Who is left to still play the festival?

Matt42

28 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

The first rehearsal bit? That was an amazing scene.

Yeah, this bit

It's all in the little nods, the eye contact, the tiny little gestures. A tangible sense that they realise that together, this is what they're just fucking meant to do. Every time i watch it it blows me away. Mind, everytime i watch it i half expect Mani to keel over. He looks half a second away from puffing his last.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

In that manor house in black and white?

That is the worst piece of film ever made. That made me say, "if they do new stuff it's probably gonna be good. Looks like could have at least a couple of excellent singles if not an album very very soon."

2 fucking years later I get home from the pub a little tipsy very knackered.. Dead excited. You tube on. "Oh  can stay up an extra 15 minutes and listen to it a few times just in case it doesn't grab me straight away, even though I'm working tomorrow."

"All for one, one for all
If we all join hands, we'll make a wall
All for one, one for all
If we all join hands, we'll make a wall"

Couldn't fucking sleep I was that horrified. YOU GAVE ME FUCKING HOPE, MEADOWS!!!

Isn't it amazing how much they've pissed away all the excitement, all the hysteria, all their legacy in a couple of years. 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

I read an interview with Blur about the last album that they made in no time.

Apparently William Orbit was once amazed at how they work.

Damon basically says 'I've got something, Graham, here are the chords'. Graham starts playing something with those chords and Alex and Dave jump in and play along. Orbit was amazed at how quickly it all works, but (I think) Alex said 'that's how it's always worked when we get together'.

Actually, on that note, I'm also pretty sure that the first song they ever wrote together was She's So High (not a bad start).

I've not checked either, but I'm pretty sure the first song they did was 'Sing', which is also not bad.

36 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've not checked either, but I'm pretty sure the first song they did was 'Sing', which is also not bad.

Blur’s debut single, 1990’s ‘She’s So High’ nodded heavily to the Stone Roses-led baggy movement that was topping the charts at the time, but Albarn insisted that the similarities were merely coincidental. “All the material we started off with a year ago is suddenly ‘in’ now,” he told NME at the time. “Like, ‘She’s So High’ is the first song we ever wrote and that hasn’t changed at all”.
Read more at http://www.nme.com/photos/the-stories-behind-24-of-blur-s-greatest-tracks-1416171#TO0DlGskvUB8jWZd.99

4 hours ago, Homer said:

I read an interview with Blur about the last album that they made in no time.

Apparently William Orbit was once amazed at how they work.

Damon basically says 'I've got something, Graham, here are the chords'. Graham starts playing something with those chords and Alex and Dave jump in and play along. Orbit was amazed at how quickly it all works, but (I think) Alex said 'that's how it's always worked when we get together'.

Actually, on that note, I'm also pretty sure that the first song they ever wrote together was She's So High (not a bad start).

She's So High wasn't just the first song they wrote together - they wrote it in their first rehearsal ever together as a 4 piece. Alex recounts the tale in his book (the one not about cheese). Though it's kind of atypical of the way they went on to work together, as Alex came up with the guitar riff, which Graham then played, and Graham ended up playing bass on the track as Alex hadn't really learnt to play yet. Damon had the 'she is so high' refrain written in a lyric book that he kept with him, and Graham wrote the lyrics for the verses.

I mean I think She's So High is one of their worst songs but it's a good story at least. 

Though the Blur magic is mainly down to Damon and Graham and they've been playing music together since they were 12 or something.

5 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

All for one was that bad that for a couple of days, I convinced myself that Beautiful Thing was dead good, just as good as anything on second coming and not that far off the debut.

Didn't last long. If I thought they were intelligent enough, I'd sweat that all for one was done on purpose so that whatever came afterwards would sound so much better. 

I absolutely love The Roses, off to see them the night before Glasto in Leeds but you couldn't pay me to listen to those new tunes when I'm got some music on , absolute gash ! 

Edited by swede

4 hours ago, Homer said:

Blur’s debut single, 1990’s ‘She’s So High’ nodded heavily to the Stone Roses-led baggy movement that was topping the charts at the time, but Albarn insisted that the similarities were merely coincidental. “All the material we started off with a year ago is suddenly ‘in’ now,” he told NME at the time. “Like, ‘She’s So High’ is the first song we ever wrote and that hasn’t changed at all”.
Read more at http://www.nme.com/photos/the-stories-behind-24-of-blur-s-greatest-tracks-1416171#TO0DlGskvUB8jWZd.99

1 hour ago, somecoolusername said:

She's So High wasn't just the first song they wrote together - they wrote it in their first rehearsal ever together as a 4 piece. Alex recounts the tale in his book (the one not about cheese). Though it's kind of atypical of the way they went on to work together, as Alex came up with the guitar riff, which Graham then played, and Graham ended up playing bass on the track as Alex hadn't really learnt to play yet. Damon had the 'she is so high' refrain written in a lyric book that he kept with him, and Graham wrote the lyrics for the verses.

