A creature of the day or a creature of the night?

FolkMeRight

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Hmm I'm 35 too, like the op. I've noticed that getting old (or older) has had a massive impact on my ability to stay up later. I'm now known for  regularly taking myself of and going to bed amongst my circle of friends, on a normal night out I just can't seem to hack it anymore and once I have a twinge of tiredness I just can't get it out of my head, and I just want to go to bed... but what I've found is that if I have the right stimulation (and I'm not talking drugs) as in a good environment, good music etc then I'm fine, I can generally keep going much longer. Last year I was probably a mixture, probably a couple of early nights and a couple of a couple of late ones too, but I tend to find in an environment like Glastonbury the right sort of music keeps me going, but in an everyday situation I just get bored and tired and want my bed.

If I can't find the kind of music to hold my attention I'm normally done. Think that's why SE corner doesn't do it for me; as interesting as it is the choons just don't grab me!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a day creature - usually wake at 8/9 and head into main site about 11, head back to tent at about 4-5 for a power nap and to refuel. Back onto site for 6 and then hit the sack at around 2-3am. 

Stayed up until 4.30am last year though and felt proper hardcore!

I'm both. Too excited all the time. Last year me and me pal made a pact to be up early and get out, it was great being up about early. Struggled a bit, but once the booze got flowing I was fine again :-) Swap from cider to spirits in the evening and I'm on for it, not too fussed with SE area, much prefer round greenfields. Chatting jive and smoking a little something something. Last year on the Sunday we got back to the tents about 4.30, but I just didn't want it to end, so I went back to the stone circle with me hispflask of whiskey and chilled. Beaut it was

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

We so have to get you a ticket. Where do you normally camp? :D

I'm a bit of both, not really a morning person. Saturday night is usually my all nighter. 

That would be for the bacon sandwiches I take it and not for my scintillating morning conversation!

Should I get that golden ticket next month I'll be open to suggestions on where to camp this year. Before my missus had to stop going we always camped in pennards then in 2013 when we took the kids we camped next to the kids field (can't even remember which campground that was now?) Last year was my first year going solo and I camped up in Darble which was nice but for me it was a little too far away. I think the mud made it seem further than it actually was mind.

OP here. It's heartwarming to read everyone's experiences of day and night, and the message I am getting is that it's all about grabbing the experiences when you can. It truely is YOUR festival, however you want to do it. The people you bump into and have a chinwag with, the chillout time at the tent, the breathtaking and impossible crowd at a headliner or huddled in the Avalon Cafe on a soggy Sunday Morning. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. 

16 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

16 hours ago, Lauringtonzini said:

On 3/23/2017 at 11:54 PM, Sasperella said:

I can manage something akin to this for the whole of Friday...sleeping on Friday night is not an option as usually by the time I get back to my tent some of the other guys in the crew are off for breakfast and so I go with...and then bands ensue, and then more DJs :) But by Saturday night it gets a bit much. I made it till sunrise last year but I think only as we were chilling at Strummersville so I didn't have to do anything hectic (aside from walk back to Rivermead in the mud!!). Clearly I am getting old...

I frankly think that this is irresponsible. Have you considered just going to sleep at a normal time (eg 12pm) and hanging out with your friends? Fucking ace.

I try to have a couple of decent sleeps (1-2am) when at the festival but although I'm not that interested in the late night areas I love wandering, drinking and waiting for the sunrise. At least one night is required where you see the sun set, then stay up drinking and talking shit until you can enjoy the sun rise. Lovely.

Whenever I've been up at the Stone Circle for sunrise it's always been cloudy as fuck.

But plenty of times I've been in the SEC when it's been cloudless and the sun has risen and I've shrieked and tried to run away from it like some depraved vampire who cannot be in sunlight.

On 24/03/2017 at 3:35 PM, Sweet_pea said:

No matter who I go with, I am ALWAYS the first up... always. Frustrates the living f**k out of me waiting around for other people. This year I have decided that if I am up and ready to go, the sleepy heads can catch up with me later!

This is so me, I love the late nights but I can guarantee im always up by 8am no matter what, it drives me nuts that everyone is able to sleep and there I am wandering around waiting for folk to get up!   I think I will take a leaf out of your book this year and head off, the others catch up later!

Awake most the day enjoying bands in a relatively sober fashion, awake most of the night is a less so sober fashion, yet always the first awake.

Quite a light sleeper but never feel bad at glasto, until the Tuesday after hits.

Both. No matter what time I go to bed, I'm awake at 7:30ish. Thursday I'm in bed by 0530, Friday 0530, Saturday 0430, Sunday 0330 and Monday is an all nighter or 0100. Depends on how knackered I am and what time the coach is. Last year was 0100 as I had an appointment at 0700 so had to be coherent, as well as the mud... I was done in. As I get older (I'm 40) I hit it harder as Tickets get harder to get and I don't want to miss anything. It takes me weeks to get over though. 

On 23/03/2017 at 2:50 PM, GMF said:

I did consider starting a different thread but thought I would hijack this one.

This is my second festival and last time we stayed off site as some of the group did not want to camp, this meant leaving site around midnight. I have won the argument and we are camping this year.

I am looking for some advice on what areas we should visit, I am not much into dancing and don't take drugs, but will happily drink well into the night. I am looking for a more chilled late night experience, somewhere to sit and drink, maybe some music, comedy and a bit of chat. This is making me sound really dull but looking for some suggestions.

I also highly recommend the bar on the hill above the park, it's ace. Really chilled, beautiful view especially at night, serves until at least 3 am (I think). Good selection of real ale and that. I love it up there, probably my favourite spot in the whole festival. 

6 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

I also highly recommend the bar on the hill above the park, it's ace. Really chilled, beautiful view especially at night, serves until at least 3 am (I think). Good selection of real ale and that. I love it up there, probably my favourite spot in the whole festival. 

Do they play tunes?

On 23/03/2017 at 9:49 PM, bennyhana22 said:

It's just a ridiculous obsessive quality I have that cannot even contemplate not using every flippin' minute doing something amazing.

I genuinely see it as packing a whole year's worth of anticipation and wonder into five days...

This is my philosophy too. I get really impatient when others in our group drag their heels and moan about being tired, to the point that these days I'll gladly just bin them off rather than hang about missing stuff. Some of our lot had to go have a big sleep on Friday afternoon last year, what the actual fuck. Losers. 

Monday and Tuesday are for being tired.

Edited by Junglist1981

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Do they play tunes?

No, it's really just a smallish wooden structure with a very small platform and once you've bought a drink (ale and cider), you tend to move onto the grass. Any music comes floating up from the Park (stage, bars, Rabbit Hole) or Crow's Nest which is adjacent.

9 hours ago, Junglist1981 said:

That bar on the hill above the park is ace. Great if you want to chill with a few bevs in between bands on the stage below. In between Kurt Vile & Floating Points I stood at the edge of that bar and just spent a good hour taking in the view. 

20 hours ago, Junglist1981 said:

Yep we spent pretty much all of Friday up there as it was a lovely Sunny day, think we only came down to watch Disclosure that day.