Secret Sets

Wakey321

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, ConorC said:

Ah ok. wasn't aware of the tweet to text thing last year. Will keep more of an eye on it this time.

How does the info actually come about? Do people on site find out the DM the twitter account?

Yeah, pretty much.  Actually, most of the secret sets are posted on a thread on here days or weeks beforehand, but most of the followers don't read eFests regularly.  As a qualification to what Mark said, the H&S concerns are more for the big acts.  E.g. Fatboy Slim on at Stonebridge went out about the same time he took to the stage, but smaller acts would go out an hour or so before.  For those acts, it's more about making the texts relevant and retaining some sense of surprise, otherwise they might as well just be on the line-up.  Personally I'm well aware that broadcasting secret sets can take some of the magic out of them, so holding them back until there's just about enough time to get across site is part making making the sets still a bit special.

i'd say xx could do another set, likewise for the Foo Fighters I'm sure they did a secret set at V Festival a good few years back during the day when they were headlining on the night.

Green Day have done a secret set before at Reading Festival so cant rule them out however theyre only free Sunday

Damon Albarn is Mr Glastonbury, you'd imagine he'd jump at the chance and with Gorillaz too would make my weekend!

Purely speculation, and not really a secret set as it's something that happens every year now, but Williams Green on Thursday- I'm going with Blossoms and Circa Waves... Maybe Kurupt FM playing after them, until the venue closes for the night?

Some of the secret sets aren't that 'secret', you just need to know where to look. Crows Nest advertise all their sets on a chalkboard each morning. You just need to walk up to top of Park each morning to read it (or get their Twitter notiifications)

Williams Green on Thurs night always leaks out by Weds, BBC Introducing drop heavy hints for their sets. Otherwise it's look for the 'spoof names or alias on the line-up for the smaller tents.

What with the info somebody had on The xx being there I'd say they must be the most likely candidate if Emily is personally talking about secret sets happening there, although hard to get too excited about an act already on the bill. Will be ace for those who go to it but I doubt I'll be rushing there (fingers crossed we get an indication beforehand of who it definitely is).

9 hours ago, Richi1988 said:

Genuine question, (not been to Glasto before) how do you hear about these secret sets when you're there?

In an ideal world I'd like to think it becomes a bit more widespread info than just having a fortunate bit of patter with someone in the long drops.

When Radiohead and Pulp  played it was in the Sun and everyone knew by 9 am Friday morning. By 11 you couldn't get near the park and the mud was hell, so you had to make a decision - spend the day in the mud waiting for one band and forsake all others or miss the "secret" set. Ban the secret set i say - just creates bad feeling. And this opinion has nothing to do with the fact missed Radiohead. Nothing at all.

7 hours ago, PetePie said:

My lad Just heard on radio x that gorillaz are rumoured to be playing secret gig on park stage , new album coming out gotta be a good call I reackon 

They've probably just read that on here and put it out there a la Somerset Live.

The article did just talk about secret sets, and nothing specifically about them being at the Park. I think it's pretty unlikely there will be one up there because of the concerns raised after Pulp/Radiohead (MDC raised the issue in their report and noted the number of people going arse over tit on the hill). That almost certainly rules out a big band up there. Smaller ones too really, as people usually figure out there's something going on and head up there anyway - even when there's nothing happening at all.

13 minutes ago, glastobuds said:

When Radiohead and Pulp  played it was in the Sun and everyone knew by 9 am Friday morning. By 11 you couldn't get near the park and the mud was hell, so you had to make a decision - spend the day in the mud waiting for one band and forsake all others or miss the "secret" set. Ban the secret set i say - just creates bad feeling. And this opinion has nothing to do with the fact missed Radiohead. Nothing at all.

Well that's just nonsense. We strolled up shortly before both Radiohead and Pulp's sets and saw both.

3 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

Well that's just nonsense. We strolled up shortly before both Radiohead and Pulp's sets and saw both.

Yeah we sat up on the hill to see Radiohead, it wasn't that busy, but I did hear Pulp was ridiculous.  I think if you entered the Park at the top, through the camping fields you might have been ok, but they were stopping people going in at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, verrymerry said:

Yeah we sat up on the hill to see Radiohead, it wasn't that busy, but I did hear Pulp was ridiculous.  I think if you entered the Park at the top, through the camping fields you might have been ok, but they were stopping people going in at the bottom.

That was my memory of Pulp as well. They had stewards on the paths on the way up there telling people it was full and not to bother. You could still get in though.

5 minutes ago, verrymerry said:

You've just got to be stubborn!  

I always take the 'it's full' line with a pinch of salt. Just like when they tell you some of the camping fields are full. You've just got to go and see for yourself!