How much cash does it take to have a really good festival?

Hacky

I tend to bring £50 a day + £100 for safety. I spend most of that. I bring in eight cans of cider and a bottle of vodka. Most expenditure is on food and Thatchers, although thinking of scaling back on drink, as I loathe experiencing half a set needing the toilet. 

I think what you like to do and where you spend your time has a big influence on this. I've only been twice, 2015 and 2016, the first year I took £500 for me and my wife to start us off, and I expected to need more money at some point. I think we ended up spending no more than about £200 over the whole festival. Because it was our first Glastonbury we spent a lot of time at the Pyramid etc so just used our own booze (which obviously has a cost of its own) when you are at the bigger stages it's pretty much impossible to visit the bars regularly, so we ended up using our own booze just for convenience more than anything. I think even if you don't spend your time at the bigger stages, the sheer scale of Glastonbury and the amount of people make it quite hard to spend too much at the bars, unless you are camped at one all day.

Reckon I may need a bit; funding my son and his girlfriend as well as myself. They don't know I'll buy their food and booze yet but it's an 18th birthday present for him so may as well give him a trip to remember with the old man as gooseberry ;-)  So looking forward to it now; I'm 51 and although music's always been a big part of my life I've never got around to going to a festival...wonder if I'll survive?

3 hours ago, SighMo said:

Reckon I may need a bit; funding my son and his girlfriend as well as myself. They don't know I'll buy their food and booze yet but it's an 18th birthday present for him so may as well give him a trip to remember with the old man as gooseberry ;-)  So looking forward to it now; I'm 51 and although music's always been a big part of my life I've never got around to going to a festival...wonder if I'll survive?

Survive? :lol: Tenner says you'll ditch the kids after a day or two and spend the rest of your time shitfaced :P and good on you, too! 

Edited by balti-pie

12 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Survive? :lol: Tenner says you'll ditch the kids after a day or two and spend the rest of your time shitfaced :P and good on you, too! 

Oh and come to the efests meet when you get dumped after tent is pitched. Lol

16 hours ago, balti-pie said:

4 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Oh and come to the efests meet when you get dumped after tent is pitched. Lol

They can't dump me too early as my son has an 'A' level exam on the Thursday morning so his girlfriend will help me pitch the tents. Will do our best to make the meet-up though.

Feels even better now I've paid and got confirmation; bough three Glasto water bottles too.

• 1 month later...

I don't tend to drink at festivals, but I do like to eat and I always take £250. That allows me to try all the food I can and to buy a few souvenirs, and I usually have a few quid left at the end.

Edited by barkley87

I think I took £200 last year.  I took a box of wine - and a lovely gent kindly donated me a box too, so that saved a little.  I eat lots and sampled quite a bit of cider.  It was about right really although I am hoping to have a little extra this year to get a couple of treats to bring home from the stalls.

I do think you could do the whole festival much cheaper that that though, I saw loads of places doing meals for a fiver and if you took some food and your booze you would need a lot, I guess if depends what you want. 

I normally get by on £200. I tend to spend more in the first 2 days than the days the main acts are on.

Me and my mates but and freeze some meat on Tuesday night and chuck it in a cool bag. Then cook it on my mates travel stove. We tend to get Wednesday breakfast and lunch out of it plus a (potential stomach bug inducing....) breakfast on the Thursday.

I work for a beer company so tend to take a lot of free booze so only really spend money on that if I fancy a cold pint towards the end of the festival!

I generally spend about £200-250 over the course of the festival - food and beers, food is generally £6-8 a meal, which I'll have twice a day, then the rest depends on how long I stay near a bar during the day and the weather - wednesday and thursday are the biggest hit as there is less to watch, so me and friends just chill out at a bar or two, and drinking all day, even if you're not on a mission, soon adds up at £4 a pint. This is more of an 'issue' if the weather is good, as it's so nice to just lounge around and have a beer.

I take my own beer for the evenings for when I'm actually watching a band, so that saves a bit, but obviously I still need to buy the beer upfront from Tesco etc :)

I usually take much more money that I think I'll need - I'm in the camper fields so I can lock stuff in my car, which means I don't need to carry all my money on me at once, but the lockups would provide a similar service if you took a spare wallet/purse for them to look after.

I'd say take more than you think you'll need, there are cash machines on site, but the queues are usually big and they are the ones that charge a fee. The days of NatWest on site are long gone.

Probably similar to most - average about 200 spends - but usually bring more. Also come with 12 cans lager, box of cider and some vodka and a little stove as i love a coffee n porridge in the mornings - lol

I'd take £200 and potentially draw out more if needed. As I come by coach I'm limited by what booze and food I can carry and in the past I've brought cans and not drunk them because I would always prefer a cold pint. We tend to buy all food there (the food is one of my highlights at the festival!), drink pints during the day and bring our own rum to mix with coke in the evenings. I also find switching to shorter drinks with caffeine really helps with the stamina at night! Never buy souvenirs but usually buy a massage in healing fields for around £15-£20.

Just a tip in case you are as daft as I can be.

Bring a lot of £5 notes

I know I have paid for something and walked away without a thought, only to realise a few minutes later I probably handed over a £ 10 note for a pint or food

I start saving them as soon as I know I have a ticket which I'm grateful was October for this year

15 hours ago, mph said:

Just a tip in case you are as daft as I can be.

Bring a lot of £5 notes

I know I have paid for something and walked away without a thought, only to realise a few minutes later I probably handed over a £ 10 note for a pint or food

I start saving them as soon as I know I have a ticket which I'm grateful was October for this year

Hope you've got rid of the paper ones.

The new notes were already in circulation so didn't bother with the old ones.

Just another thought - traders might appreciate them as well. It could save needing a lot of change if there are a lot of fivers in circulation on site