Secret Sets

Wakey321

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me that article doesn't specifically suggest that acts will be playing secret sets on The Park Stage. I would expect it's more likely you will see quite a few secret sets in places such as: The Stonebridge Bar, The Rabbit Hole, The Crows Nest, etc.

15 minutes ago, Titters said:

Damon's Africa Express launched the Park in 2007, with half the line up getting involved:

Africa Express 2007

Based on nothing but this and the fact that Albarn remains close to the festival, I suggest either a return of Africa Express or possible Gorrillaz with their new stuff out. 

Gorillaz would be the more likely of the two.  Africa Express played the Pyramid last year, and I don't think they have anything else on the go at the minute.

10 minutes ago, grayfitz said:

This Arcade Fire fan account seems to think they may be a possibility..

They are just quoting what she said... and living in dream land. Think there's more chance of Prince playing unfortunately. 

i hate a secret set and always get the fear that somewhere, someone i admire greatly is playing to a crowd less deserving than i. the thought of a flurry of them this year is stressing me out.

and with already this much fanfare about the Park stuff, won't there be the same rush of traffic up there in any potential window that a big act could play as there was in 2011?  

down with secret sets imo

Edited by liamium

Genuine question, (not been to Glasto before) how do you hear about these secret sets when you're there?

In an ideal world I'd like to think it becomes a bit more widespread info than just having a fortunate bit of patter with someone in the long drops.

6 minutes ago, Richi1988 said:

Genuine question, (not been to Glasto before) how do you hear about these secret sets when you're there?

In an ideal world I'd like to think it becomes a bit more widespread info than just having a fortunate bit of patter with someone in the long drops.

From what I remember last year there was a twitter account (@secretglasto?) which would tweet out the sets shortly before.

My internet connection was non-existent all week so I barely caught any of them but that's what I remember people using.

12 minutes ago, ConorC said:

From what I remember last year there was a twitter account (@secretglasto?) which would tweet out the sets shortly before.

My internet connection was non-existent all week so I barely caught any of them but that's what I remember people using.

It is secretglasto. Most people use tweet to text and we do a couple of test tweets in the lead up to let people try and get that up and running. There's usually a delay between info and tweet so we don't cause health and safety issues. 

1 minute ago, Muppetmark said:

It is secretglasto. Most people use tweet to text and we do a couple of test tweets in the lead up to let people try and get that up and running. There's usually a delay between info and tweet so we don't cause health and safety issues. 

Ah ok. wasn't aware of the tweet to text thing last year. Will keep more of an eye on it this time.

How does the info actually come about? Do people on site find out the DM the twitter account?

1 minute ago, Muppetmark said:

Looks like secretglasto is likely to be a must have this year. If they do run several secret sets it can really really piss you off when you find out who you've missed. We've paid for the acts via tickets and then stand to miss someone you would like to see just by calling it a fricking secret set ...bollox

16 minutes ago, ConorC said:

Well that's me fucked then, I'm on an Isle of Man network so only wifi in England will do without running up a huge bill.

Looks like I'll have to hope for some idle patter in the long drops after all! ;)

27 minutes ago, Richi1988 said:

Well that's me fucked then, I'm on an Isle of Man network so only wifi in England will do without running up a huge bill.

Looks like I'll have to hope for some idle patter in the long drops after all! ;)

You could get yourself a cheap "burner" for the festival, I believe the "new" Nokia 3310 has Twitter functionality and costs about £40 with a battery that will last you all week? Last year I got to the Michael Kiwanuka set at the Crow's Nest by following @crowsnestcrew previous year I saw Gruff Rhys solo acoustic up there after being similarly alerted. I think you need to look at getting some Twitter into your festival experience. (If you want to catch these sets)

47 minutes ago, Richi1988 said:

Sign up to If This Then That (ITTT), you can get it to text you tweets from named accounts.  I don't use my data at Glastonbury, I don't even use a phone that could!

47 minutes ago, Richi1988 said:

You can set up tweets from a certain account to be texted to your phone. That's what I've done and it works great. 

5 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

You could get yourself a cheap "burner" for the festival, I believe the "new" Nokia 3310 has Twitter functionality and costs about £40 with a battery that will last you all week? Last year I got to the Michael Kiwanuka set at the Crow's Nest by following @crowsnestcrew previous year I saw Gruff Rhys solo acoustic up there after being similarly alerted. I think you need to look at getting some Twitter into your festival experience. (If you want to catch these sets)

@Crowsnestcrew was really annoying cos they kept retweeting things, which is absolutely fine but my phone was going off every 5 minutes.  I do like that @Secretglasto kept it to a minimum :)