Glasto First-Timer from USA

Magump

Hi all,

If I can snag a resale ticket, I'll be attending Glasto for the first time, and also visiting England for the first time (woohoo!). I've been to many US multi-day festivals before, but this is my first international experience, so I was hoping for a bit of advice. Some additional info: I will be solo, no car, coming to and from London, flight back to the States will leave the Monday after the festival around 12:00.

My main question revolves around travel:

What is my best option for commuting to and from London to the festival? Ideally I'd like to arrive Thursday morning (this is flexible), but I absolutely have to be back into London on Monday morning (early). I keep hearing about the coach ticket options, but I was also wondering - would the train be a safer/faster/more efficient bet if I absolutely need to get out early Monday morning to get back to London for my flight? The Glastonbury site suggests the Castle Cary station - anyone ever used this option leaving the festival? Maybe buying a single coach to get there on Thursday morning and then take the train back?

On a related note, if there are any other US citizens reading this who registered a profile on the Glastonbury site: the field that says "postcode" mentions international residents should put their town - for US citizens does town mean state? Or does it mean our ZIP code? For example, would City = Los Angeles and Postcode = CA or is Postcode 904XX? Attached a pic of the registration site for reference.

Either way - thanks for the help and hopefully I'll be celebrating with you guys in June!Registration.thumb.png.a32e8e8fcf078344dadeefb5af0b143a.png

Hello Magump,

Unfortunately I can't help you on the travelling from London bit, as I'll be travelling in the opposite direction. However, I feel compelled to urge you to read this before attending the festival, because it will make life much easier for you, and will help you to just be able to relax and enjoy the festival rather than have to 'learn' about aspects of it while you are there.

http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq

In addition, use the free Lock Ups for things like your passport, money etc. You can take money out of them any time you like, so there's no need to carry all your loot around with you all the time. 

Wishing you well in the re-sale.

Hopefully you havent made your travel plans because to be completely honest getting a ticket on the resale will be really really hard.

If you take the Coach option, you will only need to use it when you go to the festival. Leaving the festival, it's not mandatory for you to use the coach, so you can still buy the coach tickets and get back to London using train or other methods. I strongly suggest if its possible that you get there on Wednesday though, instead of the Thursday. What makes Glastonbury festival is that there's so much things to do and explore. To many, Wednesday is actually their favourite day of the festival.

Correct method would be:

City = Los Angeles  Postcode = Postcode 904XX?

Although, please note that if you buy the normal ticket (non coach package) your ticket will be sent to your address (so in this case, international delivery to your US address - I don't think there's a box office will call booth in the festival, they won't be able to print your ticket on site)

To summarize:

Going to the festival: 

Strongly recommend you go from Wednesday. If you get a coach ticket, you will get your ticket on your coach. If you get a general ticket, if budget is not an issue, would strongly suggest taking the train to Castle Cary. There's a shuttle bus to the festival site from the train station.

Leaving the festival:

Strongly recommend you take an early monday train from Castle Cary to London

Last year was my first year from Canada and I took the train back and forth from London to Castle Cary.  If you're flying out at noon on Monday...the train takes about 3 hours into London which means you definitely have to be on the earliest possible train in order to make your flight. I didn't get in the line until midday and it took about 2 hours just to get on the shuttle for the train. I think the queue isn't so bad at 6am though. Good luck getting a ticket! 

You're really pushing it having a flight at midday on Monday, sorry. Bearing in mind you'd need to be at Heathrow at least 2 hours before, at least an hour from London Paddington to LHR, and then 3 hours to Castle Cary. I just don't see that its possible? 

Wouldn't the coach be better? Surely there's an national express coach that leaves Monday really early. Might be worth checking that out. Good luck in the resales dude. It'll be worth all your efforts.

2 hours ago, bexj said:

You're really pushing it having a flight at midday on Monday, sorry. Bearing in mind you'd need to be at Heathrow at least 2 hours before, at least an hour from London Paddington to LHR, and then 3 hours to Castle Cary. I just don't see that its possible? 

I fully agree - ' lets say if there was no one in the queue for coach/train it still would not be possible ' leaving Monday morning

anyone who has to catch a plane has to be realistic and if its a international flight they have to leave even more time 

current advice from Heathrow - you should aim to arrive:

Long-haul and El Al: three hours before scheduled departure

European flights: two hours before scheduled departure

UK and Ireland flights: 90 minutes before scheduled departure.

-------

it really means that if the flight cant be changed and they don't have access to a Helicopter then it means leaving Sunday - its the only way unless they hire a car { a expensive prospect } and leave overnight.

If your lucky enough to get a ticket, I'd definitely go for the Coach (National Express) option to get off site on the Monday. I've got a coach ticket from London Victoria early Wednesday so I'll be on site by mid-day and I've get a 2am Coach to London on the Monday morning so arrive back in London early morning, and of course I experience the whole duration of the festival. Coaches have their own dedicated route into the festival so generally get on and off-site with minimal delays. Getting a train Monday morning at the time you want/need might be "very challenging" as there are many likeminded travellers doing the same thing. Good luck on the resale.

According to the current train timetable (important caveat) the earliest train to LHR is the 0639 to London Paddington, arrive 0838.  Then you catch 0855 to LHR arriving 0910. Price - £120.  Ouch!  That gives you nearly three hours check-in time. So in theory it's doable on the rail travel front.  