I mean I think She's So High is one of their worst songs but it's a good story at least. 

Though the Blur magic is mainly down to Damon and Graham and they've been playing music together since they were 12 or something.

Well, I shall be having one of my hats for supper. I could have sworn that anecdote was about 'Sing'. Memory eh?

6 hours ago, Dark Star said:

Kraftwerk would be great, but imagine they'd probably want fairly decent money.  
Doesn't Ray have mega bad stage fright, like singing in the dark at the side of the stage, bad?  
Skynyrd haven't existed since the crash.  There are better tribute acts than the one rolling around using their name.

To be fair, Skynyrd have had some great line-ups since the crash with 4 or 5 original members and singers brother on vocals.Ive seen them three times since the crash and they've been great every time.

The original members are dropping one by one so I've no idea what the current line up is like though

15 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

There's a passage in a book I read about U2 from a few years back about tge writing of Achtung Baby, where they are really struggling to come up with anything and then they hit upon the riff to One, Bono starts with the "We are one but we're not the same, we've got to carry each other" over the top of it and they're away. 

It's  (obviously) much better described in the book but a similar thing to the moment Mardy has described, there's something magical when a band clicks together.

Youve seen "From the Sky Down"? Bit you're talking about above about how "One" was written is on there. It's pretty special to see the song just emerge from nowhere...

"Get me an acoustic guitar at the speed of light..." 

50 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Youve seen "From the Sky Down"? Bit you're talking about above about how "One" was written is on there. It's pretty special to see the song just emerge from nowhere...

"Get me an acoustic guitar at the speed of light..." 

I've not seen that, no. Looks like it's on YouTube, I'll have a look.

I actually really like Beautiful Thing :lol: Evidently in the minority, I think it's a belter. Completely agree on All For One though, and the way they've completely taken the p*ss with yet another rehash of the same songs on the new 'tour'. The fact that Ian Brown hasn't released another solo album makes me think there must have been a chance of some proper new material at some point, but something has been holding them up/messing with them (i.e. Reni).

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Well, I shall be having one of my hats for supper. I could have sworn that anecdote was about 'Sing'. Memory eh?

All of the above is true (I Googled it), bar Graham playing bass. That was a different early song. (The bass on 'She's So High' does sound very 'Alex').

Just now, Homer said:

All of the above is true (I Googled it), bar Graham playing bass. That was a different early song. (The bass on 'She's So High' does sound very 'Alex').

Oh I believe you.  You both agree and did research.  The clicher that I've remembered it wrong - Alex's autobiography was my source.

On 12 April 2017 at 10:32 PM, plaskins said:

Bruno Mars

A Michael Jackson Hologram

Prince

Kylie

Jamie Vardy

Noel Gallagher (as a solo artist)

Talking MJ hologram.... Is that what The Jacksons have up their sleeve for their set? Or do they have a substitute? Looking forward to seeing them, but wondering how they'll fill the Michael sized gap?

53 minutes ago, poppyh24 said:

Talking MJ hologram.... Is that what The Jacksons have up their sleeve for their set? Or do they have a substitute? Looking forward to seeing them, but wondering how they'll fill the Michael sized gap?

I saw them at Bestival a couple of years back. They're great, even without him. One nice touch was that they played old footage of them all on screens beside the stage. I think that they might be restricted to the amount that they can play of the really old stuff (ABC, I want you back...), as they played a lot of those songs as a medley.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/04/2017 at 3:37 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

In that manor house in black and white?

That is the worst piece of film ever made. That made me say, "if they do new stuff it's probably gonna be good. Looks like could have at least a couple of excellent singles if not an album very very soon."

2 fucking years later I get home from the pub a little tipsy very knackered.. Dead excited. You tube on. "Oh  can stay up an extra 15 minutes and listen to it a few times just in case it doesn't grab me straight away, even though I'm working tomorrow."

"All for one, one for all
If we all join hands, we'll make a wall
All for one, one for all
If we all join hands, we'll make a wall"

Couldn't fucking sleep I was that horrified. YOU GAVE ME FUCKING HOPE, MEADOWS!!!

Saw them play it in Halifax and the fucking roof went off though!

On 18/04/2017 at 11:41 AM, Ejestivals said:

I saw them at Bestival a couple of years back. They're great, even without him. One nice touch was that they played old footage of them all on screens beside the stage. I think that they might be restricted to the amount that they can play of the really old stuff (ABC, I want you back...), as they played a lot of those songs as a medley.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I was there too until i had to leave for Todd Terje. What i see was excellent.