A creature of the day or a creature of the night?

FolkMeRight

I tried an all nighter on the Wednesday of my first Glasto. Ended up shitting myself in my sleeping bag. True story. I don't even know how it happened. It was Wednesday, FFS.

These days, I tend to be up at about 10am, sleep by about 4am latest. I'll be asleep by 1am on the Sunday, and awake by about 5am to leave the site. I don't hang about at that point.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year was my first year and I'd have to say I was probably more of a day person. Being my first time I wanted to cover every square meter so by the time night came I was gubbed! Made a conscious (nearly unconscious) decision to go to SE corner and stay up for sunrise Sunday into Monday and I'm so glad I did. 

Would have to disagree with anyone that says you its impossible to do both though. Couple of folk in our group done 20+ hours shifts 5 days straight. Was rather spectacular but by no means pretty!

@Mezhyp1

I used to be day, but weirdly as I've got older I've become more night.

I used to think staying up all night to essentially go clubbing and miss loads of bands was ridiculous. But since the advent of Arcadia, LV, etc, my opinion has v much changed. Still see loads of bands though.

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Worst thing possible for me. If I stop drinking and lay down you won't see me till morning. Much better chance of staying up then getting back up. 

Yeh well maybe you're just too too old :)

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Worst thing possible for me. If I stop drinking and lay down you won't see me till morning. Much better chance of staying up then getting back up. 

Yup.  Tried that last year.  Crawled out of my tent at about 9am.

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Same deal, tried this a couple of times and came round about 5, realised it would be like day of the dead if I headed back out and figured try and get some more kip.

I like a late night wander - don't get much out of SE corner, but happy having a wander round the site and seeing where I end up.  Not had too many wanders in the last few years - might be age, but largely I reckon if it's raining or I'm knackered then I couldn't be bothered - save my energy for the day.

1 minute ago, whisty said:

Yeh well maybe you're just too too old :)

I'm taking my middle step-daughter over to Manchester to a gig tonight, and she's asking me if I need a nap beforehand. <_<

Last year, was 7am to 2/3am each day.  I keep thinking about trying later in the SE corner, but then can't be bothered.

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Always been the same. Even all dayers at uni. Start at 11 could go all the way till the next morning. Go back in the evening for an hour or two and wouldn't even see 9 o clock.. 

Well I have to say I had 2 years on the spin where I woke up in my tent thinking why is it so quiet & it being 03:00 ish. I'd been waiting for the headliner and no idea I'd completely missed it or how I got back to tent! So i kind of lied, it wasn't by design.  Anyway I did last year go out at 01:30 to catch a fav band :)  We can only squeeze in so much eh.

Just now, whisty said:

Well I have to say I had 2 years on the spin where I woke up in my tent thinking why is it so quiet & it being 03:00 ish. I'd been waiting for the headliner and no idea I'd completely missed it or how I got back to tent! So i kind of lied, it wasn't by design.  Anyway I did last year go out at 01:30 to catch a fav band :)  We can only squeeze in so much eh.

You need that VR malarkey on the other thread, you'll fit it all in :P

13 minutes ago, LSF said:

Last year was my first year and I'd have to say I was probably more of a day person. Being my first time I wanted to cover every square meter so by the time night came I was gubbed! Made a conscious (nearly unconscious) decision to go to SE corner and stay up for sunrise Sunday into Monday and I'm so glad I did. 

Would have to disagree with anyone that says you its impossible to do both though. Couple of folk in our group done 20+ hours shifts 5 days straight. Was rather spectacular but by no means pretty!

@Mezhyp1

This is true. 

I'm might sacrifice the odd bad during the day just to find somewhere to chill for a while, and don't hit the drink/drugs harder until later in the evening. But I was out and about by midday each day and wasn't back to my tent until about 5 a the earliest. Being in the SE Corner at 6am when the last beat drops and just looking around at the sights is really something special 

8 minutes ago, Homer said:

Mt mate introduced me to the one night on, one night off policy. Basically, go hard and heavy Friday and Sunday night; go pretty much straight home after the Sat night headliner. It does work!

I'm starting a Thurs&Sat vs Fri&Sun thread :P

Will be more dayman than nightman this year. Last time I had a big Saturday night, walking back to the tent at half 6 in the morning is a surreal experience, that I had never done at any other festival before. I enjoyed it, but I couldnt do it on the regular.

Sunday I wish I had gone back to the tent straight after Chems, there was no way the night was getting better from there.

So in conclusion I like to play it by ear and try to make the right decisions for how I'm feeling at that specific time and place. As I once got told while walking out of a gig by a guy completely off his face who overheard our discussion of where we should go after, 'don't chase the night'. Not a wiser word has been spoken from a person as fucked as that.

Definately day time for me. 

Stay off site at nearby mates house so normally get back there for about 2am - nice sleep and shower and back on site about 9am. Love the quiet at that time and seeing the festival come to life whilst having a coffee in Bella's Field with the sun on your back is one of life's great pleasures

Like to try and see lots of bands each day which involves a fair bit of walking, and in wet muddy years in particular I'm knackered by midnight

One of the great things about Glastonbury is the massive range of experiences people can have, all different but important to that individual

I'm usually in bed by around 3/4AM. Up by around 9 and wondering about with a beer in my hand by about 10. I love early mornings at Glasto, especially when you find a decent bar to watch the people that are stumbling about from the night before or just getting up to face the day.

Deffo a day time person then. 

I did consider starting a different thread but thought I would hijack this one.

This is my second festival and last time we stayed off site as some of the group did not want to camp, this meant leaving site around midnight. I have won the argument and we are camping this year.

I am looking for some advice on what areas we should visit, I am not much into dancing and don't take drugs, but will happily drink well into the night. I am looking for a more chilled late night experience, somewhere to sit and drink, maybe some music, comedy and a bit of chat. This is making me sound really dull but looking for some suggestions.

always prefer the days to nights. Love walking around/seeing acts in the sun (ha ha) with a beer. My mates and I are normally up until about 4am, but around then we tend to crash after an early start/smoking too much during the day. 

That being said I'm gonna try make the most of this year as I can seeing as we won't be back at the farm until 2019, by which time I'll be 23!!!

3 minutes ago, GMF said:

This is my second festival and last time we stayed off site as some of the group did not want to camp, this meant leaving site around midnight. I have won the argument and we are camping this year.

I am looking for some advice on what areas we should visit, I am not much into dancing and don't take drugs, but will happily drink well into the night. I am looking for a more chilled late night experience, somewhere to sit and drink, maybe some music, comedy and a bit of chat. This is making me sound really dull but looking for some suggestions.

Someone will be along soon with the glasto earth link that is really useful.

Wherever you camp you will be miles away from bits and close to others, it sounds like the Park/bar in the Theatre & Circus field late night vibes might be up your street though. Far less intense than the Shangri La experience.

4 minutes ago, GMF said:

On the Friday and Saturday night the Cabaret tent is on till about 2am and there are a variety of comedy and cabaret acts in there, and smaller stages in that area have done good acts on too.