Why no Stereophonics?

Cooter

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They could play and bring out all the stars from off of The Office.

Big Keith.  Finchy saying "While you're down their love".  Scotch eggs firing out at the audience.  A giant inflatable photocopier flying over the Pyramid Stage.

The gig ends with Finchy stealing one of Kelly Jones' shoes and throwing it over the Pyramid.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christ why the hatred for Stereophonics !?
Might not be the most relevant band, but I'd certainly like to see them on the line up, lots of brilliant hits! Might not be Radiohead, but they'd be great fun and pull a huge crowd.  

Isn't hand bags and gladrags a cover anyway?

Exactly the sort of band Glastonbury shouldn't be booking if you ask me, yet the Kaiser Chiefs somehow manage it. They are irrelevant and years beyond their peak, they would be a pointless booking (like the Kaiser Chiefs) maybe in 20 years if they stop performing in the meantime, and once nostalgia has managed to make them seem better than they are.

They probably find themselves in a position where they arent relevant enought for a big slot yet do well enough that they can in other festivals and still do arenas etc so are at a point where it doesnt quite work for either side. 

Not a big fan or anything but I do think theyd go down well though, got a load of well known hits that people can sing along to. 

6 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Isn't hand bags and gladrags a cover anyway?

Exactly the sort of band Glastonbury shouldn't be booking if you ask me, yet the Kaiser Chiefs somehow manage it. They are irrelevant and years beyond their peak, they would be a pointless booking (like the Kaiser Chiefs) maybe in 20 years if they stop performing in the meantime, and once nostalgia has managed to make them seem better than they are.

Why are the Kaiser Chiefs or Stereophonics pointless bookings? Because they used to be bigger acts?

40 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Why are the Kaiser Chiefs or Stereophonics pointless bookings? Because they used to be bigger acts?

Well it's subjective of course, it's pointless to me because they've been around for ages, their best days and hits are well behind them, there have been millions of opportunities to see them at other festivals and gigs when they were much bigger and much more relevant. I see it as a pointless booking because their slot could go to a band on an upward trajectory. Of course if you are a fan you won't see it that way which I completely accept.

2 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

If 1 person turns up to see an act then there is a point in booking them.

Not necessarily, it depends on how much it cost to book them, if they're an expensive booking and just one person turns up, then you could argue that the money would've been far better spent on something else, or just given to charity instead of entertaining one person. Of course it's all hypothetical and would never happen, unless it's Jez from peep show performing at a Christian rock fest.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Not necessarily, it depends on how much it cost to book them, if they're an expensive booking and just one person turns up, then you could argue that the money would've been far better spent on something else, or just given to charity instead of entertaining one person. Of course it's all hypothetical and would never happen, unless it's Jez from peep show performing at a Christian rock fest.

No. It makes it a stupid booking booking but not a pointless one.

You paid £1m to book GWAR to perform at some folk fest and there's 1 person there who wants to see them. The point in that is to entertain that 1 folk/GWAR fan attending the festival but it's rather stupid that you've paid £1m to book GWAR for the wrong demographic.

6 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

No. It makes it a stupid booking booking but not a pointless one.

You paid £1m to book GWAR to perform at some folk fest and there's 1 person there who wants to see them. The point in that is to entertain that 1 folk/GWAR fan attending the festival but it's rather stupid that you've paid £1m to book GWAR for the wrong demographic.

So you're saying GWAR are definitely playing Avalon?

I’ve got the privilege of the stereophonics at Kendal Calling this year. Haven’t seen them since 08 and only then as we stumbled past the venue they were playing at while on holiday in the states. They’ve got a fair smattering of cracking singles and every so often I’ll hear a new one and think it isn’t too bad, but they’ve also got Mr Writer – which is the worst song that’s ever been released by any artist in recorded history.

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Well it's subjective of course, it's pointless to me because they've been around for ages, their best days and hits are well behind them, there have been millions of opportunities to see them at other festivals and gigs when they were much bigger and much more relevant. I see it as a pointless booking because their slot could go to a band on an upward trajectory. Of course if you are a fan you won't see it that way which I completely accept.

TBF you could argie the same for loads of bands at Glastonbury. Barry Gibb, Chic, Kristofferson, Lanegan, Jacksons, Toots, Flaming Lips just for some of thetop of my head. 

Hell you could even argue Radiohead and Foo Fighters if you wanted to push it. 

3 minutes ago, Badlands said:

I’ve got the privilege of the stereophonics at Kendal Calling this year. Haven’t seen them since 08 and only then as we stumbled past the venue they were playing at while on holiday in the states. They’ve got a fair smattering of cracking singles and every so often I’ll hear a new one and think it isn’t too bad, but they’ve also got Mr Writer – which is the worst song that’s ever been released by any artist in recorded history.

Oh god, I forgot Mr Writer. Wasn't it the first single from an album too? "Yeah, fuck you journalists, how dare you criticise my plodding band....here's another fucking plodder!"

17 hours ago, supasum said:

Might not be the most relevant band, but I'd certainly like to see them on the line up, lots of brilliant hits! Might not be Radiohead, but they'd be great fun and pull a huge crowd.  

I'd go! Be glorious if drunk

9 minutes ago, Badlands said:

5 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Oh god, I forgot Mr Writer. Wasn't it the first single from an album too? "Yeah, fuck you journalists, how dare you criticise my plodding band....here's another fucking plodder!"

Mr. Writer is one of the reasons I would go! :-o Does that count as a guilty pleasure, or am I just wrong??

On a serious note, many people on the threads are v excited about the possibility of the Manics. Are they not (and I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of shit for this) kind of the similar in many ways?

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I'd go! Be glorious if drunk

Mr. Writer is one of the reasons I would go! :-o Does that count as a guilty pleasure, or am I just wrong??

most things are, tbf.  that's kind of the appeal :P

On a serious note, many people on the threads are v excited about the possibility of the Manics. Are they not (and I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of shit for this) kind of the similar in many ways?

they are both guitar bands, 20 years past their heyday and, most of all, Welsh.