BUT don't know how early shuttle buses run to Castle Carey and when you would have to set off from site to get the first train.  Perhaps a taxi from site to CC might be safer.  If it is possible to move that flight back do it, as it will save you unnecessary stress and hassle.  

As others have said, get there on Weds to squeeze every bit of value out of the festival.  I love Glastonbury Wednesdays!.  

I think to get to Heathrow for 9am you would need to leave Sunday night - there are coaches that leave 1am/2am on the Monday if you can on one straight away. I wouldn't risk trying to get the first train unless you can make sure you are on the shuttle bus and first in the queue. If you pack up all your stuff on Sunday and leave it in the lock ups you can pick it up on the way out. Be prepared for queues and delays getting off site - could take you 3-4 hours to get to Heathrow- better still get a flight back Monday night instead! 

Bus shuttle between castle cary and site is free. Castle cary is realistically the best way.  On the plus side. you arrive at Paddington from Castle Cary and depart Paddington for Heathrow (Heathrow express).  Unfortunately you will be dealing with an extraordinary service on the Monday with many things that could delay you.  That said, there will be many more trains running, and often regular express services will make an extra stop at castle cary to fill up seats / knock down the crowds.

I'd suggest leaving before midnight on the Sunday.  In fact, If it were me I'd arrive on Wednesday, and leave around 9pm Sunday.

however. your chances are slim of getting a ticket in the resale.  Good Luck nevertheless, and hope to see you there :)  

If you absolutely have to be back for a flight Monday noon, you should look at hiring a car, rather than the train etc.

A hire car from Wed to Mon should be <£100 which is comparable to train costs, and then you can leave the festival late Sunday night, kip for a couple of hours in a service station (and grab a shower!), and be at the airport well in time for your flight.

First of all, thanks to everyone for the replies - really helpful information.

To answer someone's earlier question, no, I have not yet booked any flights or travel arrangements yet, since I realize chances are still very slim for me actually getting a resale ticket.

That being said, from reading all your responses, it seems like the most straightforward solution for me would be to see if I could get a flight either late Monday night or early Tuesday - that way I'm not stressing about delays, what route to take, etc., and can just enjoy the festival. The consensus seems like trying to catch a midday train on Monday by leaving the festival early Monday morning has too many risks/variables for delay.

Also, thanks for the heads up on trying to arrive Wednesday to enjoy the full festival. I think if I can round up enough vacation time, I'm going to try my best to get into London on Tuesday and take the coach on Wednesday.

Thanks again for the help! Hope to see you all there.

Hey.

I've been to Glastonbury 3 times, always fitting it in my vacations. I usually arrive to the UK 4 or 5 days before and spend a few days in London where you can buy anything you need for the festival (clothes, camping gear, etc). I've always used the coach. Arriving on Wednesday and leaving on Monday morning. And I usually have a flight on Tuesday to wherever I go next. Don't risk it by booking a flight on Monday. You never know how long it's gonna take.

This time though, I'm renting a car as it's going to cost me the same as 2 return coach tickets with National Express. 

If you haven't already, read as much as you can about the festival because it's a much bigger deal than most festivals. Be prepared and well informed. This is very important in order to avoid something going wrong that could mess your whole festival.

3 hours ago, Magump said:

First of all, thanks to everyone for the replies - really helpful information.

To answer someone's earlier question, no, I have not yet booked any flights or travel arrangements yet, since I realize chances are still very slim for me actually getting a resale ticket.

That being said, from reading all your responses, it seems like the most straightforward solution for me would be to see if I could get a flight either late Monday night or early Tuesday - that way I'm not stressing about delays, what route to take, etc., and can just enjoy the festival. The consensus seems like trying to catch a midday train on Monday by leaving the festival early Monday morning has too many risks/variables for delay.

Also, thanks for the heads up on trying to arrive Wednesday to enjoy the full festival. I think if I can round up enough vacation time, I'm going to try my best to get into London on Tuesday and take the coach on Wednesday.

Thanks again for the help! Hope to see you all there.

good luck in your quest

one of my Team lives in Iceland and when he first wanted to do it 8 years ago - I stressed the fact that none of us can see into the future and even although we are using a crew Coach - that has a easy exit { it does not use the coach station } he had to book the last available flight.

The crew coaches will start to leave at 6am and some years the trip back is easy but in 2016 for reasons we never found out - there was a big delay - not getting out - that has never been a problem but closer to Stonehenge - now the coaches stay in touch so my driver called up the coach behind so they were able to avoid it but we were stuffed - the coach that was able to avoid it ' was back in London ' four hours  before us even although we left 30 minuets before he did.

he was well happy - that he did book the last available flight.

Anyone who has a important flight or train has to leave a large enough buffer as you never what may happen.

although this video shows people arriving at Castle Cary  - you can just imagine what its like on the Monday

https://youtu.be/jVYhp00rzHo

I have driven past that station and the amount of people trying to get into the station was like Oxford Street at the sales.

One more thing about getting to Heathrow from Glastonbury... if your train from Castle Cary goes via Reading (it will) then there is an excellent direct Heathrow Rail Link bus service which saves you going all the way in to London and coming back out again.