Car Parking

ripcurl85

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, ___S_o_m_a__ said:

Grow stuff? Graze stuff?

Laugh all the way to the bank 'cause you've charged a fortune to rent your field out for a week?

To be fair the "competition" isn't just growing/grazing, even though I think you're underestimating how disruptive hiring a field to the Festival can be to those activities.

The problem GFL have that has been putting land rental prices up dramatically more than anything else over the last 10ish years is that increasing demand for glamping style options have meant that landowners have realised they can signficantly make more money for far less potential damage to the land - you only need to put up 1 yurt to get the same income as more than 20 cars (even considering the most recent car park price hike), and you'll get the field back quicker and almost certainly in better condition. It's by far the main reason why certain fields are no longer available to the Festival, and others are far more expensive than they used to be.

43 minutes ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

The o2 arena, to see 1 band for 1 evening is £26 

Does anyone  need to actually drive right up to the 02 with the exception of the less able who I presume would get if free ? 

Up here in Yorkshire there is still loads of free parking , or at worst in Leeds it's £2 after 6pm until 8.00 am.

Edited by ivan

Just now, ivan said:

Does any need to actually drive right up to the 02 with the exception of the less able who I presume would get if free ?

While generally I agree, sometimes the easiest option wins out, especially if someone doesn't know the area that well and/or hasn't done proper planning.

I went to Wembley Arena a couple years ago, drove down after work and parked in a nearby multi story - I did take a look at the prices on the way in and they seemed reasonable. However I'd completely failed to notice the sign that said "£20 Arena Event surcharge" or words to that effect and so ended up paying about £24. My mistake, and not one I'll make again but I'm sure there's enough first timers / out of towners going to Wembley / O2 / etc that they can charge these prices and get away with it enough to make it worthwhile. Next time I'm parking at Stanmore and taking the Tube the rest of the way.

On 28/03/2017 at 8:51 PM, ___S_o_m_a__ said:

So if Glastonbury car park ticket was £100 it would still be good value?

I wasn't making any point about value, more the point that there is maybe a going rate for big events?,

Somewhere between extortionate to outright fucking criminal seems to be the mark.

not that I'm a football fan, but take parking near the ground on match day as another example 

On 3/28/2017 at 9:24 PM, incident said:

While generally I agree, sometimes the easiest option wins out, especially if someone doesn't know the area that well and/or hasn't done proper planning.

I went to Wembley Arena a couple years ago, drove down after work and parked in a nearby multi story - I did take a look at the prices on the way in and they seemed reasonable. However I'd completely failed to notice the sign that said "£20 Arena Event surcharge" or words to that effect and so ended up paying about £24. My mistake, and not one I'll make again but I'm sure there's enough first timers / out of towners going to Wembley / O2 / etc that they can charge these prices and get away with it enough to make it worthwhile. Next time I'm parking at Stanmore and taking the Tube the rest of the way.

They have been asking that around that bit for years!, the whole time that Glastonbury were charging £15/20 for car parking.

£45 for parking is disgusting.. It doesn't represent value for money whichever way you break it down. How many thousand cars are at the festival? Let's face it the festival/landowners are making a killing from it.. We are being had on this

Edited by adamg1602
I missed blaming the landowners too.. Greedy Bastards

Gone by coach for the last few years and find it much less stressful than driving there. 

Generally try to get the coach package from Bristol, but if I just get a general ticket use public transport from Bristol to Glastonbury and then use the Shuttle bus. 

Do think encouraging more use of train and bus to get there will be encouraged by increasing the car park charge.

Only question I'd have is whether there are now more bus and coach options available? Might just be coincidence but found it much easier getting coach/festival combination tickets in the last few years so assume more are being laid on

It really depends where you live as to whether the coaches are a viable option - my nearest city (Brighton) is thirty miles away, so I'd have to drive there for 6am - and leave the car in the city, paying for more parking there. No public transport to get me there at that time. So as much as I'd like to get the coach, it just doesn't work for great swathes of the ticketholders. 

