Sleaford Mods

DJ Cull

Sleaford Mods  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Personally I think they're the Emperor's New Clothes, but what do you think?

• Genius
    • Old enough to know better

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If I also have to go and watch Slaves to make this work then I'm afraid you can forget it.

Ahah fair, you don't.  Me and my mate have coined a term now called 'Sleaford modsing' it for gigs, I thought he'd love then live and he didn't get it so I paid for the ticket under the assumption he'd pay for the ticket if he enjoyed it. I got my money.

No reason you should trust his opinion more or less than mine, but my picture is a The Fall single so if you don't trust mine in the first place you're probably in the wrong.

Edited by priest17
I'm an idiot

8 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Shame for a thread to start negatively, and particularly since they broke through in 2014, it's a bit late to be "Emperor's new clothes".

I was reading an interview with the director of the Sleaford Mods documentary (out this month) and apparently they've been approached about showing it at the festival. Obviously I know nobody really watches films at the festival but it'd be cool if it got the WG Q&A treatment like some recent documentaries have.

Also in the interview (here btw) there was this bit which I was pretty chuffed to be a part of the crowd for:

The band seemed a little reluctant to play that Glastonbury show – were they?
Absolutely. As Jason says in the film, he hates festivals. He’d never been there before, and Andrew went in the early 90s and got off his face. They were a bit unsure, because they’re rooted in more punk and underground venues. They thought it was a bit too big and commercial, but when Jason went on stage he couldn’t believe his eyes. He didn’t know how big that stage would be. But it was also the moment when the penny dropped – after that gig, everything changed.

Yeah you could tell at that show how unexpected the reception was and how much it affected Jason. It seemed like he'd prepared himself for a smallish crowd of dickheads in Native American headdresses and then came on to a packed house who were loving it and had come to see them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Rubber Soldier said:

They'd be lost on the Pyramid, especially given how early they'd have to go on. Back in the JPT, higher up the bill, seems a good shout. Has there been any rumblings about where they might play? 

Nah, they wouldn't get lost on any stage they play now. Sunday, early doors. The best wake-up call you could ever ask for. 

25 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

would be pure hilarity! having said that in the wake of the likely election result it would be a welcome gathering

Is it worth four more years of Tory government for the catharsis of a furious post-election Sleaford Mods set on the Pyramid? Probably not, but it'd be glorious either way.

On 20/04/2017 at 7:00 AM, Mash011 said:

Really just comes down to how bloody brilliant of a performer Jason Williamson is, doesn't it? I don't love the music on record other than the occasional banger (job-see-ker!) but I could watch that guy go on for hours.

This...! 

I saw them at The Roundhouse last year and it was one of the most watchable gigs I have been to... I sat upstairs with a massive grin on my face all the way thru..

if you think it is just an angry bloke shouting over a track, just watch him not dropping a beat..

Andrew Fearn with his stack of crates with a laptop on and a can of beer in his hand, is a crucial part of the show...

i am really looking forward to seeing them live again... and plan on dragging family and friends along with me..

On 19/04/2017 at 6:46 PM, Untz said:

Yep. I struggle to listen to a whole album in one sitting, but haven't been bored while watching them. There's a lot more energy/intensity when they play live - even if one of them is just swaying with a can of Stella.

He does have the easiest job in music, just presses play on the laptop, drinks and sways, a lazy mans bez.

I do like them though, just had their latest album on and got bored after the first side, turned it over to put on BHS as I love that song then turned it off. 

Considering it's just the two of them on stage just standing there they are a good live watch

• 2 weeks later...

I might not go see them.

Their 2015 set was a triumph, but that was partly down to being in the JP tent at that time of day and them not expecting the reaction they got. As good as they are live, I don't think they can recreate that moment and it might fall a little flat. This is going to depend highly on set placings.

3 minutes ago, Untz said:

I might not go see them.

Their 2015 set was a triumph, but that was partly down to being in the JP tent at that time of day and them not expecting the reaction they got. As good as they are live, I don't think they can recreate that moment and it might fall a little flat. This is going to depend highly on set placings.

Yeah same here.

Their 2015 set was absolutely magnificent, but I'm worried that their set this year might come across as a little contrived if that makes sense. 

• 4 weeks later...