Friday other stage opener

thesaint78

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, sisco said:

Manic Street Preachers, Liam Gallagher, Richard Ashcroft, The Kooks, Elbow

Not Elbow, I think the rest will be there in slots somehow though. I'll do my usual scroll down the page slowly which adds a bit of excitement to what is there.

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

No need for the stage times up on the big screens, just "if you tolerate this, then Blossoms will be next".

Hehe Pyramid ;P

13 minutes ago, sisco said:

Manic Street Preachers, Liam Gallagher, Richard Ashcroft, The Kooks, Elbow

Elbow's my thought at the mo, with them releasing a new album and Guy gesturing towards a slot. I know it looks like MSP are playing but Elbow couldn't really fit into a normal slot as it stands, whereas Manics could jump right into a mid-Other slot.

6 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Scrooge moment: what's the point of this slot? 

Why the need for a 'surprise'; surely better to give the slot to an up-and-comer perhaps?

I think the surprise was to give that air of something special where it won't cause people to be crammed into a small area and it'll get people up and seeing bands. It's a decent idea in principle but with the bands they've booked for this slot being so one-tone that it's practically a derided slot no longer causing much excitement to speculate; I could see them sweeping it into the bin and it just being a small band like the Saturday or Sunday Other openers once again in a couple of years time.

Manics seems a good shout. Bit surprised as I wouldn't call them "feelgood" (even as a Manics fan), though older material will definitely blow the cobwebs out.

Hmmm, thirteen-song set?

1 Walk Me to the Bridge
2 Motorcycle Emptiness
3 If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
4 Show Me the Wonder
5 (It's Not War) Just the End of Love
6 Australia
7 Ocean Spray
8 You Stole the Sun From My Heart
9 Your Love Alone Is Not Enough
10 Everything Must Go
11 You Love Us
12 A Design for Life
13 Motown Junk

They don't really favour The Masses Against the Classes, even at marquee shows, so I don't see it figuring. But that'd be half-decent.

20 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Manics seems a good shout. Bit surprised as I wouldn't call them "feelgood" (even as a Manics fan), though older material will definitely blow the cobwebs out.

Hmmm, thirteen-song set?

1 Walk Me to the Bridge
2 Motorcycle Emptiness
4 Show Me the Wonder
6 Australia
7 Ocean Spray
10 Everything Must Go
11 You Love Us
12 A Design for Life
13 Motown Junk

They don't really favour The Masses Against the Classes, even at marquee shows, so I don't see it figuring. But that'd be half-decent.

Maybe something like this (they'll finish wth ADFL and hardly ever play Australia). They did roll  Masses Against The Classes last year on the festival circuit so you never know.

1 Motorcycle Emptiness
2 Walk Me to the Bridge
4 Show Me the Wonder
6 Masses Against The Classes
7 Tsunami
10 Kevin Carter
11 You Love Us
12 Motown Junk
13 A Design for Life

25 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Elbow's my thought at the mo, with them releasing a new album and Guy gesturing towards a slot. I know it looks like MSP are playing but Elbow couldn't really fit into a normal slot as it stands, whereas Manics could jump right into a mid-Other slot.

Wouldn't the idea be that it's a greatest hits set rather than a set half full with new music?

5 minutes ago, MikeEssex85 said:

I wish 'The Hives' would come back and do this slot - Probably the best official opening to a festival I have been at - If only someone would get him that fucking ladder!

They were 2nd up not opener but agree that was a fantastic set

7 minutes ago, briddj said:

Maybe something like this (they'll finish wth ADFL and hardly ever play Australia). They did roll  Masses Against The Classes last year on the festival circuit so you never know.

1 Motorcycle Emptiness
2 Walk Me to the Bridge
4 Show Me the Wonder
6 Masses Against The Classes
7 Tsunami
10 Kevin Carter
11 You Love Us
12 Motown Junk
13 A Design for Life

32 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Hmmm, thirteen-song set?

1 Walk Me to the Bridge
2 Motorcycle Emptiness
4 Show Me the Wonder
6 Australia
7 Ocean Spray
10 Everything Must Go
11 You Love Us
12 A Design for Life
13 Motown Junk

Wot no Holy Bible?

I saw Manics at Blackheath a few years back, when the headline was `Elbow. Happy with either, but I think Elbow are strong possibilities as they cannot do Sat or Sun and there are other options for sub and other, if they are not in this slot then cannot see where they play and I have a feeling they will do something at Glastonbury this year.

8 minutes ago, MikeEssex85 said:

I wish 'The Hives' would come back and do this slot - Probably the best official opening to a festival I have been at - If only someone would get him that fucking ladder!

Yes to this.

they were amazing as always and probably my favourite set from that weekend.

"someone get me a ladder, I don't wanna split these pants"!