2017 vs Previous Editions

magicglasto

52 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Every year is shitter than the one preceding it. So you will be attending the worst ever Glastonbury regardless of irrelevant matters like the line up.

Console yourself with the fact that when you go in 2019 you can declare that the festival isn't as good as it used to be. 

My only ? is the way the ticket price has doubled in over the past decade. If a tick is £500+ in 2027 that'd be unsustainable.

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

Huh? Because it's the greatest place on earth.

What a strange question.

I know that. that's why I don't describe it as getting shitter evey year. What a strange way to describe the place. It's the best place on earth - but it's getting shitter every year. That's why I asked if you were serious - cos it's comedy gold - but an odd way of looking at things

8 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Mate you have no idea. You could walk around Leeds festival 20 or more times and not cover the ground at Glastonbury. I envy you you're first experience as you walk in. (although if you're lugging loads of sh#t you may have a "it's not worth it" moment as you queue. That feeling will disappear within seconds. 

My first Glastonbury I duct taped 8 crates of 20beers to a pathetic sack barrow and the wheels failed about 1/4 of the way there. Carrying that thing to Dairy Fields almost killed me.

Learn to just take your tent and an evenings supply only, then have a pleasant supply run Fri morning.

9 hours ago, magicglasto said:

Hello ! 

Don't you think, about rumors and confirmed acts, that this year seems under the other ones ? Your point of view? 

If you compare to the previous headliners ( Adele, Kanye, Arcade Fire, Patti Smith, Rolling Stones ... ) 
I mean, except Radiohead which is HUGE .... I like Foo Fighters but they are everywhere. 

It's the year i'm coming so I strongly hope that the line up will be as good as before ... 

Foo Fighters are a UK Exclusive completely, no other fest show nor own dates. Ed's only festival show anywhere worldwide this year too. It's as big as they have had for a while. The Stones was huge but still did BST for two nights and probably just beats it.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Foo Fighters are a UK Exclusive completely, no other fest show nor own dates. Ed's only festival show anywhere worldwide this year too. It's as big as they have had for a while. The Stones was huge but still did BST for two nights and probably just beats it.

Like him or loathe him Ed is a huge booking, however Radiohead and FF are both doing numerous festivals worldwide this year so aren't scoops in any way shape or form, that's not to say they aren't big bookings though. I can see what the OP is getting at however it seems short sighted to have a downer based purely n the headliners on where me stage at a festival the size of Glastonbury 

10 hours ago, magicglasto said:

Hello ! 

Don't you think, about rumors and confirmed acts, that this year seems under the other ones ? Your point of view? 

If you compare to the previous headliners ( Adele, Kanye, Arcade Fire, Patti Smith, Rolling Stones ... ) 
I mean, except Radiohead which is HUGE .... I like Foo Fighters but they are everywhere. 

It's the year i'm coming so I strongly hope that the line up will be as good as before ... 

I can't speak French, so I'll just let the funky music do the talking;

The funky music says 2017 is going to be a classic.

For me so far the bands confirmed and rumoured are not my thing but don't really care because I will be away from the shackles of life for 5 days ,plenty of things to see and do etc at a nice slow pace .

Seen most of the bands I've wanted since 1990 at glasto , only one I really wanted was the stone roses this year as I reckon they would have delivered a he'll of a show but sadly that's not happening 

Fingers crossed for John cooper clarke and hugh cornwell tho and frank turner .

It's probably not entirely fair to compare to a few announced acts and rumours to acts that have been hand picked from previous festivals. It would also be possible to pick a bunch of acts that you really hate from the same years and conclude that this year must be the greatest ever. :)

One of the joys of Glasto is taking time away from the main stages and just seeing what you discover. Very often the most amazing experiences at the festival happen when you do just that.

11 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Mate you have no idea. You could walk around Leeds festival 20 or more times and not cover the ground at Glastonbury. I envy you you're first experience as you walk in. (although if you're lugging loads of sh#t you may have a "it's not worth it" moment as you queue. That feeling will disappear within seconds. 

This.

We have one newby in our group of 12 who are going...our mates Mrs...who's never been camping let along a festival (and cried in the queue for the Anne Frank Museum cos it pissed it down bad), oh and she's the only girl...

But I'm jealous cos I think she's gonna cope and have an unreal time. She's with a good group who will look after her and make sure see goes about things the right way. Dry weather will help immensely, obviously.

