A creature of the day or a creature of the night?

FolkMeRight

Even with the best will in the world and all the best laid plans we just go till we can't go any longer.. 

It does mean we miss a few things and getting back to it gets harder but we are always out longer than we have planned for. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I've ever done an all nighter, not quite. For me it's usually that I'm cold rather than that I'm tired. I have got back to the tent when it's been getting light, though. I used to be up at about 10 - 11am for breakfast (I'm always staving hungry when I've been drinking) and in bed by 3am-ish - we'd usually head to the Park, Theatre and Circus or the Pennard Organic wine bar after a headliner. The Wood, new last year, was lush in the late evening too.

These days I stay up (very) late on Tuesday and Wednesday night then I'm up at 5am for a 6am shift on Friday to Monday, so I tend to go to bed at about 1am. I must admit I do enjoy my walk from Tom's Field across the quiet and still site early in the morning, while I can still hear the distant beats from the Naughty Corner!

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

Definitely day, normally drinking from around 10am, watching some of the early bands. Normally knackered by 01:00 and finding my way back to the tent soon after.

Can't believe @bennyhana22hasn't been on here to shame us all. I don't know how he does it. He's a doctor, you know ;)

25 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Definitely day, normally drinking from around 10am, watching some of the early bands. Normally knackered by 01:00 and finding my way back to the tent soon after.

Can't believe @bennyhana22hasn't been on here to shame us all. I don't know how he does it. He's a doctor, you know ;)

Had a wee lurk, Gnomy.

Felt like to describe my festival could only be construed as:

(a) being a twat

(b) showing off

(c) Olympic standard bullshitting

(d) all of the above

But, the answer for me is both. Go hard or go home.

1130-0030h: bands; loads of bands; as many as possible; ideally whole sets; distance between sets will not preclude seeing bands; the JPT - Park - JPT combo is a bastard, but you're a long time dead/without a ticket

0030h - 0700h: DJs; Techno DJs; loads of DJs; as many as possible; ideally whole sets; distance between DJs will not deter; the SEC - Beat Hotel - SEC combo is a bastard

Sleep: yeah; a bit; occasionally

:)

Ben

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

Had a wee lurk, Gnomy.

(a) being a twat

(b) showing off

(d) all of the above

1130-0030h: bands; loads of bands; as many as possible; ideally whole sets; distance between sets will not preclude seeing bands; the JPT - Park - JPT combo is a bastard, but you're a long time dead/without a ticket

0030h - 0700h: DJs; Techno DJs; loads of DJs; as many as possible; ideally whole sets; distance between DJs will not deter; the SEC - Beat Hotel - SEC combo is a bastard

Ben

I really don't know how you do it!!

3 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I really don't know how you do it!!

I promise it's not FOMO.

It's just a ridiculous obsessive quality I have that cannot even contemplate not using every flippin' minute doing something amazing.

I genuinely see it as packing a whole year's worth of anticipation and wonder into five days...

Interestingly, I've got worse even though I'm getting older (I'm far too old to be using my current Glastonbury schedule...). I only started coming to Glastonbury in 2015, and never realised before just how limited were all the other festivals I've been to, with regards to the night-time. I am, therefore, making up for lost years of genuine festival all-nighters!

Ben 

Im a bit of both , but unfortunately once I've woken up and had the first pee of the day ... lenor bottle to hand !! I find it hard to sleep again so I'm usually awake  before 8am much as id like to sleep later .. i spend a bit of time tidying the camp before people I'm with rise .. bed time can vary from 1.30 am until 3.00 ish , but rarely get any sleep before 2 with the beat hotel hammering out the tunes nearby ... a few years back we did see some sunrises in near the stone circle so 6am return to tent ... but those days are gone now :( my legs just  seem to give in ... usually when I'm at the furthest extremities of the site from my tent 

14 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Had a wee lurk, Gnomy.

(a) being a twat

(b) showing off

(d) all of the above

Ben

Ben, you shouldn't be on this thread. The title plainly says day OR night, not 'both at the same time, if not a little bit longer'.

8 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Given that Glastonbury time must be maxed out, I usually do both. Thursday go to bed around 2ish, but stay up till 8am on Friday, get a few hours and plod on through until sunrise on Saturday. One of our crew has never been up past 1am at Glastonbury (and it's usually before). This year he's determined to see the subrise at least once, so has got some ridiculous plan of altering his body clock in the preceeding days. Let's see how that pans out...

I really like Strunmmersville for a nice hang out in the wee hours of the morning. Its a bit hidden away, but such a cool vibe and loads of nice people to chat to. Not sure what its like in the day, but probably epic. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up. 

It's weird, I don't see anything wrong with that, getting a good nights sleep. I don't understand how all you people aren't a complete mess if you don't sleep properly. Also if you go to bed that late you miss yoga in the morning. 

6 hours ago, Wilfko said:

It's ALOT better past 1 I found. Found it by accident on Friday and dragged my mates up too early Sat when it was dead and nothing special.

Aaah good to know so I don't make the same mistake this year!

Edited by Sasperella

5 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Can I go on record to say that to my knowledge Tom has never felt me up. 

I bet @LondonTom has tried

Anyway, one night on it, next night slightly less on it. Although sometimes I'm knackered on a Wednesday & used to slide into my sleeping bag slightly earlier than I would have liked. The night J.E.S.u.S played was a big one.

