Worst act you have seen at the festival

FuzzyDunlop

2 hours ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

Obviously very subjective but I'd say Lilly Allen, sat through that in 2009 as The Specials were on next I think. 

Then again in 2014, headed to Pyramid for Elbow but due to the storm closing the stage for a bit everything was running about 40mins late so I sat through it again. Couldn't believe I'd managed to find myself there again watching the very act I'd wanted to avoid both times she appeared. That's my bloody luck. Utter shite. 

Similarly-ish, due to that storm somehow delaying the Other way more than the Pyramid I saw all of Interpol whilst waiting for my boy Paolo Nutini.. apart from Slow Hands I'd never knowingly heard a single song of theirs, they didn't bother with much crowd interaction, and I was still drenched from the heavens caving in, so that was a long old hour. Thankfully Paolo was worth the wait or I'd probably still be regretting missing Tune-yards and Chvrches to this day.

Edited by Zac Quinn

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Because she was good. And because I saw Shakin' Stevens.

#wrongStevens, Yoko was mega tho. 2014 was a weird year like that, the stuff that was good was brilliant, but there was loads I saw that didn't enjoy; The 1975, Elbow, Haim, Blondie, Ellie Goulding, Clean Bandit, all pretty crap. Then Jack White, Polica and Warpaint, who have all been in the upper echelons of excellent the other times I saw them, were all having off days (tbh Polica and Warpaint really weren't to blame for theirs). Even Dexys Midnight Runners, who I had a great time watching, were pretty fucking weird and I couldn't work out what was going on, I was just pissed and so was everybody else there. But then Metronomy, the ballet on the Pyramid, Rev Peyton, St Vincent, Yoko, Dolly, Pixies, Massive Attack and Arcade Fire were all incredible. No middle ground in 2014.

Yeah I love them but The 1975 on the Pyramid in 2014 was pretty w*nk. Triple-whammy of Matty having gotten pissed to overcome nerves, playing to a ginormous pre-Dolly crowd who'd never heard of them, and their sound mix being a lot tamer than they normally have it.

13 minutes ago, Tables innit said:

Think that would require a lot of people on this forum to have actually gone to see Kanye West. I suspect there were not many. 

there were plenty of us there, he was just not as bad as it's made out to be. Very enjoyable, even, apart from the 20 minutes or so when he lost the crowd with the Justin Vernon stuff, and even that was cool if you knew who Bon Iver were/are.

Edited by Zac Quinn

4 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah I love them but The 1975 on the Pyramid in 2014 was pretty w*nk. Triple-whammy of Matty having gotten pissed to overcome nerves, playing to a ginormous crowd who'd never heard of them, and their sound mix being a lot tamer than they normally have it.

there were plenty of us there, he was just not as bad as it's made out to be. Very enjoyable, even, apart from the 20 minutes or so when he lost the crowd with the Justin Vernon stuff, and even that was cool as long as you knew who Bon Iver were/are.

I think you are probably wrong

6 minutes ago, Tables innit said:

Think that would require a lot of people on this forum to have actually gone to see Kanye West. I suspect there were not many. 

Nah loads did, and lots of us liked him. It gets remembered as far worse than it was, the blips were big blips, he clearly got in a strop about how it was going, and a lot of the crowd went along ready to watch him die on his arse and willed it to happen. But there were large sections of it where it went off like nobody's business, few Pyramid headliners can achieve the atmosphere he did when he was rolling out the hits, and there was a fucking truckload of hits. His Bohemian Rhapsody trolling was a thing of beauty, and the Lonsdale-baiting "greatest living rock star" was genius as well.

5 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah The 1975 on the Pyramid were pretty w*nk, playing to the ginormous crowd waiting for Dolly proved more of a curse than a blessing and their sound mix wasn't as in-your-face as they normally have it.

Nah bruv, The 1975 on Williams Green. Shit tunes played by nobheads when I was expecting Metronomy.

9 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Nah bruv, The 1975 on Williams Green. Shit tunes played by nobheads when I was expecting Metronomy.

oh I'd forgotten that set even happened. The whole bottle-throwing thing and Matty's strop about it, gross. Weird that by a distance the worst two times I've seen them came at the same festival, they must've had a fight on the train up or something.

Actually that reminds me, Drenge fell on their arse playing that same slot to a crowd waiting for Wolf Alice a year later, although it was partially down to the piss-awful acoustics in WG that hour was probably the least enjoyable Glastonbury set I've seen by an act I'd actually listened to before they came on stage.

