BBC agree new six-year broadcast deal

Drinky

From the press release here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/bbc-music-six-year-partnership-glastonbury

BBC Music today announces a historic deal to bring the glory of Glastonbury to BBC audiences for the next five festivals.

The world’s most famous music festival will be broadcast on the BBC until 2022, including the festival’s 50th anniversary year in 2020, and 2022, the BBC’s 100th anniversary year. There will be a fallow year in 2018.

Bob Shennan, BBC Director of Radio and Music, says: “This partnership confirms our ongoing commitment to placing music centre stage on the BBC, and presenting our programmes to a global audience via radio, online, television and BBC Red Button. As Glastonbury is one of the world’s leading musical celebrations, I’m delighted that the BBC will be its broadcast home until 2022, the BBC’s 100th anniversary year, bringing the magical joy of Worthy Farm to everyone, whether at home or on the move.”

Emily Eavis says: “We have worked closely with a fantastic team at the BBC since 1997, it has become an integral part of what we do at Glastonbury. Together we have created something really special - two decades of historic live broadcast from many of the biggest names in contemporary music. We are all very excited to look ahead to another five Glastonburys alongside the much treasured BBC.”

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Combined with the neighbours deals, it looks as if Michael has secured the future of the festival beyond his substantial involvement in it.  The man's 81 now!

To be fair to him, on the NME interview he sounds now like negotiating a band would be a problem for him personally as his speech isn't smooth anymore.

Just now, thewayiam said:

To be fair to him, on the NME interview he sounds now like negotiating a band would be a problem for him personally as his speech isn't smooth anymore.

Yeah, I may be overstating his involvement in the latest deals.  

Looking at old footage, you can hear that he did have a stutter of sorts decades ago, but it seems to have steadily increased over the years. He was much more fluent in the 90s interviews and is very smooth indeed on that old black and white interview:

Six year deal with 5 Glastonbury festivals after the 2018 fallow year.

So either there is no Variety Bazaar event prior to the following fallow year 2024, or they make very quick progress and hold the first event in 2018, or they run it in the same years as Glastonbury, or they quit on the idea now that they've reached agreement with neighbour?

There still seems to be merit in keeping the festival team active during the fallow years...just interested if any of you have a feel for which of the above is looking most likely

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, I may be overstating his involvement in the latest deals.  

Looking at old footage, you can hear that he did have a stutter of sorts decades ago, but it seems to have steadily increased over the years. He was much more fluent in the 90s interviews and is very smooth indeed on that old black and white interview:

I'd be surprised if he did little more than tell. Emily who he wanted as a headliner now and it's then negotiated from outside of him.

5 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

Good news for the festival and its future. Apart from the traffic on the Wed and Mon I don't think there are many other problems now, aside from how many people want to go, hence the Variety Bazaar idea. Would be great to have two independent but like minded festivals like Glasto

Glastonbury don't have it all their own way, you can see that with the parking fee's and tbf £30 from everyone with a car/camper whatever is going to cover the cost of the other land owners I'd imagine comfortable, it's just greed now.

3 minutes ago, not worthy said:

Six year deal with 5 Glastonbury festivals after the 2018 fallow year.

So either there is no Variety Bazaar event prior to the following fallow year 2024, or they make very quick progress and hold the first event in 2018, or they run it in the same years as Glastonbury, or they quit on the idea now that they've reached agreement with neighbour?

There still seems to be merit in keeping the festival team active during the fallow years...just interested if any of you have a feel for which of the above is looking most likely

The Variety is in 2021, they have most likely got a deal that covers Glastonbury until 2024 and the 1st year of Variety 3 years prior. They won't have needed to sort out necessarily out one 4/5 year after that yet.

I'd be surprised if he did little more than tell. Emily who he wanted as a headliner now and it's then negotiated from outside of him.

With regards to the bands, it's Emily's husband Nick who does most of the booking these days.  I believe Michael's been more involved with more long term projects - neighbours, BBC, site infrastructure.

I'm sure he interferes occasionally, but I've not had the impression he has had much to do with booking bands for a while now.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

With regards to the bands, it's Emily's husband Nick who does most of the booking these days.  I believe Michael's been more involved with more long term projects - neighbours, BBC, site infrastructure.

I'm sure he interferes occasionally, but I've not had the impression he has had much to do with booking bands for a while now.

Most likely not and tbh I can't see those talks going well with his voice now. Him doing that side means his hardest part his securing neighbours etc and Emily helps with that most likely.

Most likely not and tbh I can't see those talks going well with his voice now. Him doing that side means his hardest part his securing neighbours etc and Emily helps with that most likely.

Point taken, although negotiations aren't all about being in a room and talking, he'll certainly have had a hand in setting negotiating positions and decided how and when to compromise.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

The Variety is in 2021, they have most likely got a deal that covers Glastonbury until 2024 and the 1st year of Variety 3 years prior. They won't have needed to sort out necessarily out one 4/5 year after that yet.

Wow, so is 2021 a fallow year or running both? That's only two festivals between fallow years if not running both.....doubt any of us can see that happening

Just now, not worthy said:

Wow, so is 2021 a fallow year or running both? That's only two festivals between fallow years if not running both.....doubt any of us can see that happening

I think Glastonbury runs 2019, 20, 22, 23, 24.

Variety, 2021 and 2025 was my guess. Maybe they will run together, I wonder if Variety is in place to run the same year to recover some of what they may lose at Worthy.

Variety, 2021 and 2025 was my guess. Maybe they will run together, I wonder if Variety is in place to run the same year to recover some of what they may lose at Worthy.

yep seems to make sense to run together on 2021, just too soon to have fallow years so close otherwise.

What do you mean by run the same year to recover some of what they may lose at Worthy?

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Point taken, although negotiations aren't all about being in a room and talking, he'll certainly have had a hand in setting negotiating positions and decided how and when to compromise.

Yeah exactly. If you watch some of the documentaries with some of the travellers in the early years he seems to be a hard bargainer, esp when it comes to money. I can't imagine he's a pushover and I reckon he has a good relationship with them too

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

That's pretty much my understanding of the current plan, although who knows if there will be a second VB?

There's no way they're going to be doing VB and Worthy simultaneously in 2021.