the Travel Johns. Anyone used them in a crowd?

9 minutes ago, James96 said:

As long as you keep it mannerly and discreet, keep the bottle close to you so people don't trip over it and you take it away and empty it afterwards, no one will give a monkey's.  I have she-wee and plan on doing similar for Radiohead. :)

Leaving said bottle lying around is all sorts of manky.  The recycling crew don't deserve that.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You'd be surprised how many people stick those bottles in the bin, which is most unpleasant for the cleanup teams.

But Travel Johns are supposed to be a good option for crowds (aren't they?), not that I've ever been able to pluck up the courage to buy an adult nappy. Actually, might be talking rubbish on the Travel Johns. Anyone used them in a crowd?

If I threw the bottle in the bin, what would I drink out of later in the day? :huh:

I've just remembered about them, they're great. They're not so much a nappy more like pissing into a bag of sand.

18 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This year's luxury will be a bottle or two of handwash.  Proper liquid soap.  

On the Sunday last year, someone had left some handwash at the sinks. Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhh.  It felt nice.

I'll keep a small bottle back for myself, but plan on leaving plenty at the taps.

Wow that reminds me of when I left one area to go and spend a penny at the urinals. I left my backpack  (including wipes, hand sanitiser etc) so I could rush and do a quick number. However as I got to the frontime of the queue I had inner stirrings and cramps leaving me with no option but to rush into a couple and pray that I had a sufficient sized paper receipt in my wallet to help me out.

Amazingly the cubicle I found contained a pack of toilet wipes and I thanked the stars and thought how good it would be to help others in similar predicaments in the future. 

Ten minutes later I forgot all about it but I will be packing excess toilet wipes to enable me to do so.

18 hours ago, mjsell said:

Loads of tinned fruit.

Take them out to the SE corner or anywhere where people are enhancing their evening and watch their reactions when you offer them a tinned peach.

Tinned fruit is fantastic when on MD.

Never accept tinned fruit from strangers kids 

38 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Wow that reminds me of when I left one area to go and spend a penny at the urinals. I left my backpack  (including wipes, hand sanitiser etc) so I could rush and do a quick number. However as I got to the frontime of the queue I had inner stirrings and cramps leaving me with no option but to rush into a couple and pray that I had a sufficient sized paper receipt in my wallet to help me out.

Amazingly the cubicle I found contained a pack of toilet wipes and I thanked the stars and thought how good it would be to help others in similar predicaments in the future. 

Ten minutes later I forgot all about it but I will be packing excess toilet wipes to enable me to do so.

Exactly, it's our festival. If everyone does a few little things to make it better, it makes for an amazing festival - there are so many of us!

I forgot gaffer tape, an absolute non-essential essential.  My life seems to be held together with it, as was my tent - great for holding together broken poles.

Also an essential I'd recommend to all campers is a toaster.

s-l300.jpg

They weigh next to nothing, pack flat to the size of a dinner plate and add so much to your culinary pleasure.  Just sit them on top of a camping stove/burner and you can get a toast factory going in no time.  Beans on toast, pate on toast, scrambled egg on toast, marmalade on toast.  All so much more appetising than just on bread.

14 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Got me wondering. What about that stuff that soaks up the sunlight, then glows in the dark? Could a tent be decorated with that?

Sadly it loses most of it's glow during twilight and is useless come 3am as folk are making their way home

Lenor bottle (other brands available) is an essential.

The taking of excess numbers of glowsticks/things to hand out though is something I just started a year or so back to cheer me up while I couldn't dance and is just great :D so my non-essential thing has to be 'spares'

1 hour ago, Kashkin said:

We sometimes bake and bring a large cake. Wednesday afternoon, hand it out around the camp and to any campsite neighbours who are around.

Where should I camp for the cake? :ph34r:

This also gives me the amazing idea to bake some fresh chocolate chip cookies. They'll be a proper treat. 

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

I like whoever it was on here who bought a shitload of children's plastic sunglasses and gave them out to spangled people who subsequently thought their heads had swollen. 

Good skills whoever you are. 

Stuff like this just amazes me. I wish I had a the evil genius to plan something equally amusing and harmless.