A creature of the day or a creature of the night?

FolkMeRight

3 minutes ago, GMF said:

I did consider starting a different thread but thought I would hijack this one.

This is my second festival and last time we stayed off site as some of the group did not want to camp, this meant leaving site around midnight. I have won the argument and we are camping this year.

I am looking for some advice on what areas we should visit, I am not much into dancing and don't take drugs, but will happily drink well into the night. I am looking for a more chilled late night experience, somewhere to sit and drink, maybe some music, comedy and a bit of chat. This is making me sound really dull but looking for some suggestions.

Hi, my first thoughts were the Park area, Crows Nest and various bars there, and the Rocket Lounge off the railway line, maybe not too chilled, but small and musical.  In the craft fields there was/is a small quiet bar behind the area where people can carve stone.  I don't veer off for the comedy but the Cabaret Fields should be fine for that. Greenfields should also be chilled though.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, GMF said:

This is my second festival and last time we stayed off site as some of the group did not want to camp, this meant leaving site around midnight. I have won the argument and we are camping this year.

I am looking for some advice on what areas we should visit, I am not much into dancing and don't take drugs, but will happily drink well into the night. I am looking for a more chilled late night experience, somewhere to sit and drink, maybe some music, comedy and a bit of chat. This is making me sound really dull but looking for some suggestions.

You should try out Green Futures mate. There's a cocktail bar called Fluffy Rock Cafe that does reasonably priced, strong cocktails. The Mandala tent is open till 3AM and has some great Acoustic acts there, Toad Hall and The Lizard Stage are a good shout if you fancy a bit of a dance.

Also try out Theatre & Circus late at night. The Cabaret tent is open till late as is Sensation Seekers and Mavericks. Also A Little More Sensation is my favourite stage of the entire festival, it's a tiny stage tucked in the corner of Bellas Field that has some great fireshows on in the evening. 

Day with a little bit of night for me. I like to wander after the headliners but have pretty much given up on the SEC since the queueing got so bad. Usually back at the tent around 3ish and up about 8 to make bacon sandwiches and people watch!

Given that Glastonbury time must be maxed out, I usually do both. Thursday go to bed around 2ish, but stay up till 8am on Friday, get a few hours and plod on through until sunrise on Saturday. One of our crew has never been up past 1am at Glastonbury (and it's usually before). This year he's determined to see the subrise at least once, so has got some ridiculous plan of altering his body clock in the preceeding days. Let's see how that pans out...

18 minutes ago, GMF said:

I really like Strunmmersville for a nice hang out in the wee hours of the morning. Its a bit hidden away, but such a cool vibe and loads of nice people to chat to. Not sure what its like in the day, but probably epic. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up. 

24 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Also try out Theatre & Circus late at night. The Cabaret tent is open till late as is Sensation Seekers and Mavericks. Also A Little More Sensation is my favourite stage of the entire festival, it's a tiny stage tucked in the corner of Bellas Field that has some great fireshows on in the evening. 

Don't think I've ever managed to catch this - looking at clashfinder the night stuff on A Little More Sensation is on from midnight, for a little over an hour?  Mamadoo then fire show, then Mamadoo again, whatever Mamadoo is (worth catching?)

28 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

You should try out Green Futures mate. There's a cocktail bar called Fluffy Rock Cafe that does reasonably priced, strong cocktails. The Mandala tent is open till 3AM and has some great Acoustic acts there, Toad Hall and The Lizard Stage are a good shout if you fancy a bit of a dance.

Another one for T&C fields and Fluffy rock is great for cocktails plus manic organic next door for yummy food

Park area is another fav and going to call out William's green too.... went to Club de Fromage after hours and that was one of the best nights I've had 

I'm all excited now :D

In 2015 I was up at the Stone Circle in the early hours of Sunday morning.

I got chatting to a couple and they had been up there since Wednesday.

I would say the were creatures of caning it !

On another matter our group is a varied mix .  Some like to be in bed after one Cider by the Bus when the bands finish , then get up early  others  like to stop out late.  So as some of our group are getting up some are just going to bed.

So pleasantries are exchanged at the turnaround by the tents

1 minute ago, ivan said:

In 2015 I was up at the Stone Circle in the early hours of Sunday morning.

I got chatting to a couple and they had been up there since Wednesday.

I would say the were creatures of caning it !

On another matter our group is a varied mix .  Some like to be in bed after one Cider by the Bus when the bands finish , then get up early  others  like to stop out late.  So as some of our group are getting up some are just going to bed.

So pleasantries are exchanged at the turnaround by the tents

Sounds like you could take less tents and set up a hot bedding rota.

Bit of a mixed bag for me, couple of sunrises and a couple of 2/3AM finishes. 

The thing that made a big difference for me last time was holding off on the booze until 4ish most days. 

Not drinking cider as soon as you wake makes you feel better. Who knew?! 

Yeah both too - but not consistently.

It's been a bit of trial and error really. For example, the first few years I didn't go hard on Sunday night while everyone else made the most of their last few hours. So one year I gave it a go, and wanted to kill them al on the Monday, so I no longer stay up all night Sunday.

Also two years on the trot I tried a nap on the Thursday night before going to meet the others. Two years on the trot I must have turned my alarm off in my sleep and woke up bewildered at earliest 3am.. serious case of FOMO. So last year I made sure I didn't go as heavy Wednesday (when there's less to do) so I could go big on Thursday.

Some of my best memories are stumbling home while it's getting light outside.. but I cannot hack that every day as I like to be up for some of the first bands. 

3 hours ago, phil the shrew said:

Definately day time for me. 

Stay off site at nearby mates house so normally get back there for about 2am - nice sleep and shower and back on site about 9am. Love the quiet at that time and seeing the festival come to life whilst having a coffee in Bella's Field with the sun on your back is one of life's great pleasures

Like to try and see lots of bands each day which involves a fair bit of walking, and in wet muddy years in particular I'm knackered by midnight

One of the great things about Glastonbury is the massive range of experiences people can have, all different but important to that individual

I think you have summed it up pretty well there Phil.

Edited by FolkMeRight

2 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

I really need to spend more time at the Green Fields! Mrs Folk made a lip balm with natural ingredients there last year and I also dropped into a seminar on lowering my carbon footprint last year which was an eye opener! I have never been up there late before though and it's something I would like to do this year. 

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Given that Glastonbury time must be maxed out, I usually do both. Thursday go to bed around 2ish, but stay up till 8am on Friday, get a few hours and plod on through until sunrise on Saturday. One of our crew has never been up past 1am at Glastonbury (and it's usually before). This year he's determined to see the subrise at least once, so has got some ridiculous plan of altering his body clock in the preceeding days. Let's see how that pans out...

I really like Strunmmersville for a nice hang out in the wee hours of the morning. Its a bit hidden away, but such a cool vibe and loads of nice people to chat to. Not sure what its like in the day, but probably epic. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up. 

It's ALOT better past 1 I found. Found it by accident on Friday and dragged my mates up too early Sat when it was dead and nothing special.

4 hours ago, p.pete said:

Don't think I've ever managed to catch this - looking at clashfinder the night stuff on A Little More Sensation is on from midnight, for a little over an hour?  Mamadoo then fire show, then Mamadoo again, whatever Mamadoo is (worth catching?)

Yeah that's the one, it's basically just a bunch of fire spinners doing a routine but it's seriously addicting. It's where I ended up most nights last year cause I was too knackered/couldn't be arsed to traipse through the mud to get to anywhere else.

Also the Ridge & Farrow is conveniently located right opposite.