When is enough,enough?

glastolover19

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, clarkete said:

That's exactly me, I'm afraid. 

When I first did it, there were half a dozen of us, some of whom stayed in a tent next to it, so it gave us kitchen, loo, shower, transport and accomodation for say twenty quid a day each.

Then time passes, some years you have different quantities of people, sometimes the firm you used the previous year puts the price up.  The real switch for me was having some years where I couldn't drive for medical reasons.  I  didn't know any other on site options back then, the person I was going with wouldn't got if they had to camp and seeing it's a key milestone in my life for the past 30+ years I didn't hesitate.  Crazy as it seems many times they sell out before the tickets in October.

I bought my house 20+ years ago and have been too lazy to move, hence I'm incredibly fortunate to not have a mortgage.  I donate plenty to charity over the year so my conscience is clear, well at least in that respect :wacko:

I'm not trying/going to judge anyone's circumstances when it comes to Glastonbury. Twenty quid a day each seems quite reasonable. Comparable to or cheaper than being in a tent in a regular campsite for a night I'd guess.

Having had a think about what I posted, the cost may well even out given the possible massive savings made on food and drink if you do fully self catering for five days, especially if you're with a big family/group.

I consider myself extremely fortunate to be able to attempt to get to and do the festival without bothering too much about whether It's going to leave me skint for other things at the moment. though I'm really not a prudent man financially speaking (much like others have touched on in this thread, I have made (still make) what some would consider to be foolish life choices). I could take a small gas stove and a kettle and some tea-bags and etc, etc, etc, but luckily don't have to faff about worrying with all that at this moment in time, though I still gravitate towards the cheapest cup of tea/burger stalls.

Could quite literally all change in heartbeat though.

If you don't have a mortgage, have you considered investing in your own campervan field compatible vehicle, rather than hiring one?  It would surely pay for itself over the years. Biggest problem with having something like that 'round our way would be where to park it.

21 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

If  you don't have a mortgage, have you considered investing in your own campervan field compatible vehicle, rather than hiring one?  It would surely pay for itself over the years. Biggest problem with having something like that 'round our way would be where to park it.

Yeah same.  

Firstly I'd need to pay to park it, secondly I'd probably only use it a couple of  times a year and end up paying a lot in maintenance (I've done so with underused cars before) but thirdly (and most significantly) my medical periods of not driving were epilepsy, for which one seizure can mean twelve month's.  Hence any plans can go out the window immediately. 

Last year the cheeky s*ds put the price up by three hundred quid and it had a sizeable increase the previous year.  In those circumstances just finding a different firm with a better deal who do a great job can feel like a victory ;)

Have to say balance reminder email came as quite a shock! Its what I paid for my whole ticket almost when I started going only iin 2010?

Lucky enough I can afford it still, but it does make you think how much? I think my limit would be around £300, its when you can do lot of other fun stuff for the same price or smaller.

Feel sorry for those priced out of it already though, but I'm not sure if there is anything practical that can be done other than to downsize the festival and make it cheaper? (but even Bestival is almost 200 quid for its full price ticket again)