Drinks at which bars

guypjfreak

On 17/04/2017 at 8:25 PM, guypjfreak said:

Great.. I am writing this down.. So please keep them coming.. 

Homemade lemonade with vodka sounds grand old son 

I was just thinking that I ought to note all these down so if you're already doing it, would you care to share it?

I was given a taste of a Bloody Mary up at Strummerville and although I wouldn't normally consider one, as I think it's like drinking a pasta sauce, it was really good.  Definitely heading up there again this year - it's my new favourite place (with Avalon Inn and the Bimble Inn).  Must make a point of visiting a few new ones as well though.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 21/04/2017 at 3:45 PM, saintfletch said:

On the subject of bloody Mary's, we went on a bit of a mission one year as they do sort you out if you are feeling a little shite. This is where we found they did them:

The cocktail van in T&C (with the revolving cage on the top where people dance)

Beat Hotel (expensive)

Bar next to the Heaven stage in Shangri La

Didn't see this before my last post but, as I said there,  try one up at Strummerville - amazing!  No idea of the price as the barman  just gave me a free samples (!!) so I didn't have to pay.  My recollection of why this happened is a little hazy!

On 2017-5-3 at 4:16 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello pie_and_a_pint,

Yes, I'm well, thanks. Hope that you are too?

I must confess that I'm not always too sure where a comma is or isn't appropriate. I'm sure that there must be many occasions in the past where I have over used them - probably to the utter disdain of those who got better than a C at O' Level in English language. 

I think that you are doing the litter picking this year, aren't you? Good luck with that if you are. :)

I am indeed litterpicking. Four mornings of 6am shifts, but it'll be worth it :)

8 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I was just thinking that I ought to note all these down so if you're already doing it, would you care to share it?

I was given a taste of a Bloody Mary up at Strummerville and although I wouldn't normally consider one, as I think it's like drinking a pasta sauce, it was really good.  Definitely heading up there again this year - it's my new favourite place (with Avalon Inn and the Bimble Inn).  Must make a point of visiting a few new ones as well though.

I've not yet written it up properly all I'm doing is writing say 

Avalon Inn... Cider.. Lager.. Spirits.. Ect.. 

In the end I hope to have a list I can look at and go ha that bar does a good bloody Mary ect.. Plus as I have fussy mates who want San migel so that's how this started lol.. I'll be pleased to share list once it's done tho.. 

So people need more info lol 

10 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I am indeed litterpicking. Four mornings of 6am shifts, but it'll be worth it :)

I used to go litter picking around a local reservoir to me because the anglers and other people used to leave so much crap behind them that it got to me. I'd go there on my own with bin bags and clean up their litter etc. I did it that often that the fishermen thought I was an official Ranger patrolling the reservoir banks. I wasn't. I just did it off my own back. I eventually gave up doing it when I realized that I was pissing in the wind ie. it would just be as bad the next week as it was the week before. I suppose with your litter picking you might actually find certain pharmaceuticals. I know that this wouldn't interest you though, but it would me. 

Anyway, have a good one, and thanks from the lot of us for the work you put in. Fuck knows what the site would look like a few days in, if it weren't for the volunteers like yourself. :)

12 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I used to go litter picking around a local reservoir to me because the anglers and other people used to leave so much crap behind them that it got to me. I'd go there on my own with bin bags and clean up their litter etc. I did it that often that the fishermen thought I was an official Ranger patrolling the reservoir banks. I wasn't. I just did it off my own back. I eventually gave up doing it when I realized that I was pissing in the wind ie. it would just be as bad the next week as it was the week before. I suppose with your litter picking you might actually find certain pharmaceuticals. I know that this wouldn't interest you though, but it would me. 

Anyway, have a good one, and thanks from the lot of us for the work you put in. Fuck knows what the site would look like a few days in, if it weren't for the volunteers like yourself. :)

That's a really nice thing to do Yog. I hate it when people leave litter - I live near a common with a river running through it and there's always chip wrappers, pizza boxes and fag ends there like people don't appreciate its beauty. And all the dog shit, of course.... *angryface*

Never found any pharmaceuticals, or any significant amounts of cash - lots of loose change though as I think people hand over paper money at the bar and chuck away the 10ps and 20ps they get in change. I did find several of the metal pint cups last year though, which people had lobbed on the ground. Perfect condition after a good wash, and worth a tenner each :)

Fluffy Rock in Greenfields has great value cocktails for £5-£6. Bar staff are really friendly there too and they have some good live acts.

