Dropping a festi bar worker off on the Monday

poison69

Hi all,

Will be driving from ooop North and can offer a lift to a friend who will be working there.

Will I be able to drop him off at the site and if so where? Or would it be best to drop him off in Glastonbury and he get a bus?

Cheers

Steve

A lot depends on what his arrival instructions are, and that can vary quite significantly from crew to crew.

I don't know what the procedures are for either of the 2 main organisations that supply bar staff - but as an example Oxfam Stewards need to sign in in the Oxfam Field just outside Gate B before collecting wristbands to go on site, so arriving at the Coach Station next to Gate A isn't a great idea as it means a long walk around the outside of the fence.

10 hours ago, poison69 said:

Hi all,

Will be driving from ooop North and can offer a lift to a friend who will be working there.

Will I be able to drop him off at the site and if so where? Or would it be best to drop him off in Glastonbury and he get a bus?

Cheers

Steve

incident is correct 

now while the two main operators are WBC and Avalon { Shelter Supply volunteers for them } - there is in fact other bar Operators and they all have various entry procedures and I doubt if your friend has been sent the details yet.

Now if its one of the main ones -

as far as I am aware  Avalon/Shelter will expect most of their volunteers to arrive by a Shelter Coach { from various towns } they may issue a crew parking pass but all that has to be arranged in advance .

The WBC will also be laying on Coaches - most of them will arrive on the Tuesday - there will also be a few crew parking passes ' but this has to be arranged in advance.

For the people on the Coach - there will be various checks and on arrival they will be inspected by GFL and they will then be issued a staff ticket and or wrist band.

For the people who have received permission to arrive by car ' they will be sent a staff ticket in advance with details which staff car park to use.

If your friend does not arrange this in advance - your car will never be able to enter and even if you drop him in Glastonbury town he just cant show up without a proper staff ticket.

so really he has to follow instructions and if he does not its unlikely he will get in.

By the way the WBC Crew camp is on the west side and Avalon Crew camp is on the East side.

and I would expect they will be expecting most of their staff to arrive on the Tuesday - now I know that the WBC will have set up crews working there for weeks before but the vast majority will arrive on the Tuesday

if your friend wants to arrive on the Monday then they have to get special permission in advance.

wind the clock back ten or so years ago entry was far different as they had a Portakabin where Crews could show up ' but they are long gone '

even on a Crew Coach that has the correct onsite access pass { where Security has been given advance notice - the reg number - the name of the Coach and driver and all the crew details and the expected time of arrival } even then some years there can be a two hour wait - why I don't have a clue although it was far quicker last year .

A car with no pass will not even get close. 

Thank you for all that info @glasto-worker

I need to catch up with him to get details but I know he had to make his own way down last year.

He will be working at The Cornish Arms if that helps.

The reason that I'm asking is because he's not the best at organizing anything and knowing where he's supposed to be at any time! :D 

Cheers

Steve

3 hours ago, poison69 said:

Thank you for all that info @glasto-worker

I need to catch up with him to get details but I know he had to make his own way down last year.

He will be working at The Cornish Arms if that helps.

The reason that I'm asking is because he's not the best at organizing anything and knowing where he's supposed to be at any time! :D 

Cheers

Steve

I have no clue about St Austell Brewery  - but that may work in his favour 

Each of the Big Operators are dealing with 500+ to 1000+ staff numbers so it make sense to deal with staff on Coaches .

The smaller the Operator the less rigid they me be - it will all be in the instructions which will likely be the same as last year 

it will spell out when he can arrive by - where he has to go to either pick up a trader ticket or they may post that put to him .

I would expect they will want him to arrive by Red Gate but you need to check up on this.

he will have all the information so all you need to do is get last years letter from him

last year was the first year that GFL changed entry procedure - up to then - no trader tickets were required for the people on WBC Coaches - I cant recall the dates on it - they issue various types depending when they are expected to arrive.

have no clue where they camp.