Edited by Bisque

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I can manage something akin to this for the whole of Friday...sleeping on Friday night is not an option as usually by the time I get back to my tent some of the other guys in the crew are off for breakfast and so I go with...and then bands ensue, and then more DJs :) But by Saturday night it gets a bit much. I made it till sunrise last year but I think only as we were chilling at Strummersville so I didn't have to do anything hectic (aside from walk back to Rivermead in the mud!!). Clearly I am getting old...

10 hours ago, liamium said:

4th G for me but 1st without drugs as my company for this one is drastically different to usual. never been much of a drinker so in the past was always very easy to keep going until 7/8 in the morning with a chemical leg up, then be up and out by noon. this year, i doubt i'll last past 1-2am. 

Go solo for a night or two and have your own buzz. I did it for a night last year. You'll meet loads of people anyway.

Stay up late and get up early. I live fast sure, live too bloody fast sometimes. But die young? Die old. That's the way I...not orthodox. I don't live by "the rules"And if there's one person who has influenced me in that way of thinking, someone who is a maverick, someone who does 'that' to the system, then it's Ian Botham. 

1 hour ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Stay up late and get up early. I live fast sure, live too bloody fast sometimes. But die young? Die old. That's the way I...not orthodox. I don't live by "the rules"And if there's one person who has influenced me in that way of thinking, someone who is a maverick, someone who does 'that' to the system, then it's Ian Botham. 

Out of up votes, have a "bravo" instead. 

17 hours ago, FolkMeRight said:

This year is my fifth Glastonbury and it's time to come clean - I have never stayed up past 1am! There, I've said it and it's off Folk's chest. I have come to the conclusion that I am 100% a 'Glastonbury creature of the day' and at the ripe old age of 35 I am no longer ashamed to admit it. The years of peer pressure from our closely knit Glastonbury group to get me out all night have taken their toll though as I still worry that I am missing out and not getting the most out of my festival. Then again, last year I was up with the larks at The Park on the Sunday morning enjoying two or three great bands.

Are you a creature of the day or a creature of the night? What is better? Am I missing out? Any non-substance related advice for maximising my festival?

I've always had mixed feelings about it, this is my fifth Glasto too, but my friends and I have always been night people, stayin up till 5 or 6 am most nights, going up the flag tower when the sun rises, walking past the pyramid when then there's no one around, raving in the SE corner etc. But my last Glasto was three years ago and I'm running out of this kind of steam! Thinking of starting early and making the most of the day now. I just can't drink and go crazy, so late. It's all relative nayway. We used to wake up 11 or 12 and party till 5, but there's not really a diff if you start at 8 and go until 1. Just enjoy whatever makes you feel happy! Don't feel like you're missing out or nowt

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:14 PM, Joshuwarr said:

Night. I think last year the earliest I was in bed was about 3AM. The other nights it was very much a case of stumbling back as the sky was getting lighter by the minute. I seem to wake by around 10 so a good 3-5 hours sleep does me alright.

Considering my age, my festival is a lot like this. :D (although on sunny years it has been known for me to catch a few zzz in the afternoon sunshone)

No matter who I go with, I am ALWAYS the first up... always. Frustrates the living f**k out of me waiting around for other people. This year I have decided that if I am up and ready to go, the sleepy heads can catch up with me later!

On 23/03/2017 at 3:08 PM, MilkyJoe said:

Day with a little bit of night for me. I like to wander after the headliners but have pretty much given up on the SEC since the queueing got so bad. Usually back at the tent around 3ish and up about 8 to make bacon sandwiches and people watch!

We so have to get you a ticket. Where do you normally camp? :D

I'm a bit of both, not really a morning person. Saturday night is usually my all nighter. 

2 hours ago, Sweet_pea said:

This year I have decided that if I am up and ready to go, the sleepy heads can catch up with me later!

Go for a wander and maybe get some breakfast / lunch, then by the time you get back everyone should be ready. That's what I do otherwise I'd lose patience.

Hmm I'm 35 too, like the op. I've noticed that getting old (or older) has had a massive impact on my ability to stay up later. I'm now known for  regularly taking myself of and going to bed amongst my circle of friends, on a normal night out I just can't seem to hack it anymore and once I have a twinge of tiredness I just can't get it out of my head, and I just want to go to bed... but what I've found is that if I have the right stimulation (and I'm not talking drugs) as in a good environment, good music etc then I'm fine, I can generally keep going much longer. Last year I was probably a mixture, probably a couple of early nights and a couple of a couple of late ones too, but I tend to find in an environment like Glastonbury the right sort of music keeps me going, but in an everyday situation I just get bored and tired and want my bed.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Hmm I'm 35 too, like the op. I've noticed that getting old (or older) has had a massive impact on my ability to stay up later. I'm now known for  regularly taking myself of and going to bed amongst my circle of friends, on a normal night out I just can't seem to hack it anymore and once I have a twinge of tiredness I just can't get it out of my head, and I just want to go to bed... but what I've found is that if I have the right stimulation (and I'm not talking drugs) as in a good environment, good music etc then I'm fine, I can generally keep going much longer. Last year I was probably a mixture, probably a couple of early nights and a couple of a couple of late ones too, but I tend to find in an environment like Glastonbury the right sort of music keeps me going, but in an everyday situation I just get bored and tired and want my bed.

Same but with actual stimulants as I find energy drinks really work well for me. I don't drink tea or coffee so caffeine has a bigger affect on me (I think, won't drink Pepsi max after 8pm or won't sleep well). Will be bringing 8 - 10 monster low carb again this year.