OnBlackheath 2017

Flaminglippy

On 24/04/2017 at 10:25 PM, DiscothequeDave said:

£49.50 per day. £90 for a weekend ticket.

A fair price really, but I think I'll wait.

We can all keep an eye out for those 2 for 1 nearer the time. Both Ticketmaster and Time Out were doing deals last year in the run up.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been on the Sunday last year (and really enjoyed it) I'm astonished that they've booked the Libertines for what is essentially a middle-class family festival.  Travis is a great booking for it.

I like the Libs, they were epic at Reading last time out, but I really think they've misjudged the demographic for the Sunday.

Hopefully they'll sort the massive queues for the loos this year - my total bete noir of festivals - I don't mind paying a considerable sum for a ticket or lots of drinks at the bar but FFS invest in enough khazis for people to piss in!  Ladies queues were especially long.  

• 3 months later...

OK ...less than a month to go and I've finally found an offer.

Go to Seetickets and put JLOFFER in the first ticket buying page (that's from John Lewis darling). This gives you 20% off. It seems to apply to all tickets, not just the weekend ones. So less than £40 for a day seem quite reasonable.

What are anyone's thoughts?

Don't go if you're hoping to catch the Libs, Pete's back on the drugs and they're absolutely awful live at the moment. Ask anyone who's seen them this Summer. I'd say go for Metronomy but they're wasted in that booking much like Hot Chip were last year.

EDIT: Oh, and it's a bit of a w*nk festival too.

Edited by Mash011

I'm definitely thinking Saturday .... a run of Steve Mason, De La Soul, Metronomy then Craig Charles would really appeal. Sunday less so (not seen The Libs since the good old days and was happy to keep it that way), so was hoping for a 2-for-1 deal.

I know it's a bit w*nky with a large buggy and blanket brigade, but the beer is decent and I can walk home!

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Fishman said:

Anyone found any decent offers yet? Still the best one I've seen is the 20% off with JLOFFER on See as I mentioned earlier.

Still undecided. Might be weather dependent!

Bloody hell .... this thread is quiet.

Is anyone going?

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:47 PM, Fishman said:

Bloody hell .... this thread is quiet.

Is anyone going?

I am, it's just down the road so it'd be rude not to!

Reckon the Saturday line up on the main stage is pretty good to be honest (although I'm not convinced about Travis headlining in 2017).

11 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Not criticising the organisers but let no one please pretend that a dj set from bj compares with a live performance from one of the greatest ever hip hop groups.

I don't think anyone is pretending that.

By the sounds of it the cancelation will have been very recent, and I'd guess with so little time the organisers only really had the option of getting who they could.

It's far from a bad fill-in, even if it's not a fully-equitable act.

Edited by eFestivals

I did say I wasn't criticising the organisers and appreciate they wouldn't have had much time. 

But it would be very tempting for them to play down the 'DJ' nature of the performance.  Hey, we got Basement Jaxx.

A live act and a DJ act for me - night and day in terms of interest in that performance. 

If they closed their eyes, 99% of the audience wouldn't be able to tell you who was on the decks. It might as well be Steve who works part time in the local Budgens on the decks. Just because they are a famous band it doesn't make their djing better than Steve's.

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I didn't realise they started out as DJs, I thought they went straight into making their own music, in which case I'm wrong and sorry.

They began life in the mid nineties running a club night under St Matthew's Church, Brixton, in the crypt. Hence, 'Basement' Jaxx (I think).

30 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Good knowledge Looked it up and seems the 'Basement' came from the location of the studio one of the guys had rather than playing in the crypt though.

Ah - looking things up ....

Not sure where I saw them first, but was definitely at The Astoria show in 1997.

From Wiki ....

At first, the name of the group they were thinking themselves was "Underground Oasis," however, the idea was scrapped due to a friend of them "who was involved in the music scene" noticing the existence of a similar named rock band that might "get big".

Basement Jaxx started in Brixton, South London, in 1994, where they held a regular club night called Basement Jaxx, which was also held in a variety of venues including The George IV, The Crypt and The Junction. They were joined by DJs including DJ Sneak, Daft Punk, and singer Corrina Joseph. They mutated the night into an equally popular club called Rooty, the namesake of their second album.

In 1995, "Samba Magic" was picked up for distribution by Virgin Records. In the same year, they moved their studio out of the basement to a place in Camberwell and started their writing there.

Their fourth extended play was named EP3 in an early example of their "trademark eccentricity."

In 1997, Basement Jaxx was the opening act for Daft Punk's Daftendirektour when Daft Punk first came to the UK. Thanks to the success of the single, they ended up signing a record deal with XL

Edited by Fishman
Tidying the cut and paste job