Non-essential essentials

MetaKate

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Skoo said:

I have recently started taking a camping stove and hot water bottle.

We always head back to the tents for a refuel in the evening, and before I head out, I sort out the hot water bottle and leave it in my sleeping bag. When I roll back in at silly o clock in the morning, my sleeping bag is toasty warm!

This sounds almost too luxurious...I have to go check camping stove prices now. 

Just now, MetaKate said:

This sounds almost too luxurious...I have to go check camping stove prices now. 

I started doing it because the one thing that used to detract from my happiness at Glasto was how cold I would always get. I feel the cold more than most, and it does get chilly. When people say they only need a hoody and their waterproof for the evenings I don't know how they're doing it - I'm out there with full puffa jacket! Sexy.

So for me it was about trying to find a way to get over the coldness and the hot water bottle is a game changer!

14 minutes ago, Untz said:

Strongly considering taking a bucket/tub and a flannel(s) instead of baby wipes this year. 

Baby wipes just don't cut it.

I can definitely recommend this. It's amazing how clean you can feel after washing your hair and body in half a bucket of warm soapy water. 

37 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Cup of tea with sugar for me on MD. Lovely stuff. May have to pack some tinned peaches though and give it a try! 

Oh to go back to that moment I first tried a tinned peach. You never forget your first time. Pineapple is also a goer, but could be too sweet for some peoples tastes. Mango, Mandarin and Melon are all great options too. I draw the line at Apricot and Prunes though.

37 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I'm going to be in the SE corner wildly searching for someone with tinned fruit and my friends are going to think I've lost it. 

You can't search for the tinned fruit. The tinned fruit finds you.

13 minutes ago, alc1 said:

I can definitely recommend this. It's amazing how clean you can feel after washing your hair and body in half a bucket of warm soapy water. 

Oh I won't be taking anything to heat the water up. A brisk cold wash should sort me right out. 

28 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This year's luxury will be a bottle or two of handwash.  Proper liquid soap.  

On the Sunday last year, someone had left some handwash at the sinks. Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhh.  It felt nice.

I'll keep a small bottle back for myself, but plan on leaving plenty at the taps.

If you get really nice-smelling stuff, watching people's faces as they both get and smell clean is a delight. :)  I had mandarin scented last year which proved quite a hit.

Last year during 'Earth Wind and Fire' some lads rocked up with a full backpack each, stood a little bit uncomfortably close and generally looked a bit cagey.  A few mins later they all reached into their backpacks for fistfuls of glow sticks, cracked them and hurled them into the air. it was ABSOLUTELY MAGICAL.

Emboldened by this we took many hundreds of kazoos to Boomtown last year and the SHEER UTTER JOY they brought made it worth the effort - "no... just hum, don't blow, hummmm". HUMMMMM". Naturally, we'll be doing that again, sweet sweet tooty music.

1 hour ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Not so much what to pack but I never bother bringing a lighter, I find asking to borrow a light a good way to start up a convo with strangers if I'm in a small group/lost all my friends. Last year I bought a few cans of 'Ting' that saved my life on the Sunday morning so will be doing that again :)

I've never smoked in my life but in my single days I'd never go out to the pub without a lighter. You never want to be in a position of having to say no when an attractive young lady asks you if you have a light.

1 minute ago, Smeble said:

I've never smoked in my life but in my single days I'd never go out to the pub without a lighter. You never want to be in a position of having to say no when an attractive young lady asks you if you have a light.

Can always pull the 'no, but I'll help you find one as I need one too', but I'm not single myself so not of much concern to me st the moment

1 hour ago, mjsell said:

Loads of tinned fruit.

Take them out to the SE corner or anywhere where people are enhancing their evening and watch their reactions when you offer them a tinned peach.

Tinned fruit is fantastic when on MD.

Surely tinned pineapple is the one?! It would be like licking a battery!

1 hour ago, Smeble said:

Apart from the fact that she's a dirty smoker* with ashtray breath. 

*not had one for 2 years. Man I miss 'em.