Which day do you prefer Wednesday or Sunday ?

brighton1983

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Untz said:

I would. Fight me.

I usually want to go home Sunday and I can't figure out exactly why. I've had the same feeling at 4 day fests too. I think I get fed up of the feeling of having to do stuff. I'm a sulking mess when I go on non-'lounging round the pool' holidays too.

Maybe arrive a day later then?

Just now, brighton1983 said:

I just find sometimes that on the sunday you are watching bands for the sake of it rather than enjoying it like you did the 2 previous days, it can end up just being an exercise in ticking bands off and moving on.

Were you at LCD Soundsystem and the Chemical Brothers?

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Tearfully, on a Sunday:

"Glastonbury isn't as good as it used to be 24 hours ago."

I've had that a lot. You just have to really persevere and it ends up being the best night (see, er, LCD Soundsystem and the Chemical Brothers!).

I usually find Sunday a bit of a struggle tbh, but there is no way I'd give that up in favour of the Wednesday. Not when the fest is in full swing.

There's no finer way to spend Sunday daytime than in the theatre/caberet/acoustic/avalon corner of the site which we do most years - absolute bliss and slightly slower pace than elsewhere which is most welcome on the last day. And some fine ales round that way ;)

best time of the whole weekend though for me is Thursday at dusk. The whole place seems to come alive for the first time. Glasto magic :)

If theres a performer you fancy on the Sunday then its a no-brainer. Blur/Stevie/Queens/Patti amongst my fave shows at the farm and were Sunday efforts.

A sunny Wednesday in its own way is the best day of the entire year however.

Edited by Wooderson

To answer the OP, if you have to make a decision on which day to leave out, maybe you should wait to see the day splits before doing so? Other options are:

1. I assume you're from Brighton, that's about three hours or so drive to Pilton. Why not pack your car in advance in the morning and head straight over after work on the Wednesday? You could be on site for 9pm.

Or:

2. Have a sober Sunday and leave just after the final headliner or before if there's no one you particularly want to see. Take your tent down and load the car up in the morning ready to leave. It would be a late one home but at least it reduces how much time you'll miss.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

To revisit the OP's dilemma - does a Wednesday when you have to leave early feel as good as a Thursday when you don't?

I arrive on Thursday every year. I have a shower and brush my teeth first and can confirm that I do feel fresh and up for the festival.

20 minutes ago, Homer said:

This is beyond ridiculous. You presumably don't feel all fresh on Weds because Weds is magic. It's because you've just arrived at the fest. You can replicate this feeling by turning up on Thursday, while also getting in really quickly and still catching all three days of bands.

Weds is the best day? They should just do away with all the band rubbish and just make it into a five-day camping holiday. I know everyone is trying to out-Glastonbury everyone else - but during LCD Soundsystem last year, was anyone seriously getting distracted because they were looking back to those halcyon days when their hair felt more fresh? Or the Chemical Brothers the year before? I literally don't know how to understand this point of view. It's completely beyond me.

What Homer said.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

To revisit the OP's dilemma - does a Wednesday when you have to leave early feel as good as a Thursday when you don't?

What about aiming to arrive on a Wednesday, but you're 1 mile outside, all day?

I think the earlier time would be better, but even then, I'd rather arrive Thursday to spend Sunday onsite.

I'd always done Wednesday - Monday since I first went in the 90s.  Since having children I too have had to do a shorter festival for the first time last year. I opted for the Wednesday - Sunday, based on the previous years' experience of Wednesday being my favourite day.  

In my mind Wednesday is usually sunny, and rain doesn't start until Thursday (I know this isn't always the case but it's what's stored in my mind somehow).  Wednesday is the pure excitement of arrival, and the comfort of having a week load of brilliant ahead of you.  Wednesday and Thursday are also unencumbered by a lineup telling you were to be at what time; they are freer.  In addition, I hated the idea of everyone being there and having fun whilst I'm changing nappies til Thursday.

But leaving on Sunday was weird.  In previous years I've been annoyed at other people leaving on a Sunday, the clean green grass where their tents used to be was an unwanted reminder of the festival nearing an end.  As a protest I joined the "drink all the things Sunday" club which has led to Sunday being spectacularly memorable/unmemorable in its own right.

It didn't help that I had to leave around 2pm, so missed most of the day's entertainment.  The weirdness started on Saturday evening, with the knowledge this was my last night but everyone else around me had another day and night to go.  It was weird getting up and staying sober whilst everyone around me started on the breakfast wine. Getting home and watching on telly was a very odd experience.

So I'm not sure what I'm going to do this year.   At the moment I'm leaning to go on Wednesday, but I should be able to leave the decision til quite late which may mean I base my decision on Sunday's lineup.  Ed Sheeran is a good headliner to have if I'm going to be offsite before he starts. 

TLDR: missing a day either end is rubbish, but better than not going at all.

Edited by uscore

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

So you've never experienced the Wednesday yet you're dead against it?

Yes, I've been on the Weds. Didn't t think it was all that so I save my holiday for other things (like going abroad) instead. Nice try though!

Also, I'm not 'dead against' the Wednesday! I just find it ludicrous that people are saying it is better than a band day.

Edited by Homer

12 minutes ago, SPTFRE said:

To answer the OP, if you have to make a decision on which day to leave out, maybe you should wait to see the day splits before doing so? Other options are:

1. I assume you're from Brighton, that's about three hours or so drive to Pilton. Why not pack your car in advance in the morning and head straight over after work on the Wednesday? You could be on site for 9pm.

Or:

2. Have a sober Sunday and leave just after the final headliner or before if there's no one you particularly want to see. Take your tent down and load the car up in the morning ready to leave. It would be a late one home but at least it reduces how much time you'll miss.

Is probably what ill do. Ill check whats on the sunday and just get off in the afternoon.