There was also a place in the back right hand corner of Green Futures last year that was selling some proper head-banger scrumpy. It didn't appear to have an actual name and had some "interesting" clients :lol: - maybe someone else can enlighten me.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Fred Zepplin said:

what soft drinks are available at the bars? will be a dry festival this year for me and the wife since she will be 17 weeks pregnant.

most bars seem to have those 'WunderBar' syrup dispenser things that do coke, lemonade etc

no idea on prices though, sorry

On 2017-5-24 at 0:02 PM, Fred Zepplin said:

what soft drinks are available at the bars? will be a dry festival this year for me and the wife since she will be 17 weeks pregnant.

some bars use the syrup dispenser although the main Counter bars do not use that system
as they tend to clog up.So they will have large bottles and pour into cups.

its mainly Pepsi { or Coke } - lemonade - orange juice but it is expensive although it will work out cheaper buying a pint and just asking for a spare 1/2 pint cup - 

I don't work in the main bars anymore but it used to be - Pepsi 1/2 pint £2 Pepsi 1 pint £3

if I had to just drinks soft drinks I would bring my own

5 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

some bars use the syrup dispenser although the main Counter bars do not use that system
as they tend to clog up.So they will have large bottles and pour into cups.

its mainly Pepsi { or Coke } - lemonade - orange juice but it is expensive although it will work out cheaper buying a pint and just asking for a spare 1/2 pint cup - 

I don't work in the main bars anymore but it used to be - Pepsi 1/2 pint £2 Pepsi 1 pint £3

if I had to just drinks soft drinks I would bring my own

Thanks. I suppose if it's from a bottle as well it will be warm. We will bring some squash with us and drink that mainly but would be nice to get a cold drink. I know the ice cream vans sell cold drink but most of them again are warm 

2 hours ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Thanks. I suppose if it's from a bottle as well it will be warm. We will bring some squash with us and drink that mainly but would be nice to get a cold drink. I know the ice cream vans sell cold drink but most of them again are warm 

you would think that but the bottles are stored in a fridge truck and they are brought in chilled - the trick into working out if its still chilled is look at all the tables and you should spot some and if they look frosted over - they are the cold ones - its very common for a customer to ask for a cold lemonade although I did run into a person who made a complaint that it was too cold !!!

• 3 weeks later...

The cocktail van on the left side of the Salsa tent did a great Bloody Mary - it was a great pick me up after trudging through the mud.

The best real ale is a hand pull inside the Masons Arms which is situated behind the stone carving tent in the craft fields area (think it was only £3.50 a pint), it's got cool music and sofas to chill out with too.

9 hours ago, pingap said:

The cocktail van on the left side of the Salsa tent did a great Bloody Mary - it was a great pick me up after trudging through the mud.

The best real ale is a hand pull inside the Masons Arms which is situated behind the stone carving tent in the craft fields area (think it was only £3.50 a pint), it's got cool music and sofas to chill out with too.

Is The Masons Arms a back-stage staff-only bar ?

On 5/24/2017 at 0:02 PM, Fred Zepplin said:

Most food places will have the 500ml bottled soft drinks available for £1-2. Pretty easy to find. Not being a big drinker I get through quite a few :)

If I see a copy of this list though, that may change! I've already seen Grimbergen, real ales, and Guinness mentioned - I'll be chasing a few of those :)

They tend to have Bath ales on - typically renamed as pyramid ale, other ale, West Holts bitter, that sort of thing - they're pretty well kept and quite palatable, but generally not all that exciting. They kick the crap out of a rubbishy pint of tuborg, mind. 

6 hours ago, Mattty said:

@guypjfreak how you getting on pal?

I'll let you know tomo.. I've got to go take the van to mot even tho its his fucking job but he says he can't drive it.. Only day before glasto I can get to lie in bed and I've got to be there for 9 even tho I don't know time of said mot.. 

Hopefully it'll be cool.. Cheers tho old son. G