Festival Bags

JoBalls

Now that we're all paid up and the festival is getting closer, I'm having a think about things I need for the festival, and my biggest conundrum every year... what bag to take. 

The last couple of years I've taken a backpack... good for carrying all my booze around and everything fits in one bag. However, the downside is that i'm always mindful that someone might dip into it without me noticing and nick my purse or phone, which means I have to move it to my front whilst watching bands. This is awkward and uncomfortable.

Prior to the backpack years I used to take a shoulder bag for my money and phone etc, and then use the guardian bag for my booze which was good because I could just keep the shoulder bag in front of me when watching bands but it killed my shoulder, plus the guardian bag is not the comfiest for carrying heavy booze round all day and I had nowhere to stash my mac/hoodie if it was warm. 

Is there an ideal solution?!

What do you all people do, bag wise? Any tips?

Edited by JoBalls

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's totally unfashionable but last year I wore a bumbag (or fanny pack as they say in the US!) to store the basics and then got a bottle with a clip that I could clip onto my jean belt hooks or bag... Seemed to work well. Mac/jacket would be tied around my waist when not worn. Hope that helps. :)  Was good cause I never felt like I was holding anything or had to carry heavy bags around. Have fun!

Bum bags are great for putting you money and other important things in.. As smashers says hook it up or something and all is safe.. 

Who cares what you look like.. Once your pissed and wobbly having stuff safe is important 

I have a very thin lightweight backpack that I got from Ikea which I used last year.

It didn't get in the way, slowly emptied as I used things throughout the day, before finally rolling up to tennis ball size to put in my pocket by headliner time.

Had it more than a year now, use it loads, and it has never torn.

I'm a backpack person tbh, have a small cycling one that usually holds bladder pack (but taken this out) from decathlon, it's a little bulky during the day as my fleece and beers pad it out but just take it off in the day and have near my feet. same as headliner time tend to put near feet with a few glow sticks attached

I've tried taking cross bags but puts too much pressure on one shoulder so prefer backpack.... i know folk like using canvas bags and the guardian ones but they are not waterproof or secure so don't use them myself

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Just buy a copy of the Guardian on day one.

I don't think they sell them with bags til Friday do they?  I've been using the same one of these for over 20 years now, the zip's a bit cranky and it has an ink stain in the corner that adds character but otherwise is still going strong.

myJSbm4UK-LxaalT0OWZYuw.jpg

I've always been more of a smoker than a drinker, so never had a need for much in the way of capacity, but one of these carries everything I need, acts as a backrest when sitting, a pillow when lying and a rolling table in crowds.

Backpack with valuables at the bottom or in the pocket at the back. If someone's skilled enough to go rummaging past all the other shite in there and manage to fish out the <£50 in my purse and £10 shitty phone without me noticing when even I struggle to find the bastard things, they're welcome to them.

Husband carries a drybag around with him. Impossible to get into easily and bulky but it contains everything needed for a full shift in wet or dry weather (coats, thermos, snacks, suncream) and stuff for the day in case we cant be arsed to go home in between work and bands. It also means you can put it down anywhere and all the stuff doesnt get soaked.

6 hours ago, Spindles said:

I don't think they sell them with bags til Friday do they?  I've been using the same one of these for over 20 years now, the zip's a bit cranky and it has an ink stain in the corner that adds character but otherwise is still going strong.

I've always been more of a smoker than a drinker, so never had a need for much in the way of capacity, but one of these carries everything I need, acts as a backrest when sitting, a pillow when lying and a rolling table in crowds.

Pretty sure you can get a bag on the Thursday. 

6 hours ago, Spindles said:

Looks and sounds very familiar.  Are you sure you're not me Spindles? :lol:

6 hours ago, Brumbot said:

As others have said - a bumbag for the valuables and a backpack for my booze, coat etc. It doesn't look great but it's functional and that's what matters!

I find this the best approach. The guardian bags work really well as they fold up if you have to wear your coat and have drunk all your booze. 

Never wear a bag which is too bulky because they don't work well with crowds and dancing.

I bought a new backpack for last year. Nothing remarkable about it, just a standard over the shoulder backpack, although it does have cool flowery/paisley type pattern which is pretty nice. It's been stuffed away in a cupboard since we got back on Monday night last year. I don't have anything to add to the conversation re practicalities, but I would like to ask; is it sad that I just got ridiculously excited about digging out said bag again? 

Does anyone remember the manbag/rucksack combo that was posted on here around this time last year? I remember I was strongly considering buying it but ultimately decided against it cause I wasn't working and was short on cash. If I can find it I might get one for this year.