Edited by Zac Quinn

Outside Glastonbury biggest disappointment was Lenny Kravitz at V 08, along with forum favourites Radiohead Leeds 09 and The National at Leeds not sure of the year

At Glastonbury it was Primal Scream before Stones as he just spat his dummy out and crashed n burned which was a shame but not surprising due to crowd

12 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

go check the thread from the time, probably 60/40 in favour on here :)

12 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Nah loads did, and lots of us liked him. It gets remembered as far worse than it was, the blips were big blips, he clearly got in a strop about how it was going, and a lot of the crowd went along ready to watch him die on his arse and willed it to happen. But there were large sections of it where it went off like nobody's business, few Pyramid headliners can achieve the atmosphere he did when he was rolling out the hits, and there was a fucking truckload of hits. His Bohemian Rhapsody trolling was a thing of beauty, and the Lonsdale-baiting "greatest living rock star" was genius as well.

fortunately you are both wrong

Speaking of Kanye right, why is it when Kanye has to restart songs for a nonentity "comedian" trying to get his mug on the telly/technical issues/Mike not doing it like they talked about in the dressing room, the reaction is "He is worse than Hitler if Hitler had the temerity to declare himself the greatest living rock star without meeting my strict white suburban criteria on what constitutes a rock star and if his wife had a sex tape". Yet Adele has to restart a song because she bladdy went an sang the openin bladdy bars of me old man's a dustman in the wrong key, and the reaction is "omg I can't even! Adele is my spirit animal/everything/giving me life!"

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Speaking of Kanye right, why is it when Kanye has to restart songs for a nonentity "comedian" trying to get his mug on the telly/technical issues/Mike not doing it like they talked about in the dressing room, the reaction is "He is worse than Hitler if Hitler had the temerity to declare himself the greatest living rock star without meeting my strict white suburban criteria on what constitutes a rock star and if his wife had a sex tape". Yet Adele has to restart a song because she bladdy went an sang the openin bladdy bars of me old man's a dustman in the wrong key, and the reaction is "omg I can't even! Adele is my spirit animal/everything/giving me life!"

because white people :(

From mooching about on the sunday, talking to people camped around us who saw him, Kanye's crowd reaction at the time was very marmite. A few said it was "amazing" - few others thought it was "fucking shit".

I was in the Sonic watching Leftfield. That was very good. Certainly not in my worst performance list.

45 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

I was expecting Kanye West to dominate this thread. It gets my vote, anyhow.

I thought that was one of the best act I've seen at the festival actually. When that rigged thing went down and he started with Stronger everyone lost their mind (it looked like the entire field was shaking on tv as well). It was completely different, brave, immense, the stage aesthetics was very minimalist, for once a pyramid headline set that challenges the audience - it stayed true to who he is, and I love that he did not try to be anything he's not just to appease anyone.

Sure there were a few cock ups - but that didn't bother me, in fact when he had to do Black Skinhead for the second time it kind of added something to it. The crowd around where I was really into it, only not so much when he tried to do his "better songs" (Runaway, Lost in The World)

But hey, that's just my opinion, and I could totally see how those who were fence about him, won't change their mind based on that set. 

Springsteen (the Dross) Popped along and thought it would be decent. But no!  it was dreadful, didn't hang around minds you. Went for a walk, much better time. one of my pals was right at the front though and loved it.

Jack Johnson 2010. Thought he was so so bad. Went to get a good spec at the front for Faithless, couldn't hack it, choose to walk to the toilet instead! Hang about there till he shut up, got in to the front after. Danced like a loon to faithless. Was aces.

Dolly Parton. I weren't up for it really, but all of me pals were going, so thought it'd be fun to hang out. Just didn't get it really.

Its mad of all the bands / acts I've seen over the years. There's only 3 I haven't really enjoyed. That's some pretty good going.

That Kate Nash 2010 set is the stuff of legend.  Honestly one of the best train wrecks I've ever attended.  It was my daughter's first festival and I was doing the good dad thing, attending stuff she liked and getting to see Kate Nash get ever more disheveled in the sun while berating the audience for not enjoying the new stuff was well worth it.  I particularly liked the way her lipstick smeared throughout the gig so that by the end she looked like she had a hitler tache.

I also got to see the drunken disaster that was Debbie Harry in '99, a real treat, which was followed later the same weekend with the sight of Keanu Reeves getting pelted with fruit on a mid afternoon Other stage set (pure comic genius, not least the amazing peach shot which hit the fretboard of his bass and was possibly the musical highlight of the set).

Even the bad gigs have something of value, even if it is only an entertaining memory of Damon Albarn waving his hands frantically at the crowd and yelling "for fuck's sake, come on!" 

2 hours ago, OG said:

Only time I have watched three bands in a row on the pyramid, vaccines, dizzied and arctics. One of my fondest memories I have of Glastonbury and I don't particularly like dizzie or vaccines. The crowd around us for dizzie were loving it

I had a hell of a lot of fun for Dizzee. The part of the crowd I was in was excellent.

Arctics were poor though.