On 28/03/2017 at 9:07 PM, incident said:

To be fair the "competition" isn't just growing/grazing, even though I think you're underestimating how disruptive hiring a field to the Festival can be to those activities.

The problem GFL have that has been putting land rental prices up dramatically more than anything else over the last 10ish years is that increasing demand for glamping style options have meant that landowners have realised they can signficantly make more money for far less potential damage to the land - you only need to put up 1 yurt to get the same income as more than 20 cars (even considering the most recent car park price hike), and you'll get the field back quicker and almost certainly in better condition. It's by far the main reason why certain fields are no longer available to the Festival, and others are far more expensive than they used to be.

This....

I am sure the green argument and last years traffic chaos add to it.. but ME's banging on about moving to a site that has only one landowner is i am sure a major part..

In the East Campervan fields, E22 (probably the best placed CV field) was changed to Glamping a couple of years ago.. There would have been possibly 150-200 vans @£100 a pop = £15k - £20k for the field.. Peak through the fence at the pre-erected tents/yurts/teepees they have and there is a ton of room..

3 hours ago, phil the shrew said:

Only question I'd have is whether there are now more bus and coach options available? Might just be coincidence but found it much easier getting coach/festival combination tickets in the last few years so assume more are being laid on

Loads more via Nat Express yeah. Can go from Bristol Airport to the festival now.

Got coach this year and two resales previously. You would hope that the more people try for coach the more will be put on the next year. Theres been 15,000 Glasto coach tic packages since 2013. They should increase that.

Means people bring less - and makes you realise you don't need that much stuff - and theres no queues to get in due to the staggered arrivals.

And you can get completely shitfaced on Sunday. 

I've went by coach twice from London and really enjoyed it.

However, I'm now living much further away, with a child and it's just not possible to travel via anything other than car. Yes, our choice to bring a child etc, but it's a steep addition to the ticket prices.

Cars aren't just convenience, for many they're the only way of getting to and from the festival.

I guess I temper it with the view that with a car I am more able to bring more of my own food & drink and be far more flexible with timings.

It's a blatant rip off pure and simple. Comparing one overpriced rip off to another overpriced rip off means nothing. Same as the entrance fee. I couldn't give a fuck how many more bands or areas they say they are adding, I can only see so many bands in a weekend. It is over 3 times the price now as when I first attended and I can tell you for damned sure I am not having 300% more fun than I did back then nor am I earning 300% more money..

I'm still going .:ph34r:

The prices being charged today (whether parking or ticket price) can be analysed and carved up any which way anyone likes for justification purposes, but the stark reality of it all is that the festival is out of the reach of more and more people and their ability to afford it every single year; year on year. It really does sadden me unfortunately. It really does feel like its making the festival more and more exclusive and becoming more removed from the idea I had in my mind of what the festival was. Maybe I have some romantic, fanciful idea that the festival was at its core about inclusiveness, but I cant help feel that it is morphing into a middle/upper class over-hyped BBC pop spectacular (with a bit of an entertainment edge)..............

But sure when has there not been folk whinging about "the festival not being as good as it used to be"? eh?

:mellow:

7 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Anywhere like that round these parts normally has a two or three hour free parking limit - as I found out when I got a 50 odd quid fine when i nipped into town a couple of years ago after actually doing some shopping in the retail park first.

It used to be part of a large Sainsburys which has since been knocked down, nowadays I'm not sure anyone regulates it. Because it's next door to the A2 and near North Grenwich tube you also get lots of people driving in from Kent and leaving their cars there in the morning ebfore picking them up at night.

23 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

It used to be part of a large Sainsburys which has since been knocked down, nowadays I'm not sure anyone regulates it. Because it's next door to the A2 and near North Grenwich tube you also get lots of people driving in from Kent and leaving their cars there in the morning ebfore picking them up at night.

Its gonna be an Ikea soon where Sainsburys was so no one will be able to park there. Gonna make traffic so fun!