Boy Better Know Other Headliner

ManchesterGlasto

6 minutes ago, your mother said:

George the poet is basically spoken word but with hip hop influences, not listened to his stuff in a few years but when I saw him 2 years ago he seemed to have taken more of a hip hop turn. 

Loyle Carner is hip hop. 

Grime is rapping on a faster beat (originally garage beats), typically 140bpm (as opposed to often roughly 90bpm)

Thank you - I am rather pleased that I can follow all that.

I like a bit of garage, so in theory should like Grime...... but I don't though I suppose I should listen to some more.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Think that's just Neil being a bit out of his element regarding grime and putting him there to be sure :P - I doubt Skepta will be performing by himself as well as with BBK.

Haha thought that may be the case. 

Although I am now terribly disillusioned to find even the almighty all-seeing efests creator isn't perfect! 

18 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I am all confused.

I like George the poet, I like Loyle Carner, I do not like Wiley or Stormzy and really do not like BBK.

I also have no idea what the difference between Grime and hip hop is. They sound the same to me.

What genre are GtP and Loyle Carner?

Hopefully you will all be able to enlighten me in my rather old age.

George the Poet is more a spoken word artist and Loyle Carner is British hip hop, very different to grime, grime was born out of East London and the UK Garage scene. It's pretty much the last truly British music genre.

Great booking tbh, even if I am cross The National aren't getting the golden Sunday Other headliner slot. We all like to neg on Glastonbury for not taking risks with the Pyramid headliners, but they do get quite creative with the undercard and it's worth pointing it out.

I'm probably not going to be there. I did enjoy Skepta a lot last year, and I'd probably go along if it was a Pyramid sub, but I like finishing the night at West Holts, and there's a high chance of Justice there. Don't know much about Grime, but it's a live genre really isn't it? I mostly listen to music in album format, I'm not going to sit there for 40 minutes with my headphones on listening to those same fast beats and flow. Grime doesn't do albums and production in the same way that other hip-hop does, so I don't listen to a lot of it.

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I like a bit of garage, so in theory should like Grime...... but I don't though I suppose I should listen to some more.

No worries, just to add grime doesn't need rapping over to be grime, e.g.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Think that's just Neil being a bit out of his element regarding grime and putting him there to be sure :P - I doubt Skepta will be performing by himself as well as with BBK.

I think the piece by Emily of Stormzy, Skepta and BBK pretty much confirms Stormzy will be will be on Other too.

22 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

JME's album, Integrity>, is really good and probably one the most accessible grime albums if you've not heard it

Edited by Chawk

4 hours ago, OffshoreToon said:

D Double E isn't in BBK.

Anyway, they'll be really good and they'll attract a big crowd. The kids are mad for it at the moment.

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Although I believe they're currently more mad for Ed Sheeran so that may poach a fair few would-be BBK people away.

I caught the beginning of Skepta last year, as my friend wanted to see him. I hated it and left pretty swiftly, but he was over the moon about it and the crowd were going insane, which took me by surprise as I'm so uncool these days I'd never even heard of him before. However, if my choice was BBK or the Sheeranator....I'd take the former 100 times over.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

http://www.nme.com/news/music/emily-eavis-grime-feels-like-new-punk-other-stage-headliner-2033748
"“Stormzy, Skepta, Boy Better Know – it’s going to be great for grime,” Eavis told NME. " It does sound like Skepta by himself, which I didn't expect after such a prominent placing last year 

Just now, The life of Pablo said:

http://www.nme.com/news/music/emily-eavis-grime-feels-like-new-punk-other-stage-headliner-2033748
"“Stormzy, Skepta, Boy Better Know – it’s going to be great for grime,” Eavis told NME. " It does sound like Skepta by himself, which I didn't expect after such a prominent placing last year 

Ah maybe you're right - my apologies Neil :P can't imagine where he'll be solo though after receiving such a prominent slot last year - doesn't really seem to be any room for him tbh, so I'm sure it's probably a goof on Emily's part.

Just now, K2SO said:

I reckon Sunday is best bet. You'd have to think that Stormzy is gonna make an appearance with Ed the ginger sex icon, so I'd assume that the grime day may correspond with that.

But Skepta ain't gonna play solo directly before he plays with Boy Better Know playing many of the same songs.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

But Skepta ain't gonna play solo directly before he plays with Boy Better Know playing many of the same songs.

Good point. I only went off the OP, and hadn't read other bits of the thread.

I'm gonna be a bit pissed if he is put up against Foos, as they are the only confirmed headliner I wanna watch. Would be a bit of a kick in the teeth to have them clash!

4 hours ago, Divein said:

Im not going to bother responding because I don't be think you've actually listened to any good grime records. Just maybe heard one song one day or seen a video on YouTube and then just stereotyped from there.

Thanks for not responding.

I've heard enough to form an opinion that I think it's rubbish. And pardon me for having different tastes and opinion on a public message board.

24 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I like Boy Better Know and their solo stuff on record but I've heard nothing but bad things about them live. Hoping for Justice on the Sunday night somewhere now.

West Holts seems in with a chance.

I dunno though, Justice vs. Metronomy vs. Boy Better Know vs. Ed Sheeran seems notsagood for the people at Glastonbury that gave up on music at some point during the 20th century. Park excluded because it doesn't go on late enough. Feel like a more seasoned act will be heading up WH; maybe the twat in the hat is gonna make an appearance after all.

(Not Badly Drawn Boy)

Just now, dentalplan said:

West Holts seems in with a chance.

I dunno though, Justice vs. Metronomy vs. Boy Better Know vs. Ed Sheeran seems notsagood for the people at Glastonbury that gave up on music at some point during the 20th century. Park excluded because it doesn't go on late enough. Feel like a more seasoned act will be heading up WH; maybe the twat in the hat is gonna make an appearance after all.

(Not Badly Drawn Boy)

Has The Jacksons night been locked in at all? Suppose they could headline West Holts. I like Metronomy and BBK but they just seem a bit underwhelming as festival closers personally. Sasha and Digweed on the Glade would be nice come to think of it..

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I dunno though, Justice vs. Metronomy vs. Boy Better Know vs. Ed Sheeran seems notsagood for the people at Glastonbury that gave up on music at some point during the 20th century

Acoustic tho pal. And really should a contemporary music festival be all that worried about people who don't listen to contemporary music?

2 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Has The Jacksons night been locked in at all? Suppose they could headline West Holts. I like Metronomy and BBK but they just seem a bit underwhelming as festival closers personally. Sasha and Digweed on the Glade would be nice come to think of it..

Saturday for definite. Same with Sasha and Digweed apparently. :wacko:

Don't they usually have a hip hop legend close out a stage in Silver Hayes? Been Grandmaster Flash and DJ Premier last couple of years, IIRC.

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Acoustic tho pal. And really should a contemporary music festival be all that worried about people who don't listen to contemporary music?

If they didn't they'd be fucked. But I might be generalising a bit too much there, I think reasonable people are stuck in that scenario too.