A creature of the day or a creature of the night?

FolkMeRight

This year is my fifth Glastonbury and it's time to come clean - I have never stayed up past 1am! There, I've said it and it's off Folk's chest. I have come to the conclusion that I am 100% a 'Glastonbury creature of the day' and at the ripe old age of 35 I am no longer ashamed to admit it. The years of peer pressure from our closely knit Glastonbury group to get me out all night have taken their toll though as I still worry that I am missing out and not getting the most out of my festival. Then again, last year I was up with the larks at The Park on the Sunday morning enjoying two or three great bands.

Are you a creature of the day or a creature of the night? What is better? Am I missing out? Any non-substance related advice for maximising my festival?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'm gonna sit on the fence and say a mix of both!

Love the late nights - sooo much going on and so many great memories in the SE Corner, Beat Hotel, Stone Circle etc.

But it's equally great watching an act in the sun with a bevvy and some grub in hand!

Edited by TomViolence

Around 2-3am for me most nights then sleep until between 8-9am the following day

I need a decent nights kip so I can go at it again the day after.

I do salute those who stay up for the sunrise and only need a couple of hours sleep a night though! Just not for me unfortunately.

Should also say by doing this I don't need naps during the afternoon which suits me.

Edited by JoeyT

These days I live in the daytime timezone more than I used to, which I put down to age.  I've had some great all nighters over the years but I think the last time I saw dawn was 2013.  It's something that I always regret post-festival, but I find it hard to sleep in the mornings even in the mildest of weather and this impacts on my ability to keep the energy levels up later.  On the bright side I do get to see the milk tractors.

I'm waiting for someone to enter this thread and tell us repeatedly that we're all wrong for enjoying the wrong end of the day (probably something do with LCD soundsystem)

4 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I'm waiting for someone to enter this thread and tell us repeatedly that we're all wrong for enjoying the wrong end of the day (probably something do with LCD soundsystem)

Would it be remiss of me to say Wednesday daytime is my favourite part of the festival at this point? :rofl:

I really wish I was a creature of the night, but years and years of getting up early for work ensures I always wake early, even at Glastonbury.

Longest stay up night I can only just claim as an all-nighter as I got back from the stone circle to Big Ground just at the onset of dawn. Nowadays latest I'm probably asleep by 1:30am, however I enjoy being amongst the first handful of people at the front of West Holts or Avalon or the Acoustic waiting for the first act on each day.

4th G for me but 1st without drugs as my company for this one is drastically different to usual. never been much of a drinker so in the past was always very easy to keep going until 7/8 in the morning with a chemical leg up, then be up and out by noon. this year, i doubt i'll last past 1-2am. 

In my teens/early 20s I was a decent mix of both. Now I'm in my late 30s I'm definitely It's definitely day. Last time I tried an all nighter I had assistance and ended up throwing up over myself in the sacred space as the sun came up...

2 minutes ago, Calvin Klein said:

Day. The latest I've stayed up might be 3 or 4AM once or twice.

Are you Argentinian? Thats only breakfast time for you lot. 

Sort of got tired of people mashed off their tits in the SE Corner at 5am so more of a day person now. 

Last time I was up there it was messy. Looked like this.

total+recall+venusville.jpg

Walking around the site on a sunny morning is great. I do enjoy the odd late night/early morning in the Rocket Lounge still though if theres a decent band on. Keith Allen calling people c**ts or something. 

I guess I have to go with Day as I genuinely remember very little of my nights! Except for my Chats with random people on the Strummerville sofas and a roaring bonfire.. best spot.

I walked into Strummerville a couple of years ago and got a look like Id just strolled into a blues club in Atlanta wearing a KKK costume.

They can fuck off. 

Edited by The Nal

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Are you Argentinian? Thats only breakfast time for you lot. 

Yes, I am. I could have chosen a closer place to be obsessed with, right?

I wish I could stay up longer at night but we usually get up around 9AM and by 12/1AM we are dead. I'll definitely try to get to SE corner once this year though, as It could be my last one for a while.

Edited by Calvin Klein

I normally manage a couple of late ones a year, but like @Avalon_Fields years of getting up between 5.30 and 6 for work mean that I tend to wake up early, plus I always get the feeling that I must be missing something if I'm not out and about.

But first solo year so going to aim at getting up a bit later and properly enjoying the night.  Got Crow's Nest and Strummerville on my list for this year :)

Edited by Quark