Where do I start with...

kalifire

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes and Circa Waves sound like the sort of thing I could get into. Any pointers?

I haven't heard much of Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes, but the lead singer is the ex-Gallows lead singer and the bit I have heard of the Rattlesnakes does have the Gallows vibe but, perhaps a bit more QOTSA-esque though.

band:album (a few random songs for those of you too lazy to listen to full albums)

The National: High Violet, then Boxer   (Bloodbuzz Ohio, Terrible Love, Sea of Love, Fake Empire)

Biffy Clyro: Only Revolutions (That Golden Rule, Mountains, Bubbles, Living is a problem because everything dies)

Phoenix: Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, then Bankrupt!  (Too Young, 1901, Entertainment, Trying To Be Cool)

The xx: I See You, then Xx (s/t debut)    (Intro, Islands, Jamie xx - Loud Places, On Hold, Say Something Loving)

Warpaint: The Fool, then Heads Up  (Warpaint, Love is to Die, New Song, Keep It Healthy, Undertow)

Run The Jewels: RTJ 1 (Run The Jewels, Close Your Eyes and Count to Fuck, Oh My Darling Don't Cry, Blockbuster Night pt1)

Metronomy: The English Riviera (The Look, The Bay, Love Letters)

BADBADNOTGOOD: BBNG2 (Flashing Lights, Time Moves Slow)

Thundercat: Apocalypse ( Heartbreaks + Setbacks, Oh Sheit It's X, Them Changes, Show You The Way)

Moderat: II  (A New Error, Bad Kingdom, Rusty Nails)

Justice: Cross   (Genesis , D.A.N.C.E., Civilisation, Safe and Sound)

First Aid Kit: The Lion's Roar (My Silver Lining, Emmylou, Wolf)

nb. not necessarily their best songs/albums, but the most accessible IMO, most of the tracks are singles.

Edited by ghostdancer1

39 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

FJM explains some of his knobbishness here: substance abuse unsurprisingly https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/mar/30/father-john-misty-josh-tillman-pure-comedy-interview

yeah supposedly he takes a tonne of acid, he's quite vocal about it.

"It helps with my depression and anxiety," http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/father-john-misty-talks-lsd-trump-social-medias-dark-side-w473111

Edited by rhg_99

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

band:album (a few random songs for those of you too lazy to listen to full albums)

The National: High Violet, then Boxer   (Bloodbuzz Ohio, Terrible Love, Sea of Love, Fake Empire)

Biffy Clyro: Only Revolutions (That Golden Rule, Mountains, Bubbles, Living is a problem because everything dies)

Phoenix: Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, then Bankrupt!  (Too Young, 1901, Entertainment, Trying To Be Cool)

The xx: I See You, then Xx (s/t debut)    (Intro, Islands, Jamie xx - Loud Places, On Hold, Say Something Loving)

Warpaint: The Fool, then Heads Up  (Warpaint, Love is to Die, New Song, Keep It Healthy, Undertow)

Run The Jewels: RTJ 1 (Run The Jewels, Close Your Eyes and Count to Fuck, Oh My Darling Don't Cry, Blockbuster Night pt1)

Metronomy: The English Riviera (The Look, The Bay, Love Letters)

BADBADNOTGOOD: BBNG2 (Flashing Lights, Time Moves Slow)

Thundercat: Apocalypse ( Heartbreaks + Setbacks, Oh Sheit It's X, Them Changes, Show You The Way)

Moderat: II  (A New Error, Bad Kingdom, Rusty Nails)

Justice: Cross   (Genesis , D.A.N.C.E., Civilisation, Safe and Sound)

First Aid Kit: The Lion's Roar (My Silver Lining, Emmylou, Wolf)

nb. not necessarily their best songs/albums, but the most accessible IMO, most of the tracks are singles.

Ran out of upvotes for today, but this is great.  Thanks!

4 minutes ago, 40 Days said:

Definitely looking forward to Temples, obvious choices to start with are Shelter Song, Keep In the Dark (I think used on a well-known cider brand's TV advert a few summers ago) and Strange or Be Forgotten from their new record.

Saw them in the Peel a few years ago and they didn't play Shelter Song :huh:

They were good though.

4 hours ago, Waapster said:

How about Biffy Clyro? Everything I've read today tells me i should like them but I'm not sure I'd recognise anything.

More of a hits band than an album band but my favourite album of theirs is Puzzle. Has some of my Biffy songs such as Folding Stars, Semi-Mental & Saturday Superhouse. Other tracks that I'm big on are That Golden Rule, Glitter & Trauma, Strung to Your Ribcage, There is No Such Thing as a Jaggy Snake, 57 & Justboy.

Only Revolutions is their most commercially successful but I think there's a lot of crap on there.

Edited by The Placid Casual

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes and Circa Waves sound like the sort of thing I could get into. Any pointers?

Frank Carter is supposed to be electric live. Missed him a couple of times but judging by some of the vids I've watched he will definitely liven things up...