Festival "fashion" - what's your take on the concept?

OneLittleFish

What's your take on "festival fashion"?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. What importance does festival fashion have to you?

• It's really important that I'm looking good or fashionable at a festival. It's a social event and I went to look my best
    • I want to look decent but wouldn't go overboard with what I'm wearing
    • It doesn't hold that much importance to me but I still put thought into how I appear at a festival
    • I don't care at all, I take old clothes and whatever is on the tent floor first I put on
    • I'm a member of the Wurzels

More and more over the years there seems to be an emphasis on festival "fashion" - whether it's shops trying to cash in on the season or daytime TV following celebs or that.

I'm not that comfortable with it - there's a horrible Daily Fail article that goes along the lines of what punters got festival fashion right or wrong - and has pictures of exclusively female festival goers being objectified with either a green tick or red cross next to them. For me I take old clothes, stuff from charity shops (other than the essentials like decent hiking boots, walking socks, w aterproofs etc) and whatever is clean and comes to hand goes on. I don't like how the concept of "festival fashion" can be a part of a festival where everyone is on an even level and enjoying the same experience - however I do respect that some people enjoy looking good and want to make the effort. It's the commercial aspect of it that I dislike.

Edited by OneLittleFish

I'm not into fashion, I find the concept vaguely repellent, but I do like wearing more unusual things at Glastonbury than in 'real life'.

Normally I'd feel too self conscious of looking like a dick, but at Glastonbury, I don't really care.  If 10 people think I look like an idiot, but I bring a smile to 2 person's face, then I'm more interested in adding a bit of colour to the proceedings.  So I wear an old white jacket from a barbershop chorus I uses to be in, and a flashing t-shirt, and a "9. Pablo Honey" shirt.

And, of course - two hats. 

Hopefully I'm not in season, but in some very small way, I add to the festival by my attire.

Last year I took 5 bespoke hand crafted outfits due to the luxury of working, driving and camping on site.  

Today I am washing the mud from one of last years outfits having finally got round to stripping over 300 LEDs from it last night.  

Currently bidding on another eBay item for this year.   For me its very important.

I never take my "good" clothes to festivals as I don't want them ruined/nicked/covered in s##t. Neither do I particularly care about festival fashion.

Depending on the weather it's always an old T-shirt, jeans or shorts, wellies or old trainers, a hoodie for when it starts getting a chilly and a rain jacket if required. Nothing more complicated than that.

I put as much effort into looking good as I do on any regular day. Definitely going for function over fashion....but with that said....

I think it's quite fun to wear insane stuff I'd never wear otherwise. I never put money into it and I dont expect to make it into a magazine. I love seeing what everyone else has put together as well and I love people who go totally bonkers with their outfits.  It's all part of the experience to me. 

I'm from the "it's a chance to wear something a bit unusual and not be ridiculed for it" school of thought, along with others here. 

I think there's two types of festival fashion- the Daily Fail type of fashion that consists of hunters/hotpants/big earrings, and then there's our fashion, proper festival goers, with our fairy wings/stripy tights/bright pink fur coat etc.