alt-J

Brumbot

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's definitely a weird one. Seems like the theme of some of this years most anticipated albums is "no coherence at all", like "Humanz" made me feel. I liked "3WW" and "In Cold Blood" a lot and "Adeline" is fine, too. They still manage to create a very unique athmosphere at parts of this album but if you listen to this in total you're left with thinking "What were they thinking?!". "House Of The Rising Sun" feels like an interlude to "Hit Me Like That Snare" which has to be a bad joke. "Deadcrush" and "Last Year" both don't get to the point and something is missing. Not sure what to make of "Pleader".
What I loved about the previous records was that they felt like a journey, wether it was the whole Nara theme or hearing the beginning of the first record for the first time. An experience I will never forget. Meticulously crafted worlds that pull you in and they pull it off again on "3WW", "In Cold Blood" and "Adeline" but the rest of the album feels really pointless.

I don't think it holds a light to the first two, but there's good in patches. 3WW and Adeline are great. I for one actually really enjoy the HOTRS cover. The second half of Last Year almost makes up for the first. Pleader is bizarre but weirdly enjoyable. The others are all a bit shit frankly.

So I am a little disappointed. The three singles are pretty good and I did enjoy the most of Pleader and the second half of Last Year. But Hit Me Like That Snare and Deadcrush both sound fucking terrible, like they were written as a joke to see who comes out and says they love it, so the band can laugh at them and think 'Seriously? Even we know it's shit!'.

you'd think with a return after 3 years they'd have done a little better than an 8 track album with a slow boring cover and awful flow between fun loud songs and dreary sad songs, the jump from 3ww to in cold blood to house of rising sun to snare is horrid

14 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

If anyone's feeling like hearing Alt-J at their absolute worst -

Seriously, what is this song supposed to be? Are they deliberately taking the piss or did they think this was an actually good song?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Left Hand Free dubbed a parody/bit of a in-joke?

Seem to be in the minority here, but I quite like it. Not exactly the album to get your blood pumping but it's a nice ambient late night album. Although Hit Me Like That Snare is an abomination and a waste of a track on a seemingly short enough as it is album.

1 minute ago, Johnkhutch said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Left Hand Free dubbed a parody/bit of a in-joke?

Seem to be in the minority here, but I quite like it. Not exactly the album to get your blood pumping but it's a nice ambient late night album. Although Hit Me Like That Snare is an abomination and a waste of a track on a seemingly short enough as it is album.

There was some humour to Left Hand Free, but it was still a decent track. This is just... like I feel as if they're taking the piss quite a lot on it but it's really not a joke that lands when they've put out an 8 track album and this is one of them and the rest of it (bar the wonderful singles) isn't up to much either.

I don't know why this is getting me so riled up. I guess I just really wanted this to be good.

Album's alright. All three singles are fantastic and I quite like their version of House of the Rising Sun but the rest is a bit lacklustre and it doesn't have any real flow to it. Might be one of those that takes a couple of listens.

I don't know to what extent I like alt-J. I usually convince myself that I don't, but then eventually a Spotify shuffle will drop something from An Awesome Wave or 3WW and I'll really enjoy it.

I'm yet see these guys live though so it's a shame they're on opposite Foos, would have liked to have tried them out. Will give the album a listen this weekend. 

Been listening to their new album this morning and not really that sure on it. The singles were probably the best picks, plus Lovely Day.

They're on my must-see list, but after 2015 I wonder if I might be left a little disappointed?

I thought the singles released from Relaxer were really good and gave me high hopes for the album but after first listen I am disappointed. 

I have not seen them live yet but feel that a good set from them would be mostly filled with An Awesome Wave tunes. This Is All Yours was a great album to listen to, but I can only imagine a select few of the songs translating well into a live set. Similarly with Relaxer, the only songs I'd want in a live set would be In Cold Blood and 3WW. 

It feels like this new album was rushed just to get something out there for the summer 

Yeah I dunno what to think of it on first listen. It's completely deranged - there are parts I do like and parts I don't on practically every song (which ranks it above their other two albums I guess but doesn't necessarily mean its any good). Gonna try to get to grips with it nonetheless. 

Has to be career suicide though, hasn't it? The kudos they're gonna get for doing their own thing is gonna be heavily outweighed by the legions thinking "fuck happened to this lot?" and deleting the from their libraries.

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Has to be career suicide though, hasn't it? .

I don't know id go that far. The 3 singles definitely stand out and carry the album. Adeline and 3ww specifically hit the spot. The cinematic quality of Last Year (despite the drab first half) felt incredibly alt J. It won't do much for the crowd they drew in with Left Hand Free that's for sure.

I quite like it. Pushing some boundaries and getting a bit fucking weird but why the he'll not? 3WW, cold blood and deadcrush are great. Adeline is as well.

There's nothing like them around at the moment and I like the weirdness. Also the girls vocals are amazing. Isn't she from wolf Alice? 

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

I quite like it. Pushing some boundaries and getting a bit fucking weird but why the he'll not? 3WW, cold blood and deadcrush are great. Adeline is as well.

There's nothing like them around at the moment and I like the weirdness. Also the girls vocals are amazing. Isn't she from wolf Alice? 

yep, ellie rowsell

10 hours ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

Aye I'm listening to it now, I rate it at the moment. Its even more experimental than usual. I wouldn't expect to hear loads of these songs in the set though. Baring 3WW and In cold blood.

I think i read there is a big string section on the majority of the songs so assuming they are there then I would of thought they may play at least a good chunk of these songs. 

Dunno whether to see them or not. Reckon I might get a bit bored. Probably be a decision on the day but suspect I'll be elsewhere

30 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Just watched the later with these on. I like some of the stuff and think some is horrible. Couldn't ever see me choosing them as Saturday Glastonbury headliners though. Even the good stuff is hard work. 

I really really like them but even I am shocked at them heading the other stage on Saturday. I dont think they are a headline act.... Unless they have the orchestra and put on some unexpected show. We will see I suppose 

Quite enjoyed the new album myself, and wouldn't say its so weird that it will alienate their fanbase. Thats always been Alt-J's thing really - geeky and quirky indie.

I really enjoyed the 2015 set - my only criticism at the time was that it would have been even better in the dark with more of a lightshow. So headlining the other stage is spot on, imo.

Disappointed to miss it though, as I'll be at Warpaint.

Listened to the new record last night and it is quite clearly one that will divide opinion. Odd move with the House of The Rising Sun cover and totally unsure about the Hit Me Like That Snare haha. The singles are belters but that doesnt translate across the eight songs... It's alright but I don't think its a step up or anything. Maybe after more listens something might click. Or perhaps its amazing live but I'm not certain they have ever been great in that respect. My Saturday night is up for grabs anyway.

Edited by jyoung