Sleaford Mods

DJ Cull

Sleaford Mods  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Personally I think they're the Emperor's New Clothes, but what do you think?

• Genius
    • Old enough to know better

• 3 weeks later...

I think their latest album is actually a vast improvement over the earlier stuff. They were verging on Emperor's New Clothes but they seem be evolving a bit in to something more relevant.

Just my two cents. They are local so I'll tend to root for them, mind!

Shame for a thread to start negatively, and particularly since they broke through in 2014, it's a bit late to be "Emperor's new clothes".

I was reading an interview with the director of the Sleaford Mods documentary (out this month) and apparently they've been approached about showing it at the festival. Obviously I know nobody really watches films at the festival but it'd be cool if it got the WG Q&A treatment like some recent documentaries have.

Also in the interview (here btw) there was this bit which I was pretty chuffed to be a part of the crowd for:

The band seemed a little reluctant to play that Glastonbury show – were they?
Absolutely. As Jason says in the film, he hates festivals. He’d never been there before, and Andrew went in the early 90s and got off his face. They were a bit unsure, because they’re rooted in more punk and underground venues. They thought it was a bit too big and commercial, but when Jason went on stage he couldn’t believe his eyes. He didn’t know how big that stage would be. But it was also the moment when the penny dropped – after that gig, everything changed.

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Shame for a thread to start negatively, and particularly since they broke through in 2014, it's a bit late to be "Emperor's new clothes".

I was reading an interview with the director of the Sleaford Mods documentary (out this month) and apparently they've been approached about showing it at the festival. Obviously I know nobody really watches films at the festival but it'd be cool if it got the WG Q&A treatment like some recent documentaries have.

Also in the interview (here btw) there was this bit which I was pretty chuffed to be a part of the crowd for:

The band seemed a little reluctant to play that Glastonbury show – were they?
Absolutely. As Jason says in the film, he hates festivals. He’d never been there before, and Andrew went in the early 90s and got off his face. They were a bit unsure, because they’re rooted in more punk and underground venues. They thought it was a bit too big and commercial, but when Jason went on stage he couldn’t believe his eyes. He didn’t know how big that stage would be. But it was also the moment when the penny dropped – after that gig, everything changed.

Good stuff, I'll be looking out for that film in a couple of days

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If I also have to go and watch Slaves to make this work then I'm afraid you can forget it.

I like the guitar riffyness of slaves but nah they don't do it for me

gave everything they have done a good old listen the other week

I liked it (it's a geezer ranting at everything what's not to like) at first they sound ground breaking , but after a few listens to their stuff it does get a bit samey... the odd track really stands out and they are normally outstanding but a lot of the albums sound the same.. luckily enough i really like the sound so it's all good. I hope they evolve more and change as they sort of have been doing 

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

This.

I like nearly every song I've heard of theirs but I couldn't sit down and listen to a 40 minute album in one go. 

Yeah same here. I couldn't last a full gig when I saw them either!

In those respects they are very similar to The XX for me. 

11 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

This.

I like nearly every song I've heard of theirs but I couldn't sit down and listen to a 40 minute album in one go. 

7 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Yeah same here. I couldn't last a full gig when I saw them either!

In those respects they are very similar to The XX for me. 

I've watched a couple of their live sets on youtube, definitley more compelling live for me.

1 hour ago, JayBalls said:

I've watched a couple of their live sets on youtube, definitley more compelling live for me.

Yep. I struggle to listen to a whole album in one sitting, but haven't been bored while watching them. There's a lot more energy/intensity when they play live - even if one of them is just swaying with a can of Stella.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

And don't forget dear old Mik Artistik.

not sure what you've been watching but there is zero similarity between these acts! 

I kind of see the Fall and John Cooper Clarke comparisons but the delivery is completely different and certainly among modern groups there is nothing else like them.