She's not a massive fan of chemicals and the like...I think she's in for a shock in that respect. Particularly as her fella has played down how much he'll be getting on it....ha!

I'm so excited to explore more this year, I have done more each time I've gone. This'll only be my 4th, but you just know there's still things to discover!

Edited by Stokesy10

57 minutes ago, musky said:

It's probably not entirely fair to compare to a few announced acts and rumours to acts that have been hand picked from previous festivals. It would also be possible to pick a bunch of acts that you really hate from the same years and conclude that this year must be the greatest ever. :)

One of the joys of Glasto is taking time away from the main stages and just seeing what you discover. Very often the most amazing experiences at the festival happen when you do just that.

Without a shadow of doubt. My first Glasto, a mate of mine (seasoned pro) said this to me. Took me til the 2nd Glasto to realise how bang on he was.

This is why I'm glad Ed is playing the Sunday, so I can be elsewhere. I couldn't be doing with going to all 3 Pyramid headliners. 

1 hour ago, Stokesy10 said:

Without a shadow of doubt. My first Glasto, a mate of mine (seasoned pro) said this to me. Took me til the 2nd Glasto to realise how bang on he was.

This is why I'm glad Ed is playing the Sunday, so I can be elsewhere. I couldn't be doing with going to all 3 Pyramid headliners. 

I'm usually away from the Pyramid during the headline slots. I find it's usually just a gig-in-a-field™ compared to what else is on offer, which is high praise for the breadth of what is available.

Newbies tend to know Glastonbury is big but don't usually know what that means. I mean, 1.5 miles across is big but doesn't seem that far to walk. It's only when you think of that area stuck over the top a city centre with all the bars, venues, nightclubs and cool hangouts that you haven't even discovered yet that you really start to get what Glastonbury has to offer.

Edited by musky

30 minutes ago, musky said:

I'm usually away from the Pyramid during the headline slots. I find it's usually just a gig-in-a-field™ compared to what else is on offer, which is high praise for the breadth of what is available.

Newbies tend to know Glastonbury is big but don't usually know what that means. I mean, 1.5 miles across is big but doesn't seem that far to walk. It's only when you think of that area stuck over the top a city centre with all the bars, venues, nightclubs and cool hangouts that you haven't even discovered yet that you really start to get what Glastonbury has to offer.

You're spot on. And don't get me wrong, I'm not one for hanging out at the Pyramid for the sake of its stature, I'd like to avoid it. But as luck would have it, on the 4 occasions I've been, there has happened to be a handful of acts playing or subbing that I really like!

I'll be at Radiohead, cos I'm dangerously excited about it. As it stands, ill check out Foo's, cos I know they'll put a good live performance on. However if someone stupidly good is against them on t'Other I'll be there. 2 nights is too many for me at the Pyramid, so I'll play that by ear.

The nights/days I've had stumbling upon acts/areas whilst intoxicated have far exceeded any other.

On 22/03/2017 at 2:38 PM, carlosj said:

Si on peut se tutoyer, tu dois utiliser le clef  <<alt>> avec les clefs de numéros pour incluire des accents, par exemple <<alt>> avec 1 3 0 produit <<é>>. Ca va mon pôte?

http://usefulshortcuts.com/alt-codes/accents-alt-codes.php

Idees au dessous de son gare?

Seriously MagicGlasto, the line up poster is a bit like a French road sign that tells you the final destination at the end of a long route nationale without mentioning all the interesting places you might pass through on the way.  Even if you're not interested in the city at the end of the road you'll have a brilliant journey along the way.

Edited by grumpyhack

If its not filled with named bands that you already like when the line up is fully announced then just hit youtube/spotify etc and go through the bands that are on and youll find a fair few new ones you like. 

Thats one of the great things about festivals, you find so many new bands to become fans of. Ive spent countless hours at the tents that feature what are basically local acts who probably cant even sell out the local pub and seen some tremendous bands. 

Ive also seen bands that werent known and went on to become huge bands (Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire to name two that were very low on the billing at Leeds back in about 05 as an example). 

Sometimes its better not to have an abundance of big named bands, you can find new music and sometines the lower stages have better atmosphere as well. 

There will be plenty of top bands you'll already enjoy once the poster is released and the poster usually has a load of bands that havent even been linked as well but even if not youll have a great time. 

Edited by chatty