The Major Lazer Lads

CaledonianGonzo

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who don't understand subjectivity of music piss me off.

It's not shit. You just don't like it. So just say "I don't like it" or "it's not to my taste". Saying it's "shit" like it's a statement of fact is just fucking incorrect.

I absolutely hate that Iggy Izalea. Can't stand her. But I don't go up to people who like her and go "oh, she's shit. Her music is shit". I just say I don't like it/it hurts my ears/I can't stand it. I actually think to go up to someone and describe their favourite band or someone they like as shit is pretty offensive. 

Edited by Skoo

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Now I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm betting you were slightly more inebriated watching Skrillex than when you wathed that Lazer video. Maybe that is why you were shouting for "more more more."

I reckon you may not have enjoyed a you tube vid of him at 10:oo in the morning a few months beforehand. 

It's a fair point. Although I did, in the run up to that festival watch some videos of him appearing the year before. That Major Lazer stuff just strikes me as lazy, that clip I watched anyway. But you know, the field will be full, people will go mental to it. I reserve the right to feel superior. 

31 minutes ago, Skoo said:

It's not shit. You just don't like it. So just say "I don't like it" or "it's not to my taste". Saying it's "shit" like it's a statement of fact is just fucking incorrect.

I absolutely hate that Iggy Izalea. Can't stand her. But I don't go up to people who like her and go "oh, she's shit. Her music is shit". I just say I don't like it/it hurts my ears/I can't stand it. I actually think to go up to someone and describe their favourite band or someone they like as shit is pretty offensive. 

What's the difference between saying someone is shit and saying it hurts your ears? Its all about semantics non?

Which isn't to say I don't disagree with your point, I get a lot of grief for being quite vehemently opposed to some larger charting acts like Sheeren, and some of the newer hyped acts like Rag'nBone Man, both of whom I actively dislike, I would happily say I think they're shit, much in the same way that people constantly tell me how amazing they are - but if people get seriously offended by someone saying that a band they like are shit, well I think that's more the problem of the offendee in that situation.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Is there info on Ride's slot?

They liked a post about hoping they're a Park headliner, and given we know Saturday is Warpaint and think Sunday must be either Cinematic Orchestra or Laura Marling then that seems like a free one. But it's not for sure if you're worried about a clash... with the Major Lazer lads.

1 hour ago, Skoo said:

If you get offended by someone having a different opinion of a band or artist it seems to be like YOU don't understand the subjectivity of music. 

Me or anyone else saying, for example, that Major Lazer are the biggest pile of dog shit ever to sully our ears doesn't take away from you thinking they're the best thing ever. It doesn't make either of us right or wrong. 

Be proud of what you like, be vocal about what you don't. Don't get pissy and insecure when someone else doesn't like what you do. 

Edited by Rubber Soldier

39 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They liked a post about hoping they're a Park headliner, and given we know Saturday is Warpaint and think Sunday must be either Cinematic Orchestra or Laura Marling then that seems like a free one. But it's not for sure if you're worried about a clash... with the Major Lazer lads.

This sounds like it will def happen - based on the fact that I don't like the line up and have already predicted that the few things i just about want to see are bound to clash!

Ride are my fave band pretty much, but wanted to give Radiohead a whirl to see how it goes and I don't think I've seen a Pyramid since the Stones. I would have also considered giving Major Lazer a go with an open mind based on I've not seen them before and I like loud dance music a lot (especially at that time).

So get your money on all three for Friday night!

Thanks for the info!

35 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

If you get offended by someone having a different opinion of a band or artist it seems to be like YOU don't understand the subjectivity of music. 

Me or anyone else saying, for example, that Major Lazer are the biggest pile of dog shit ever to sully our ears doesn't take away from you thinking they're the best thing ever. It doesn't make either of us right or wrong. 

Be proud of what you like, be vocal about what you don't. Don't get pissy and insecure when someone else doesn't like what you do. 

Howard Johnson is right!

2 hours ago, Skoo said:

Normally I'd say you were right, but these really are shit of the highest order.

I'm sure we've discussed this before, but obviously everybody understands that when somebody says "this is shit" they're expressing that they found it not to their liking, rather than trying to present a scientific conclusion based on empirical data.

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I'm sure we've discussed this before, but obviously everybody understands that when somebody says "this is shit" they're expressing that they found it not to their liking, rather than trying to present a scientific conclusion based on empirical data.

Ha ha!

8 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Not when I'm discusing Catfish, I'm afraid - I've got peer reviewed results and a paper due to be published on it in Nature.