Worst act you have seen at the festival

FuzzyDunlop

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Warbler said:

I don't know why I mad this baffling decision, but for me Rudimental in 2015 were very below par, 100% regret not seeing Hot Chip. I was naive 

Whereas I, very bizarrely considering my usual musical tastes, thoroughly enjoyed Rudimental. Funny old world innit

4 hours ago, Charm said:

Haven't seen any bad sets at the festival but my worst set experience has to be while sitting on a bench in the rain watching Anoushka Shankar, a very drunk lady then decided to sit next to me and constantly poke me in the head and face with her umbrella, she annoyingly kept apologising for doing it then proceeded poke me again, I was too tired to move and too festival chilled to have a go at her so I just put up with it until the set finished. 
Charm x

Even getting rained on and someone poking me in the head with an umbrella couldn't stop me enjoying Anoushka Shankar. Swoon. 

Funny reading some of these.... A good few of them if you watch the video... they seemed like pretty decent sets.

I think drugs, alcohol, mudiness, wetness, tiredness has a lot to answer for haha! If someone is on a downer or just fucked/knackered.

There has been a few perfectly good sets I have hated... and its been down to being fucked, sore feet, tired or twisted :)

Ask yourselves what was your state of mind and condition at the time of these sets? :D

My first thought was Kanye, but then I remembered the horror that was Paolo Nutini in 2007 - I chanced upon him in the pouring rain just as he launched into 'I wanna be like you' from the Jungle Book and proceeded to lurch around the stage in a faux-monkey style.

I felt embarrassed for the poor lad.

1 hour ago, Perks said:

I've remembered another, vampire weekend (2010), pyramid. After snoop. They bombed from we saw, but we didn't hang around.

one of my fondest glasto memories, watching them in the blazing sun with the a couple of cold ciders in hand.

TBF though following snoop was a toughie.

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

Funny reading some of these.... A good few of them if you watch the video... they seemed like pretty decent sets.

I think drugs, alcohol, mudiness, wetness, tiredness has a lot to answer for haha! If someone is on a downer or just fucked/knackered.

There has been a few perfectly good sets I have hated... and its been down to being fucked, sore feet, tired or twisted :)

Ask yourselves what was your state of mind and condition at the time of these sets? :D

I think Paul Simon is the best example of this.  The Beeb highlights features a fairly stunning rendition of Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes, but that doesn't capture how knackered he was on the day and he hits most of the notes on that song, but his voice cut right out on others.  Not that I was there, but by all accounts the atmosphere was far from electric that day.  Something about videos just doesn't capture how people feel in the field.

2 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

one of my fondest glasto memories, watching them in the blazing sun with the a couple of cold ciders in hand.

I was just going to post this.... the guy who said Vampire Weekend bombed in 2010....

Seemed ok to be for a blazing sunny daytime set :) Peoples moods or state of mind at the time do not help. Has the reverse effect too... could be a shit set but your so off your face or pissed you had a blast anyway and thought it was great :D

A few for me. Saw Haim a few years ago and just thought it was incredibly dull.

Gorillaz headline set was not great and we left after about 4 songs.

Really unpopular choice alert! Radioheads special guest performance in 2011 on the park stage (although spoke to some people who loved it). I'm only a casual fan so I barely knew any of the songs they played, it chucked it down and most of the people sitting on the hill cleared off, it just didn't make for a good set.

Worst for me, although it was eventful was the streets set in the JP in 2011. I wasn't a fan and me mates dragged me along saying they would be great live but Skinner was off his face and I felt the band seemed to be falling apart.

15 minutes ago, Glastocat said:

Worst for me, although it was eventful was the streets set in the JP in 2011. I wasn't a fan and me mates dragged me along saying they would be great live but Skinner was off his face and I felt the band seemed to be falling apart.

Yeah we were really disappointed by that too. Should've seen Beyoncé.

18 hours ago, johnomatic said:

Interesting with people saying theirs is Kanye - mine would be Pharrell Williams just before, which me and a couple of mates waited through thinking he might be okay, and I just thought he was absolute balls. 

Obviously it was very divisive, but I ended up really enjoying Kanye's set. Whether I would stand through another 75 minutes of Pharrell singing mostly other people's songs to see him again is debatable. 

This x 10000

50 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Couldn't agree more, totally loved it. Vampire weekend were created to play in that kind of weather.

I love Oasis, and thought it was brilliant at the time - I was w**k**ed. However, listening back to their 2004 set is torture. Everything way too slow, painful singing, no banter. Dreadful.

Goes to show what a difference it can make 'being there'. (Or being smashed anyway).

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

That said, I left the Dead Weather in the Park in 2009 (I think) due to being bored and them sounding shit. Not a tune to be heard anywhere. Loud noisy shite. 

yes that was dire. i was either hungover or had had a heavy start that day and lost interest in them after about 20 mins and tried to move back to the hill for a laydown but that racket was just awful, worst thing possible to rest to.

skipped him next year when he was on pyramid and I rarely would skip anything Jack White-related

5 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

yes that was dire. i was either hungover or had had a heavy start that day and lost interest in them after about 20 mins and tried to move back to the hill for a laydown but that racket was just awful, worst thing possible to rest to.

skipped him next year when he was on pyramid and I rarely would skip anything Jack White-related

On the plus side I bumped into Gaz and Danny from Supergrass (Who had played as The Hot Rats that day) as I was leaving. 

9 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

I love Oasis,However, listening back to their 2004 set is torture. Everything way too slow, painful singing, no banter. Dreadful.

i was one of the many who got caught up in the hype mid-90's, loved the first 2 records, played their '95 Glasto set on a tape i made from listening it on radio for years and years and thought going into the '04 set that it was going to be their true comeback... i was in denial for a few years after how average it was (look even now, i can't admit it was awful) felt as if for a few years i was telling people it was a 0-0 draw when in fact we lost 3 or 4-nil.

I'm very surprised nobody has mention Ke$ha in 2011. It was my first ever Glastonbury and she was the secret act that performed on the Thursday night, from memory. It was just awful. Seem to remember it sounding autotuned but still terrible.. plus she kept shouting "ARE YOU READY TO FUCKING PARTY?" and I absolutely was not. Not with her anyway.

Definitely Radiohead's secret gig at The Park. The masses needed a hit filled set to lift the soggy spirits during the endless drizzle. We got the new album and one familiar. Such a bellend move.

Thank God for Jarvis Cocker. He showed us how it should be done the following day.

Mine would probably be Gorillaz or Jack White. I've been lucky enough to enjoy most of the Glastonbury sets I've seen, though. Lana Del Rey was down there but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I could have sat on the ground.. it was so.. slow?

Seen Kate Nash 2010 bandied about a bit.. not necessarily defending the performance but I think she was in a bit of a period of change and thought she had to be a bit batshit to go along with the new material. I think she was probably well high too. But her 2013 return in a tent (Leftfield?) was RAMMO, couldn't even see in, and she seemed to have calmed a lot, I'd welcome a return for her