Best and Worst Train Journeys

Worst- Minsk to Vilnius hell train, about 2 hours at each border and a train that didn't feel fit to go ..better than Belarusian air though.

best- train between Nice and Marseille with what felt like half of Hungary and Iceland on it for the Euros amazing atmosphere

BEST -  Old Steam Train from Trinidad to the Sugar Mills Valley - Valle de los Ingenios in Cuba. 

A train trip with my now wife which I will never forget - unless I get something like Alzheimer's disease.

WORST - A train trip back to Birmingham from London just after I'd got off a flight from Singapore. The train broke down about 45 minutes in to the journey and none of the train staff could tell us what was being done about it. Eventually I decided (as did many others) that the only thing to do was to get a train back in to London and another train back out again to Birmingham. When I got to Birmingham it was to discover that a lot of the roads and footpaths had been closed off for the St.Patrick's Day Parade. It meant walking with my bags around a mentally long alternative route. 

Worst ever is clearly anything to do with the vermin at Transpennine Express. 

The best: We were travelling from Zurich to Munich on an Interpol tour about ten years ago. The train was delayed because of strikes (I think) and bad weather. Still, we got a shitload of free beer and arrived in Munch absolutely loaded.

In terms of pure beauty, the train ride going through the Alps from Italy into Switzerland takes some beating.