Who is left to still play the festival?

Matt42

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Dave_c said:

Dire Straits

No joke, would genuinely be down for a Dire Straits slot. Knopfler would never reunite the band but...

1. Tunnel of Love
2. Walk of Life
3. Private Investigations
4. Sultans of Swing
5. So Far Away
6. Romeo and Juliet
7. On Every Street 
8. Telegraph Road 
9. Brothers in Arms 
10. Money for Nothing 
11. Going Home (Theme from Local Hero)

Factor in the length of live cuts and the occasional mumble, that's 85 minutes I'd happily take on the Other Stage on a Saturday night opposite a big shiny pop production (say a Beyonce or a (dare we whisper) Little Mix).

Of course, I realise I'm sorely in the minority here of liking Dire Straits but whatever. I've sure you've realised my tastes are eclectic, to put it kindly and mildly.

34 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

No joke, would genuinely be down for a Dire Straits slot. Knopfler would never reunite the band but...

1. Tunnel of Love
2. Walk of Life
4. Sultans of Swing
5. So Far Away
6. Romeo and Juliet
7. On Every Street 
8. Telegraph Road 
9. Brothers in Arms 
10. Money for Nothing 

Factor in the length of live cuts and the occasional mumble, that's 85 minutes I'd happily take on the Other Stage on a Saturday night opposite a big shiny pop production (say a Beyonce or a (dare we whisper) Little Mix).

Of course, I realise I'm sorely in the minority here of liking Dire Straits but whatever. I've sure you've realised my tastes are eclectic, to put it kindly and mildly.

I would be all over that set list. I love Dire Straits, the guitar playing in Sultans of Swing is magic. If we are in the minority then the masses are missing out!

17 hours ago, Mardy said:

There's always going to be gap into which some acts fall, they don't really know/get/understand the cultural significance of the festival and/or they're not willing to take a reduced payday. That, i reckon, accounts for 90% of the missing acts. Bands like Santana, they ain't cheap, and why would they reduce their fees? Glastonbury means nothing to them

I think you are spot on. But it still strikes me as strange. Do these artists really not understand the cultural significance or financial potential (not to mention the possible 'legendary performance' cache of a well received Glastonbury show?

I really struggle to understand why any act would turn down the opportunity to have a crack at storming Glastonbury, Certainly when quibbling over money.

9 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

1. Tunnel of Love
2. Walk of Life
4. Sultans of Swing
5. So Far Away
6. Romeo and Juliet
7. On Every Street 
8. Telegraph Road 
9. Brothers in Arms 
10. Money for Nothing 

Wow! That would be perfect! Saw them years ago and they were fab!

And, I'd be totally up for Tom Waits too. Unfortunately, he doesn't like flying these days. <pout>

the biggest ones are all mentioned I think.. but don't forget Barry 'Bazzer' Manilow... the most curious omission so far for me is Elton John. My dad says don't forget Dean Friedman and David Essex! .... I could say Liz Fraser but that's almost less likely than Kate Bush....Swans do festivals... btw I should point out I've never heard of any of these bands as I'm much too young.

16 hours ago, Boris said:

the biggest ones are all mentioned I think.. but don't forget Barry 'Bazzer' Manilow... the most curious omission so far for me is Elton John. My dad says don't forget Dean Friedman and David Essex! .... I could say Liz Fraser but that's almost less likely than Kate Bush....Swans do festivals... btw I should point out I've never heard of any of these bands as I'm much too young.

lol David Essex, utterly baffling how this tone deaf talentless buffoon ever had a singing career 

Edited by Smeble

1 hour ago, plaskins said:

Black Sabbath ever done it? Not that it would be any good these days, Ozzy has been like a zombie for years

Given they played their (it says here) last ever gig a few months back, it's unlikely. 

Ozzy could do it solo though.

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

If by absolutely fantastic you mean utterly shite.

One of Britain's most pioneering and inspirational pop groups. They have a whole host of fantastic songs and they would light up the festival. Would be scandalous for a front man as good as Phil Oakey not to grace the festival.

10 minutes ago, eastynh said:

One of Britain's most pioneering and inspirational pop groups. They have a whole host of fantastic songs and they would light up the festival. Would be scandalous for a front man as good as Phil Oakey not to grace the festival.

Alright then. You've convinced me.