Recommend an Act: 2017 Edition

Tuna

With a whole host of announced acts, the good people of eFestivals aim to point you in the direction of someone on the poster suited to your music tastes.

I'll kick it off with Thundercat. Originally a session bassist doing work for the likes of Erykah Badu, with a keen eye for production. He was massively involved in Kendrick Lamar's instant classic To Pimp a Butterfly. Thundercat champions that current hip-hop/jazz crossover as well as anyone. 

For fans of: Kendrick Lamar, Kamasi Washington, Flying Lotus, etc. Ever heard anything more West Holts than this summertime banger?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go with Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes. For fans of Gallows, King Blues, Bronx 

Only 2 albums released, very different sound on them. The first one is heavier, and the second a lot more melodic. Retrospective examples below:

Edited by Tommy101
For Fans of...

12 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Always love this thread. Will be tricky

I'll start with the one I'm contractually obliged to - Declan Mckenna (ETC winner 2015)

And while I'm here I'll chuck in Loyle Carner. Crackerjack album out recently:

Definitely seeing little don.. He's going to be a big star imo 

The Lemon Twigs

Great new band who just released their debut album which is getting good critical reception. Their music evokes a lot of 60s style (even tho i hate describing bands as that). In terms of their song writing they've often been compared to Lennon & McCartney and you can definitely see why. They're a hell of a lot more interesting than a lot of bands who have released their debut albums in the last year. Supposed to be really good live but I can't confirm that.

For fans of: Foxygen, Mild High Club, The Beatles

Metronomy passed me by until last year. I definitely recommend starting with their album The English Riviera, very easy to get into and it's brilliant all the way through. Dunno who to compare them to really, not really similar but I imagine if you like MGMT, Tame Impala or Hot Chip you would get on with these. They're all really poor comparisons but I like those bands and I also like Metronomy so fuck it haha.

DJ Shadow - ultimate crate digger/sampler and maker of the most perfect album ever IMO (Entroducing). Organ Donor will be a moment.

For fans of - hip hop, Mo Wax artists, Portishead etc.

Going to skip past his most recent releases and go back to

Edited by OBface

42 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Yeah, definitely this. Cheers for the rec'.

I always think of The Lemon Twigs like in Pokemon when they used to bring out a new one that's a younger one at the start of the evolution chain of an existing one. So it goes Lemon Twigs > Foxygen > MGMT.

I think about this 24/7.

Moderat - The combination of modeselektor and apparat. Good punchy melodic electro with some nice vocals over the top, one of those acts for people who like electronic music but also want to see something authentically 'live'.

For fans of: Chemical bros, Jon hopkins and Caribou.

15 minutes ago, OBface said:

DJ Shadow - ultimate crate digger/sampler and maker of the most perfect album ever IMO (Entroducing). Organ Donor will be a moment.

For fans of - hip hop, Mo Wax artists, Portishead etc.

Going to skip past his most recent releases and go back to

i really hope the clashes are favorable and i get to see him, could be something quite special 

Ok well ill recommend The National.

Having read the thread on them earlier, a few don't know who they are. Start with their album Alligator and then move on to more commercial albums The Boxer and High Violet. Also watch the film on them Mistaken for Strangers which is an excellent watch!

For fans of - Joy Division, Editors, Chapel Club, Doves